Ray questions lack of character players; Schopp discloses rumors on "partiers"

PASabreFan

No link. You'll have to listen to Ray's segment on the show on WGR550.com's audio vault and a separate file (Hour 3, I think) to hear Schopp's comment.

Maybe it's the conspiracy theorist in me, but keep in mind this is being presented on the Sabres' "flagship station." Might the Sabres be preparing the fanbase for a Bills-like culling of certain players should the team continue to flounder?

Edited by PASabreFan

He said he didn’t expect anything until Dec-Jan. JBot needs his time to access the players he wants to keep.

I don’t think he was “questioning character” rather saying it’s often overlooked and has taken a backseat to skill.

No you're right. I listened again and Rob said "character is missing in our game." I think his point was that when skill isn't taking over a game, you need character players, presumably players like he was. It was kind of a typical complaint of guys of a certain age about where the game is today.

I was listening in my car and it was a little staticy and I thought he said character is missing "in our team." Still, Bulldog took it the way I took it and went off on a rant, worried about the state of the team if character is being questioned. Then, later, MIke talked about pics of partiers and stuff.

Edited by PASabreFan

I do think Jack needs to mature before he is able to carry this team (he isn't even on track for 70 points this year). I think the first few years of his new contract could be a bit of a failure.

He also seems to get on well with Kane, who is a known partier.

Sam's play has been pure crap so I really hope he is suffering a perpetual hangover.

Oh and Bogo - he loves snow. Plus Jack likes him too.

I do think Jack needs to mature before he is able to carry this team (he isn't even on track for 70 points this year). I think the first few years of his new contract could be a bit of a failure.

He also seems to get on well with Kane, who is a known partier.

Sam's play has been pure crap so I really hope he is suffering a perpetual hangover.

Oh and Bogo - he loves snow. Plus Jack likes him too.

Purely circumstantial.

But still slightly concerning.

I think Jack is Botterill's man though. He gave him the big contract.

I would bet my life that Sam and Jack party like there's no tomorrow. All my broke friends are their age and do it, I couldn't even imagine how bad it would be if they had money. 

To be clear, I don't place much value on my life so it's not a guarantee :P

This sounds like ROR after a bad game. 

You have been saying this for some time now and I really am starting to think that you are on to something here.

I don't know that I've ever posted much of anything regarding Jack having some sort of issue with partying or a serious character flaw.  I was maybe half serious with this post. I'm not gonna pillory a kid for behavior that I had  myself.  But I might just compare him to Paul Cyr when it is convenient. I mean, that behavior when I was his age certainly didn't evolve into making a difference later in life for me.  :P

I have been somewhat open about questioning his maturity and the intensity he displays in key situations (like not being tenacious enough on the puck in OT, and half assing his coverage once he lost Sid), which makes me seriously question whether he is, or ever will be, the savior we want/need him to be.

I don't know that I've ever posted much of anything regarding Jack having some sort of issue with partying or a serious character flaw.  I was maybe half serious with this post. I'm not gonna pillory a kid for behavior that I had  myself.  But I might just compare him to Paul Cyr when it is convenient. I mean, that behavior when I was his age certainly didn't evolve into making a difference later in life for me.  :P

I have been somewhat open about questioning his maturity and the intensity he displays in key situations (like not being tenacious enough on the puck in OT, and half assing his coverage once he lost Sid), which makes me seriously question whether he is, or ever will be, the savior we want/need him to be.

I was referring to your stance that you covered in your second paragraph here and that is what I thought your point was in your post up thread where you edited a post.

Yeah, I really don't care if they behave like early 20 year olds, within reason, of course.

This idea speaks to what I've been saying since the day I got here - it's the culture that has to change. It's gone on for too long to be one guy or one incident. I don't think there is any question their are poisonous components on this team, it's up to JBot to figure out who they are and deal with it or nothing will ever change.  

