Housley with some really strong words postgame

matter2003

He said the level of preparation for this game was completely unacceptable, that the team wasnt ready to play, didnt put in enough work in the film room and said the message has been sent loud and clear to them.

He said being good takes a lot of hard work on and off the ice and said the players know what to expect now and if they choose not to do it there will be consequences.

I really like this by Housley. These players are simply lazy as hell away from the rink. Its one thing to work hard when everyone is watching at practice or the game its quite another to work hard when nobody is there...learning tendencies of their opponents, breaking down how to beat their systems, etc...

Its time for these guys to grow up and decide they want to maximize their potential or they need to get the hell out.

Edited by matter2003

I'll have to give his postgame a listen at some point today. If Housley is calling these guys out for this behavior, then it confirms for me what I suspected about the GMTM/Bylsma regime, which is that not only was Bylsma not in control of the team, but that GMTM had no idea what was going on until it was too late. 

Housley has been around a team that does game prep right. He must know what it looks like. I hope he can fix the bad habits that bloomed and festered under the last coach. 

He said the level of preparation for this game was completely unacceptable, that the team wasnt ready to play, didnt put in enough work in the film room and said the message has been sent loud and clear to them.

He said being good takes a lot of hard work on and off the ice and said the players know what to expect now and if they choose not to do it there will be consequences.

I really like this by Housley. These players are simply lazy as hell away from the rink. Its one thing to work hard when everyone is watching at practice or the game its quite another to work hard when nobody is there...learning tendencies of their opponents, breaking down how to beat their systems, etc...

Its time for these guys to grow up and decide they want to maximize their potential or they need to get the hell out.

Good. These guys have been coasting on low expectations for years. The tank years made it easy to just show up for the games as they were expected to lose, now even though they are more talented, they look like they are still just showing up and expecting the wins to magically come.

nope, 

I'm reminded of an old COD quote, "Amateurs practice until they can get it right, professionals practice until they can't get it wrong."

He mentions film study... may have taken them a while to figure out what the Knights were doing on forecheck and it seemed like in the later first and second there were a lot of turnovers exiting the zone.. guessing that is what Housley was referring to studying film on the off days.

Guess he has to teach these guys how to be professionals and it took them till third period to get it right...

Is it not up to the coaches to make sure that the players are ready to play, at least to some degree?

I think that PH is learning how to be an effective HC on the fly and this, also, will take some time.

I suspect that a lot more onus is put on the players now, especially thanks to how easy it is to do things like watch tape. These guys can be watching tape at home on their couch, or on the plane, or on the crapper. For every official conference room tape session these guys are probably expected to do their own homework too. 

It makes me wonder what the players were expected to do under Bylsma. 

I suspect that a lot more onus is put on the players now, especially thanks to how easy it is to do things like watch tape. These guys can be watching tape at home on their couch, or on the plane, or on the crapper. For every official conference room tape session these guys are probably expected to do their own homework too. 

It makes me wonder what the players were expected to do under Bylsma. 

I think Bylsma lectured them about what other teams did because he watched the taped. Remember that weird comment by Murray about how Bylsma needed to get out of the film room.  You would think that someone in the Sabres organization would grab a 30-60minutes package of the upcoming teams playing that highlighted the most important aspects to remember. Then the players could watch it as many times as they needed. 

I think having a positive outlook and focusing on the good, does not make you inherently soft.  

Hearing Phil say that preparation helps you win games and they don't do a good job though was a solid smack down on the players. He's right and now we all know about. 

Is it not up to the coaches to make sure that the players are ready to play, at least to some degree?

I think that PH is learning how to be an effective HC on the fly and this, also, will take some time.

The head coaches job is to make sure the players have the tools they need to succeed and then to put their resources together to make the team succeed.  The HC can ask a player to study video but he can't MAKE it happen.  He can enact consequences of being under prepared but he can't make the players do anything. 

I think Bylsma lectured them about what other teams did because he watched the taped. Remember that weird comment by Murray about how Bylsma needed to get out of the film room.  You would think that someone in the Sabres organization would grab a 30-60minutes package of the upcoming teams playing that highlighted the most important aspects to remember. Then the players could watch it as many times as they needed. 

I think the players have all the information they need.  Video coaches are breaking down the games in real-time.  They are offloading video into usable packages for players who can then watch the video on their mobile devices/tablets, etc.  I would find it hard to believe if the players don't have their video information within 60 minutes of the end of a game.  They will already have what the need for the upcoming opponent as well as break downs of specific targeted work areas from the game that just ended.

Bylsma's problem was that he watched too much video.  At some point you have to break it down into usable information that can be studied and processed during the real-time of a game.  If you have a breakdown of your opponents tendencies that goes 10 decision points down you will have far too much in your head to play effectively.  It has to be distilled into what can be processed quickly by the player on the ice.  I think that's where Bylsma overcoached the team.

I think Bylsma lectured them about what other teams did because he watched the taped. Remember that weird comment by Murray about how Bylsma needed to get out of the film room. You would think that someone in the Sabres organization would grab a 30-60minutes package of the upcoming teams playing that highlighted the most important aspects to remember. Then the players could watch it as many times as they needed.

This could be. Maybe he was trying to do the work for them? Like that teacher who thinks the way to get students to learn is by using every single second of a 3 hour lecture.

Was listening to some former USA soccer players talk about the breakdown of Team USA in not qualifying for the World Cup. And, their position was the fire and passion and desire and "want to" has to come from the players themselves, not the coach. The desire to give 100% isn't something a coach should have to, or really can, coax out of a team. I think that applies to hockey as well. You can't have a coach motivate guys for 82 games. You're either the sort of player who will play hard every shift (a guy like Adam Mair comes to mind) or not. No system can fix lack of effort.

On that note, I think lack of effort is coming from some of our most talented players (Risto, Samson, etc.). That's a big problem and one we've seen before in Buffalo (e.g., the team in Lindy Ruff's last year was full of drifty drifters... and was captained by Pommer).

Where is the Chris Drury type leader on this team that would demand players come prepared and those players would be so afraid to incur his wrath they wouldnt dare come to the rink unprepared?

O'Reilly is talked about as this great leader where is he when this is going on? Is he one of these players himself?? If he is preparing he should be all over these other guys who aren't and I am sure he knows who they are.

This comes from players holding themselves and each other accountable. Once enough players do this everyone else will fall in line. But it has to start somewhere and Jack has to be on board with it. If he falls in line everyone falls in line.

Edited by matter2003

Where is the Chris Drury type leader on this team that would demand players come prepared and those players would be so afraid to incur his wrath they wouldnt dare come to the rink unprepared?

O'Reilly is talked about as this great leader where is he when this is going on? Is he one of these players himself?? If he is preparing he should be all over these other guys who aren't and I am sure he knows who they are.

This comes from players holding themselves and each other accountable. Once enough players do this everyone else will fall in line.

Is he? 

I know people say he works hard practicing skills and beats himself up for playing bad, but is anyone claiming he's a great leader? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.