So what is Jbot’s plan for the Sabres?

GASabresIUFAN

Keep your pants on. They are not going to make a bunch of trades, at least not until the deadline. They are playing much better and are very close to getting wins.

At some point management has to send a message to these guys. Benching some of these guys won’t help. We have to help the culture change by sending someone of the island.

Major trades might help

Been following since 1970 and this franchise is a joke now.

Much respect to you. I have five fewer years in (sounds like we're in prison eh?). I just feel like the fans who have been around since the start deserve to have their opinions heard the most. It's almost like issues of war and peace. We have to listen to the veterans above all. They've been there.

I really feel a sense of sadness for what has happened to this franchise. It's hard to know where it all went wrong. Some might be surprised to hear me say it's not all Pegula. Clearly things had been declining before his arrival, but they've only gotten worse. Really, have things been the same since the Knoxes? I know there were good times under Rigas, but it was almost a carryover from what previous ownership and Muckler did. Losing Dom was the first death blow (oxymoron, I know).

The Knoxes always tried to field competitive, exciting, fun teams. They were almost always successful. I think that's what they were all about. They had to, to keep fannies in the seats. They weren't about cross-marketing some other business they had, "just breaking even" or fulfilling some juvenile fantasy of owning a sport team. They were civic-minded gentlemen above all.

Jack's time is now, not 3 years from now. Get him the help he needs, both defensively and offensively.

I'm going to get brutally honest. And it's going to create controversy on the board in sure, but here it is.

Larsson, Girgensons these 2 guys are bottom 6'ers, period. They're not game changers to be sure and if we run balanced scoring lines with the top 2 lines consistently driving play, these 2 belong no where near those lines.

Okposo just had a scare, its not his current play individually nor his contract length that concerns me, its his inability to find consistent chemistry of some type with any of our current centers. That's a problem considering 6 mil a season is tied up in his presence.

I've written off Kane. We've beat this horse to death, he's gone, now or at the deadline, I don't care, as long as the return addresses RD or a top 2 line LW. Even if that return addresses line 2 LW.

Reinhart, yes its only just over a couple of seasons. He was ok on Jack's RW, but to me, he is the perfect trade chip to land a big fish winger for Jack while his value still has weight as a center. There are teams looking for a center of his pedigree, and I don't ever see him unseating jack or ror as a top 2 center on this team.

Pominville, Moulson, these guys are on borrowed time. At least Pommers contributes, but I don't see Moulson doing anything. Move him in a cap dump deal if possible.

The defense, (facepalm)

Who's brilliant idea was 2.4 mil for 2 years for Beaulieu? That guy is a disaster. McCabe is on a serviceable contract, Antipin shows promise, Scandella is a great pickup. But Risto has regressed and some of his on ice decisions and play are frustrating.

Goaltending is a complete disaster. From the big club to the farm team, not one clutch netminder. "Houston, we have a problem".

Get Jack and ROR their LW'ers. We are RHS RW heavy in the organization. Guys like Middlestadt, Nylander and Guhle I don't expect to see up here for a couple of seasons yet.

We need help now. A couple of trades, it can't possibly hurt anymore than the painful crap we are seeing at this time.

The time for evaluating is over, Boterill, Housely and staff have had a training camp, pre-season and an over 10 game regular season sample for that. Its not working. Change of personell on ice in this case is not a change for change sake, its a change to attempt to find a winning formula of personnel.

It's time to make a couple of trades.

Much respect to you. I have five fewer years in (sounds like we're in prison eh?). I just feel like the fans who have been around since the start deserve to have their opinions heard the most. It's almost like issues of war and peace. We have to listen to the veterans above all. They've been there.

I really feel a sense of sadness for what has happened to this franchise. It's hard to know where it all went wrong. Some might be surprised to hear me say it's not all Pegula. Clearly things had been declining before his arrival, but they've only gotten worse. Really, have things been the same since the Knoxes? I know there were good times under Rigas, but it was almost a carryover from what previous ownership and Muckler did. Losing Dom was the first death blow (oxymoron, I know).

The Knoxes always tried to field competitive, exciting, fun teams. They were almost always successful. I think that's what they were all about. They had to, to keep fannies in the seats. They weren't about cross-marketing some other business they had, "just breaking even" or fulfilling some juvenile fantasy of owning a sport team. They were civic-minded gentlemen above all.

good post I had season in the golds at The Aud, there was excitement there and with the franchise. Something was lost big time when the Knox family was no longer owners. Edited by Jacque Richard

Cutting Moulson does nothing.