I have to assume they do not think Eichel is a problem however, or else they wouldn't have signed him to the big extension. 

the culture that has to change. It's gone on for too long to be one guy or one incident. I don't think there is any question their are poisonous components on this team, it's up to JBot to figure out who they are and deal with it or nothing will ever change.  

I have to assume they do not think Eichel is a problem however, or else they wouldn't have signed him to the big extension. 

It really depends on what the extent of the alleged "partying" is, though. There isn't an NHL team on the planet without a large group of guys that parties a lot. The real question is, do they let it affect their performance when it's time to work. I didn't hear these rumors in particular, but if it's just that "we have some guys that might be notorious for getting blackout drunk", well, water is wet. If it's "Sam keeps showing up hungover and Jack takes shots between periods" then that's a problem.

Let's not forget that 5 of 6 cups in the 20teens were won by the biggest party boy on the planet Patty Kane and that LA cocaine team. 

I just think it's likely that "culture issues" if we have any aren't because of this and when the culture is better, this will still be happening.

Edited by Randall Flagg

It really depends on what the extent of the alleged "partying" is, though. There isn't an NHL team on the planet without a large group of guys that parties a lot. The real question is, do they let it affect their performance when it's time to work. I didn't hear these rumors in particular, but if it's just that "we have some guys that might be notorious for getting blackout drunk", well, water is wet. If it's "Sam keeps showing up hungover and Jack takes shots between periods" then that's a problem.

Let's not forget that 5 of 6 cups in the 20teens were won by the biggest party boy on the planet Patty Kane and that LA cocaine team. 

I just think it's likely that "culture issues" if we have any aren't because of this and when the culture is better, this will still be happening.

Yup. Does every team have players that party? Yes. Does every team have guys that participate in extracurricular activities off ice that occasionally affect their on ice performance? Of course they do. We are dealing with human beings here. To think otherwise would be naive.

We can all pretend that athletes should somehow by held to a higher standard, but that's just not the way it is, where human beings are involved. Human nature is always dominant over "the nature of an athlete", whatever that is. They aren't heroes because they play in the greatest hockey league in the world. They are just human beings who are talented enough to make a living doing something they usually (but not always) love.

We don't know any of these people, really, generally just what is committed to the cameras. They'll make mistakes, they'll do good deeds, they'll be all sorts off shades of grey in the process.

I just hope to be entertained by an entertainment product.

This idea speaks to what I've been saying since the day I got here - it's the culture that has to change. It's gone on for too long to be one guy or one incident. I don't think there is any question their are poisonous components on this team, it's up to JBot to figure out who they are and deal with it or nothing will ever change.

If this is true how does the culture stay for so long with different players ,coaches etc.? Seems it's talent evaluation to me. And this partying bs don't care and something to talk about on sports talk shows. Edited by Radar

Perreault smoked — at a time when about a third of adults smoked (source: CDC). Losing culture in Buffalo goes wayyyy back.

Culture is getting to be a buzz word around here. We've had owners who couldn't or wouldn't spend to be competitive in our leagues. They also had not stellar people running the organizations. That's not culture in my thinking. It's poor management and not keeping pace to spend what it takes to keep good players. Our GM'S have been questionable over the years. No it's not the water they drink here or a sports curse or a "losing culture" It's organization and player selection and financial decisions.

I agree that all teams have some issues and different personality types but it's a question of degree and priorities. Work hard play hard is fine, but you have to actually show up and work hard to earn the reward, not just expect the reward as a given right. 

Compared to most other teams I look at how dreadful the home record is. There was a time when we were a good team at home and now all too often we come out flat and play worse at home than on the road. You can have curfews and such on the road, keep teams close, but at home it's harder to police them so to speak and so the home record shows the results.

It's either that, or they just don't care. 

I can't tell you how glad I am you confirmed your own opinion with another opinion.

If this is true how does the culture stay for so long with different players ,coaches etc.? Seems it's talent evaluation to me. And this partying bs don't care and something to talk about on sports talk shows.

It was weakening but Pommer brought it back!  :rolleyes: