GDT: Florida Panthers at Buffalo Sabres, 7pm, 11/10/17

Andrew Amerk

Are the Panthers good?

I'm asking.

I know I harken to it all the time: The Panthers were held up here several years ago -- by an information-rich member who no longer posts regularly? -- as a team on the rise.

^^

Which role is that? Buck?

JJFiveOH, right? (I get him confused with Jsixspd due to the car-related usernames and, for awhile, Ford Mustang avatars). Florida was on the upswing, but I think they've fallen on hard times due to Ekblad's play falling off from injury, and questionable management. Weren't they the team that had a bunch of non-hockey whiz kids in the front office?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dale_Tallon#Florida_Panthers

Edited by MattPie

So it looks like Luongo has kinda fallen off the table and has been supplanted by Reimer as the #1 G, and the Panthers are DFL in GA. 

Also, Pysyk is now on their 2nd-pair.  Coincidence?

Either way:  yeeeeeeeeessssshhh.

The article I linked in the Around the NHL thread discusses their woes. Basically they suck because they have one line. They traded away all their depth in the offseason 

Scandella - Falk
McCabe - Fedun
Baloo - Antipin

Interesting.... in my mind, I see a clear senior partner in each pairing:  Scandella.... McCabe.... and on the last pairing Antipin.  Not sure if that will prove to be valid, but I've been enjoying Antipin's play.  Simple, smart, doesn't try to overplay things, but once in a while the talent seeps out.

"Finally, defensemen are coming back"

Article: Bogosian, Gorges, Beaulieu close to returning

"...ugh"

The defensemen that were hurt aren't even guys I want playing on my NHL team

I'm happy if Beaulieu takes Redmond out but I'd like almost any other Sabre defenseman we've seen this year over him. He is horrific defensively, kills plays offensively with a terrible shot that he loves to use, and inexplicably gets loads of power play time. 

I sound so pessimistic in this post but I'm excited for tonight and am feeling good about it overall. Let's go Buffalo!

I sound so pessimistic in this post but I'm excited for tonight and am feeling good about it overall. Let's go Buffalo!

I actually am kind of pessimistic.  This has the makings of a trap game in that Florida is looking at their schedule and seeing the Sabres as the easiest game they have coming up, so they come out flying, put early pressure on the Sabres, leave it all out on the ice and beat us by a goal.

Barkov is healthy and absolutely dominant this year, is probably the very early leading candidate for Selke with Kopitar. (Kopitar would get it because his team is actually good defensively.) He's going to be a top 5-10 NHL center for a long time as long as he stays healthy. 

He will have at least 3 stretches of possession cycling for over a minute tonight, it's basically a given when we play these guys. Trocheck is really good too. But we should be able to score goals. 

"Finally, defensemen are coming back"

Article: Bogosian, Gorges, Beaulieu close to returning

"...ugh"

The defensemen that were hurt aren't even guys I want playing on my NHL team

I'm happy if Beaulieu takes Redmond out but I'd like almost any other Sabre defenseman we've seen this year over him. He is horrific defensively, kills plays offensively with a terrible shot that he loves to use, and inexplicably gets loads of power play time. 

I may be deluding myself, but the glitches I've seen with B-loo this year have been, after the first couple of games, almost entirely comprised of turnovers in the offensive zone that result in breakaways or 2-on-1s for the opponent -- i.e. I haven't seen an inordinate amount of defensive zone lapses from him.

I also think the offensive zone lapses are an issue that is fixable, and that he is a really good skater with good hands.

So I think the potential is there and I want to see what a season with Howie does for him.

Nearly killed my mac watching an infected stream against Dallas.  I'm likely sitting this one out.

The same thing happened to me a few years ago with a gray-market stream, and I've not gone there since. 

I may be deluding myself, but the glitches I've seen with B-loo this year have been, after the first couple of games, almost entirely comprised of turnovers in the offensive zone that result in breakaways or 2-on-1s for the opponent -- i.e. I haven't seen an inordinate amount of defensive zone lapses from him.

I also think the offensive zone lapses are an issue that is fixable, and that he is a really good skater with good hands.

So I think the potential is there and I want to see what a season with Howie does for him.

The same thing happened to me a few years ago with a gray-market stream, and I've not gone there since. 

I hope so. And it's more likely that I am the one not seeing things clearly - I expected to not like him and I find myself hating him more than most of the board, which tells me it's likely that my brain is trying to convince me that it was right, the slimy bastard. 

My opinion of Beaulieu is still in flux.  I think a lot of my frustration with the team has been that they started out terrible and only slowly improved, with the inevitable setback the one game I got to see them live (Dallas) where they looked far worse than last season (when they actually tied it up at the end but the goal wasn't allowed).

To me, anyone who can successfully play Housley's system is fine by me.  In the early games Housley's system was still a mystery to the players.  I think the last handful of games has made a huge difference in the system and how well the team follows it.  With Balloo missing a few games, I'm willing to forgive and forget past transgressions if he starts to play within the system as the rest of the team seems to be doing.

I'd like to see the Defense score a goal tonight.

Eichel made it a point to shoot more. I'm hoping that. a.) we start to see this and b.) it works and he puts some in, igniting confidence which in turns help leads this team to string a few Ws together and climb in the standings.

The Blues have 19 goals from their defensemen this season, half of our entire output as a team, crazy stat. Our D have zero still right? I'll give apologies to Dan on that one, it wasn't the bulk of my criticism but I blamed defenseman offensive zone activity and lack of production on him, when it's looking like it was a pure roster issue. (We could use that Franson point shot about now too)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.