10 games is not enough time to see who fits and who doesn't. 20 games is the magic number.

This is a phallacy. They've had training camp, pre-season and over 10 regular season games to evaluate one ice personnel. That is adequate time to come to conclusions on strengths and weaknesses roster wise. 20 games is such an arbitrary number, why not 27 or 18?

The point is, ample sample size since day 1 reporting is now in place. You can bet the GM, the coach and staff aren't waiting for some magical 20 game number, especially given the season is already slipping away.

Because for the first 10 games and preseason everyone learns the system. You then take another 10 games to see who improves and who fails. I said end OV November back in August and still think that's when we'll be able to tell what this team is.

This is a phallacy. They've had training camp, pre-season and over 10 regular season games to evaluate one ice personnel. That is adequate time to come to conclusions on strengths and weaknesses roster wise. 20 games is such an arbitrary number, why not 27 or 18?

The point is, ample sample size since day 1 reporting is now in place. You can bet the GM, the coach and staff aren't waiting for some magical 20 game number, especially given the season is already slipping away.

Because 20 games is roughly month 1 and 2 of the season. Gives everyone a chance to learn the expectations. Further more early season trades are rare. Why, because hockey is a long grind. GMs are cautious especially in October of trades.

I've been around since 1967-8 and saw the Bisons win the AHL championship in their final year. I remember the euphoria in the city being the top dog in our hockey universe.

PA, I also feel that the fans who have been here since the beginning should have more respect or whatever it is you call it. I feel like I've been disrespected on numerous occasions by some s****y a***ed commentators who have a lot less hockey watching (and playing) experience. I don't care about these people and have since finally made the move to block them. But seeing opinions that you don't agree with shouldn't encourage a game of pile-on. 

Heres where I disagree a bit with you PA...The Buffalo Sabres have always been a loser organization.

I think they always will be too, when or if Pegula sells the team and that will be to another city.

We who have been here so long have to have rose colored glasses to candy coat the situattion... the fact is that even when they're winners, ultimately when the time comes to put up or shut up for the championship, they shut up.  2020 will be 50 years without a championship folks, the ultimate goal for any franchise in any sport. If you don't win in the end, you are nothing but a loser. There is no consolation prizes handed out like they give these entitled kids with their loser trophies in school.

If they had remained in the AHL, they would have been multiple cup winners by now but when they made the jump to the NHL and were handed the prize trophy, poor Gilbert Perreault -- who left his heart in Montreal,  they had to compete with the big boys...and when that happens and you're not equipped, you are bound to take hard falls. Poor fans!

Buffalo's biggest mistake from that time and now -- was not believing in hiring Buffalo guys to run the team and populate the team. They failed to hire their old homegrown coach Fred Shero, who in four years was to trounce them in the Stanley Cup finals. Meanwhile first coach Imlach was a heart attack victim by 72-73. The biggest mistakes have been not getting blood and guts players and coaches who would give their eyes, nose, teeth and heart for the city of Buffalo. Buffalo is a hockey rich city.

The fact that (I've mentioned this before) that the Sabres' greatest moment was an exhibition game (12-6 against the Red Army in 1976) tells me what I need to know about this so-called organization, for whom being good to very good has become a way of life in the best of times. It has become comfortable to be very good but not the best here. And losing? Comfortably numb.

From my persepective now the Sabres' dreadful decline under the Pegulas has tested my loyalty to the limit. But I am under no illusion that this is a winner organization. Otherwise we would have had a championship or two already.

For all the futility and banging our heads against the wall, it might be the ultimate irony that the Las Vegas Knights might be the first expansion team to win a championship.

Edited by Marvelo

I've been around since 1967-8 and saw the Bisons win the AHL championship in their final year. I remember the euphoria in the city being the top dog in our hockey universe.

PA, I also feel that the fans who have been here since the beginning should have more respect or whatever it is you call it. I feel like I've been disrespected on numerous occasions by some s****y a***ed commentators who have a lot less hockey watching (and playing) experience. I don't care about these people and have since finally made the move to block them. But seeing opinions that you don't agree with shouldn't encourage a game of pile-on. 

Heres where I disagree a bit with you PA...The Buffalo Sabres have always been a loser organization.

I think they always will be too, when or if Pegula sells the team and that will be to another city.

We who have been here so long have to have rose colored glasses to candy coat the situattion... the fact is that even when they're winners, ultimately when the time comes to put up or shut up for the championship, they shut up.  2020 will be 50 years without a championship folks, the ultimate goal for any franchise in any sport. If you don't win in the end, you are nothing but a loser. There is no consolation prizes handed out like they give these entitled kids with their loser trophies in school.

