Housley with some really strong words postgame

matter2003

just gut, no real info, but I didnt like the way the locker room was split last year... and some of that had to fall on Gionta...

Seemed like he was Blysmals mole.

Okay.  Personally I think there were players who accepted that the coach/GM combo were going to be there through the season and decide to make the best of it and those who couldn't do it.  Personally if you know the coach isn't going anywhere in-season then you really should just suck it up and play.  

I don't think Gionta was a fan of Bylsma however.  Perhaps he accepted that they had to make the best of it under him and frankly that would be what I would expect from a leader. "Okay boys, it sucks, we know it sucks, but we can't let it bring us down."

If people didn't want to listen... oh well.

I just hope that Botterill didn't sign Gionta again because of the "moving on from that leadership group" reason and not the "my hockey team couldn't use him" reason, when looking at the lineups in practice today.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I just hope that Botterill didn't sign Gionta again because of the "moving on from that leadership group" reason and not the "my hockey team couldn't use him" reason, when looking at the lineups in practice today. 

Maybe it was about moving on from that leadership group, but then Moulson and Gorges are still around...

I don't think Gionta was any part of the problem last year. Seven games into this season without him, and these guys are still lazy and under performing. Gionta would be an instant upgrade over all but 6 forwards currently on the roster.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

If Housley wanted a "coach on the ice," surely it would have been Gionta, right?

Ummm no, this team quit a lot last year too. They do not have a clear cut leader but they need one. A Drury type. 

Sorry to disagree.  I think they already have that.  I think there are several.

They need a Schoeny or a Peca.  They need the guy that's going to scream at the rest of them in the dressing room.  

Maybe it was about moving on from that leadership group, but then Moulson and Gorges are still around...

I don't think Gionta was any part of the problem last year. Seven games into this season without him, and these guys are still lazy and under performing. Gionta would be an instant upgrade over all but 6 forwards currently on the roster.

If they were at the end of their contracts, they'd be gone too.  And really, Gorges seems to finally be doing what he should have been doing all along:  Playing limited minutes and teaching crafty veteran tricks to young Dmen.

Grades are the consequence, not letting the kid participate in things they are interested in are consequences... failing is a consequence and if that doesn't work, trade school, a good teacher finds that hot button thing that makes the kid tick.  Some kids are more stubborn than others.  And yes parents need to do the same thing at home and more... It is not a black and white kinda of thing, its a partnership.  I have a 13 year old boy who is going through puberty and fighting every chance he gets to do just what he wants not what he needs.  Sometimes its about coming down hard, sometimes its about just giving encouragement... lots of love and keeping him on his toes.  

I didn't know my head from my backside at that age... still don't but that is another argument. I have managed to figure it out and survive.  My kid is very intelligent so he can be manipulative and just gets down on himself when things don't come easy.  It is a challenge and we are working with his teachers constantly.  When he is engaged he is awesome... but sometimes he gets stuck and gets stubborn about it. A lot of time it is a simple thing that has him stuck, but he doesn't see that and has given up.  Once shown, he comes around.

His good teachers see that and work with him... Teachers make all the difference to helping  him overcome his teenage angst.  The one's he struggles with are the one's that I did.  They suck at communicating and don't get him.  The good ones stay in touch with us a let us know what is going on.  But the others we have to ride herd on them to keep them working with him.  I am trying to teach him to learn from all and all their styles and don't take the fact that they aren't good teachers doesn't mean he has to give up.  There other ways to figure out what he needs to learn and be successful and that is his responsibility.  Of course he alternates at that age between taking responsibility and wanting to just be a kid... that is part of the deal.

In hockey as anywhere else there are consequences.  I like that Housley was working with McCabe today... it shows to me he is engaged. McCabe getting less minutes and then working with him seems to be Housley's style... watch for a while, then I'll work with you and show you what you are missing and lets try this again.  

He is not giving up on anyone and it is a process.  He uses consequences, playing time, line switching, taking advantage of each player's skill set and then trying to get them all to improve on the skills that they are weak at.... You can see his process, he is transparent about that and a good teacher always is. 

I can't wait to see these guys put it all together... its coming, but it takes patience and constantly figuring out each players buttons.  Housley has just begun this process.  And he isn't backing down which is really encouraging.  

Edited by North Buffalo

Grades are the consequence, not letting the kid participate in things they are interested in are consequences... failing is a consequence and if that doesn't work, trade school, a good teacher finds that hot button thing that makes the kid tick.  Some kids are more stubborn than others.  And yes parents need to do the same thing at home and more... It is not a black and white kinda of thing, its a partnership.  I have a 13 year old boy who is going through puberty and fighting every chance he gets to do just what he wants not what he needs.  Sometimes its about coming down hard, sometimes its about just giving encouragement... lots of love and keeping him on his toes.  

I didn't know my head from my backside at that age... still don't but that is another argument. I have managed to figure it out and survive.  My kid is very intelligent so he can be manipulative and just gets down on himself when things don't come easy.  It is a challenge and we are working with his teachers constantly.  When he is engaged he is awesome... but sometimes he gets stuck and gets stubborn about it. A lot of time it is a simple thing that has him stuck, but he doesn't see that and has given up.  Once shown, he comes around.

His good teachers see that and work with him... Teachers make all the difference to helping  him overcome his teenage angst.  The one's he struggles with are the one's that I did.  They suck at communicating and don't get him.  The good ones stay in touch with us a let us know what is going on.  But the others we have to ride herd on them to keep them working with him.  I am trying to teach him to learn from all and all their styles and don't take the fact that they aren't good teachers doesn't mean he has to give up.  There other ways to figure out what he needs to learn and be successful and that is his responsibility.  Of course he alternates at that age between taking responsibility and wanting to just be a kid... that is part of the deal.

In hockey as anywhere else there are consequences.  I like that Housley was working with McCabe today... it shows to me he is engaged. McCabe getting less minutes and then working with him seems to be Housley's style... watch for a while, then I'll work with you and show you what you are missing and lets try this again.  

He is not giving up on anyone and it is a process.  He uses consequences, playing time, line switching, taking advantage of each player's skill set and then trying to get them all to improve on the skills that they are weak at.... You can see his process, he is transparent about that and a good teacher always is. 

I can't wait to see these guys put it all together... its coming, but it takes patience and constantly figuring out each players buttons.  Housley has just begun this process.  And he isn't backing down which is really encouraging.  

+ 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.