GDT: Sabres VS Vancouver, 7 pm ET, 20/10/17

MODO Hockey

how about bringing back in guys who are proven and can play to help now? It never hurts leaving guys in the minors a little longer then needed

I really think Guhle could help now, and I've seen enough of Porter/Paetsch.  Who is proven and can help now?

problem with GMTM was that the other GM didn't have a problem pulling the trigger cause in most cases they were getting more then they should have for what the were giving up. I was all for getting Kane, but they gave up way too much for a guy the Jets were actively looking to dump and the Sabres were one of the only teams that could give the Jets something that could help them that year while taking a player who would t be healthy til the next year. I had no problems using prospects or picks in the deal, and no problem with dealing Myers or Stafford. Too much was given up to a team you almost had over a barrel. They could have kept a few of those assetts in another deal. Giving up a 1st (even a late one) for a goalie coming off big concussion issues and not proving much before the injuries is also an overpayment. SENS needed to move someone

Giving up a 1st for an average goaltender was by far the worst move GMTM made. Yeah, he overpaid for most of the moves he made. But, the opposite extreme was Darcy who wouldn't pull the trigger on any move. I have no delusions about this team magically getting better via trade. But, to get anyone who can make a difference we need to trade a "name" player like Samson or Risto. We've had a terrible team for years now. Jack is obviously the guy we'll build around. I like ROR too because he can play in all phases of the game and good 2-way centers are hard to find. Most other guys are expendable in my book.

This man came to the conclusion this summer that he needs to be more involved than he has been, no?

He didn't want to own any of the mess he helped create, so he denied having any significant input into Murray and Bylsma. It was a lie. Maybe he was embarrassed. But he owns everything from that day forward. There's no deleting it from the media guide.

Terry isn't management

He was pretty clearly Darcy's co-GM. And he was dumb enough to brag about it. After that, who knows? I suspect he's focusing his incredible sports intellect on his real big fish, the Bills. That's good news for the Sabres. Or should be.

Giving up a 1st for an average goaltender was by far the worst move GMTM made. Yeah, he overpaid for most of the moves he made. But, the opposite extreme was Darcy who wouldn't pull the trigger on any move. I have no delusions about this team magically getting better via trade. But, to get anyone who can make a difference we need to trade a "name" player like Samson or Risto. We've had a terrible team for years now. Jack is obviously the guy we'll build around. I like ROR too because he can play in all phases of the game and good 2-way centers are hard to find. Most other guys are expendable in my book.

My gut says other GMs will chuckle at the idea that these guys are "names." Also, they'll smell blood in the water fo sho.

Edited by PASabreFan

Again:  this is why you don't tank.

When you bottom out, you usually stay at the bottom.

Now we're looking at yet another year in the wilderness.

I still think it's fairly likely that as the season progresses there will be real reasons for hope, but there's also a real likelihood that we're looking at another bottom-3 finish.

What a freaking debacle.

It's not Terry's fault. It's the players'

You guys are missing my point: he rolled the dice on a tank and he lost. Like most teams do.

Five years of horrible hockey and no payoff.

Sure we got Jack. Enjoying that?

This was a logical consequence of the tank and Terry was responsible for the tank.

i dont disagree, but i think where Darcy was hesitant to pull the trigger without being a clear winner, TM was the exact opposite where he would get too excited to get a guy he liked that he didn't care about the cost.

Basically, DR would be the guy in the dealership haggling for hours to get the undercoating and tinting thrown in for free on a new car after walking away from other dealerships that wouldn't do it. TM would be the guy walking onto the dealership offering them more the the sticker price for a car he wanted just so he can get that exact one

You guys are missing my point: he rolled the dice on a tank and he lost. Like most teams do.

This was a logical consequence of the tank and Terry was responsible for the tank.

It was not the logical consequence of a tank. Look at Toronto

He didn't want to own any of the mess he helped create, so he denied having any significant input into Murray and Bylsma. It was a lie. Maybe he was embarrassed. But he owns everything from that day forward. There's no deleting it from the media guide.

How do you know this? 

(Hint:  you don't.)

And where is the big surprise you promised us?

I still think it's fairly likely that as the season progresses there will be real reasons for hope, but there's also a real likelihood that we're looking at another bottom-3 finish.

What a freaking debacle.

Again, look at Toronto. 

Again: this is why you don't tank.

What a freaking debacle.

This is so far beyond the realm of the tank. This is about depth too. About scouting and drafting and development, something this team hasn't managed to do since the guys it drafted in like...2000. We've developed so little talent that we've been looking elsewhere for help for what feels like a decade.

Look at our depth right now. Who is ready? Who is coming? And when?

how about bringing back in guys who are proven and can play to help now? It never hurts leaving guys in the minors a little longer then needed

Yeah like ROR and Okposo amd Poulliot and Moulson. Proven. that .. we need more speed and hunger. Bring on the youth.

This is so far beyond the realm of the tank. This is about depth too. About scouting and drafting and development, something this team hasn't managed to do since the guys it drafted in like...2000. We've developed so little talent that we've been looking elsewhere for help for what feels like a decade.

Look at our depth right now. Who is ready? Who is coming? And when?

A-la we're Edmonton before McDavid

o said from the start that tanking was not the way to go, but everyone kept saying it had to be done to get his team over the hump and build a winner like Pittsburgh or Chicago. You can only get the best players by being the worst.

Toronto appears to be the exception of tanks, not the norm. 

The fact that Terry signed off on it in the first place might indicate how bad of an idea it was. 

I wish we hadn't done it.

It did it's sole purpose of acquiring elite talent. Everything else is not because of the tank

What a freaking debacle.

I remember a select few of us being anti-tank around here (you, D4rk, a few others). This site was petty grim back then.

Again, look at Toronto.

They tanked the right way. Brought in the right people from the top down first. Buffalo is trying to bring them in from the bottom up. They got Jack, but had no one in place upstairs to know wtf to do after that......and apparently still don't. Although I will still give them some time to right the ship, I will not give them my money while I'm waiting. Edited by Claude Balls

Yeah like ROR and Okposo amd Poulliot and Moulson. Proven. ###### that .. we need more speed and hunger. Bring on the youth.

this team doesn't need more unknowns with potential. They have plenty of that. They need guys who can come in and be upgrades now. No more picks and prospects. For every name you listed, you can prob a my name 2 young players/prospects that had potential and did nothing.

They tanked the right way. Brought in the right people from the top down first. Buffalo is trying to bring them in from the bottom up. They got Jack, but had no one in place upstairs to know wtf to do after that......and apparently still don't. Although I will still them some time, but not my money while I'm waiting for them to figure it out.

Tanked the right way? They got won their lottery and got the best coach in hockey

Toronto was in the wilderness for 11 freaking years AND they won the lottery AND it was in a year in which a great player was available AND they landed the best coach in the last generation.

That is not a #blueprint.

AND tanking gives you the best chance at winning the lottery AND McDavid was available AND landing the coach has nothing to do with tanking

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.