If they had remained in the AHL, they would have been multiple cup winners by now but when they made the jump to the NHL and were handed the prize trophy, poor Gilbert Perreault -- who left his heart in Montreal,  they had to compete with the big boys...and when that happens and you're not equipped, you are bound to take hard falls. Poor fans!

Buffalo's biggest mistake from that time and now -- was not believing in hiring Buffalo guys to run the team and populate the team. They failed to hire their old homegrown coach Fred Shero, who in four years was to trounce them in the Stanley Cup finals. Meanwhile first coach Imlach was a heart attack victim by 72-73. The biggest mistakes have been not getting blood and guts players and coaches who would give their eyes, nose, teeth and heart for the city of Buffalo. Buffalo is a hockey rich city.

The fact that (I've mentioned this before) that the Sabres' greatest moment was an exhibition game (12-6 against the Red Army in 1976) tells me what I need to know about this so-called organization, for whom being good to very good has become a way of life in the best of times. It has become comfortable to be very good but not the best here. And losing? Comfortably numb.

From my persepective now the Sabres' dreadful decline under the Pegulas has tested my loyalty to the limit. But I am under no illusion that this is a winner organization. Otherwise we would have had a championship or two already.

For all the futility and banging our heads against the wall, it might be the ultimate irony that the Las Vegas Knights might be the first expansion team to win a championship.

I was careful to say that the Knoxes always tried to field fun, exciting and competitive teams — always hired top notch hockey people from Punch to Scotty to Muckler — and were almost always successful at that. Not necessarily winning teams in a championship sense. Lots of regular season winning, that's for sure. (In fact the Sabres franchise currently sits eighth among all active franchises in all time points percentage; seventh if you throw out the young Golden Knights.)

But your point is valid. At every juncture when winning it all was at hand, every owner has failed to put the team over the top.

Because for the first 10 games and preseason everyone learns the system. You then take another 10 games to see who improves and who fails. I said end OV November back in August and still think that's when we'll be able to tell what this team is.

Because 20 games is roughly month 1 and 2 of the season. Gives everyone a chance to learn the expectations. Further more early season trades are rare. Why, because hockey is a long grind. GMs are cautious especially in October of trades.

You could be right, I just don't see them letting a quarter of the season go without addressing something. That something to me, in any event, is defense.

Cutting Moulson does nothing.

10 games is not enough time to see who fits and who doesn't. 20 games is the magic number.

Moulson and an asset to Vegas for Garrison.  It sheds the  term and you can move on with just one year of salary.  The ideal trade with Vegas would be to move Bogosian when healthy to them for Garrison.  It removes the extra term, and while you lose an asset you trim the fat.  

Edited by TheCerebral1

Hope the Qwks and the Liger’s aren’t marking their 40 years of fandom wallowing in self-pity and behaving like they are somehow owed something. I thought it was the Millenials who are supposed to be the fragile little snowflakes?

Projection. It's a thing. Take, for instance, the interesting example set by [REDACTED]

Just try to remember this is JBot's first year. This team as his team is only a few games in. In his eyes this is a baby and he isn't about to throw it out with the bath water. Hard to think this way after years of futility I know, but this is year one, give him time. My guess is a lot of bodies will be moved this year and maybe even more prior to the draft, but Moulson won't be one of them (not for trying).

Jbot is in eval mode and should stay there for a bit. Near the deadline he can switch back into fix it mode and start moving out who ever needs to go. Once next summer hits he can continue the process. Just keep in mind going into next season, there won't be 23 players learning a new system. 

Jbot is in eval mode and should stay there for a bit. Near the deadline he can switch back into fix it mode and start moving out who ever needs to go. Once next summer hits he can continue the process. Just keep in mind going into next season, there won't be 23 players learning a new system.

I don't think Bots is just going to sit around and wait until early March to address some of the roster issues if this continues.

He is more than aware I'm sure of the defense needs on this team. He's already started addressing that by getting Scandella in the off season. Somehow I think he's aware Bogosain isn't going to be the super hero when he does eventually return.

I don't think Bots is just going to sit around and wait until early March to address some of the roster issues if this continues.

He is more than aware I'm sure of the defense needs on this team. He's already started addressing that by getting Scandella in the off season. Somehow I think he's aware Bogosain isn't going to be the super hero when he does eventually return.

and again, teams rarely make early season trades. Duchene for example still hasn't moved. Botterill will have to wait because the market right now doesn't really exist. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.