Housley's System

LGR4GM

If he adjusts it we will still fail. It's not like he took a playoff team and ruined it. Ruff couldn't get them to play at the end, Nolan couldn't get much on a regular basis although before the fire sale AT TIMES they showed a little Nolan grit and heart (at times), Bylsma tried to patch the holes and hold it together waiting for reinforcements that never arrived, Housley has the right idea for the new nhl but not many players on this team that can play it. bring in any coach you want, this pile of trash that Murray built is useless. 

I don't think Housley needs to adjust. It's on the players. They came out looking fast against Montreal but the moment Montreal woke up they didn't know how to adapt to that and it's been a sh*t show since. I think Bylsma broke them with his system is everything mentality and his whiteboards and we lost two years of development for Jack and some of the other younger guys. This team can't flex to meet the ebb and flow of any given game, which transcends any coach's specific scheme. I hope Housley recognizes this. They've gotten a taste of the system and it can work, but they need to take a step back and figure out the other things they need to do in order for it to work well and consistently. 

I don't think Housley needs to adjust. It's on the players. They came out looking fast against Montreal but the moment Montreal woke up they didn't know how to adapt to that and it's been a sh*t show since. I think Bylsma broke them with his system is everything mentality and his whiteboards and we lost two years of development for Jack and some of the other younger guys. This team can't flex to meet the ebb and flow of any given game, which transcends any coach's specific scheme. I hope Housley recognizes this. They've gotten a taste of the system and it can work, but they need to take a step back and figure out the other things they need to do in order for it to work well and consistently. 

Fortunately the players no longer have the crutch of blaming the coach.

Housley's system can work. Not only did Nashville prove it, but we've seen it in intermittent spots over the past few weeks with this team.

What's needed now is not systems, it's accountability.

I hope Phil is right guy for the job.

Edited by dudacek

Housley's system can work. Not only did Nashville prove it, but we've seen it in intermittent spots over the past few weeks with this team.

Any system, DD's Housley's Babcocks, are personnel dependent.  We have major holes from guys with big contracts.  And Sam and Jack are still on ELCs.  Okposo is slow.  ROR is average speed and does better in a controlled game environment.  I think a more situation specific use of speed is in order.  Until some additional bodies arrive we don't have the horses to run and gun.

I went back and listened to Housley's post-game and I caught a few interesting things:

He basically said it doesn't matter what his game plan is if guys aren't going to work. That's important. 

He mentioned that forwards aren't giving the D enough support at times, they're cheating too high in the NZ and it's hurting their transition. Sounds like Bylsma hangover creeping in.

He's not worried about goaltending when we're hanging them out to dry. 

Any system, DD's Housley's Babcocks, are personnel dependent.  We have major holes from guys with big contracts.  And Sam and Jack are still on ELCs.  Okposo is slow.  ROR is average speed and does better in a controlled game environment.  I think a more situation specific use of speed is in order.  Until some additional bodies arrive we don't have the horses to run and gun.

Not with you on this one. O'Reilly can skate on the World Cup level. It's not Eichel's speed that is hurting him.

We haven't lost because of lack of speed, we've lost because we've turned the puck over in high-risk areas and lost too many battles.

The Sabres have confused Housley's attack mentality with one that doesn't require you to get dirty, or to defend. They aren't mutually exclusive.

Anyone else sick to death of the word system. This is not a system problem and wasn't one last year or the year before or the year before that. Please let's not mention system.

Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean it's not a thing. Some members here went to great lengths to illustrate the failings of Bylsma both as the Pens coach and as Sabres coach. "The system" is a thing and it does matter.

But you are correct that it goes deeper than system.

Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean it's not a thing. Some members here went to great lengths to illustrate the failings of Bylsma both as the Pens coach and as Sabres coach. "The system" is a thing and it does matter.

But you are correct that it goes deeper than system.

Thanks. Your last words is what I'm expressing. Also the much deeper problem. We seem to put hope, faith and trust in our next coach(system). I'm not sure what you mean by my not understanding but I'll let that one slide. Edited by Radar

Not with you on this one. O'Reilly can skate on the World Cup level. It's not Eichel's speed that is hurting him.

We haven't lost because of lack of speed, we've lost because we've turned the puck over in high-risk areas and lost too many battles.

The Sabres have confused Housley's attack mentality with one that doesn't require you to get dirty, or to defend. They aren't mutually exclusive.

This is a problem.  Oreilly skates at the world championships level.  You know when the good players are still in the SC playoffs.  And even then he is moved to wing.  The WCoH he made team Canada bc McJesus, Scheifle, McKinnon and Eberle had to play with team NA.  He doesn't sniff otherwise.  But we meep trying to beleive he is anything more than a talented winger with attention to detail.  He is a passenger.  Always was always will be.  He can be very effective with a good center.  But he is notba driver.  I know True and others will come back with their possesion stats and charts, but if he was elite Colorado would never have let him go.   He is a journeyman who we pay like a top 10 in the league player.  And Okposo is a boat anchor.  Nice guy gritty player but Moulson slow.

Definitely agree, not being comfortable in the "system" has led to way too many 2-1s against. On top of that you have the brutal turnovers in each and every game - 82 being the worst offender.

Still only 3 games in and way too early to draw any conclusions. As a point of reference the Leafs started 2-7 last year.

Wow,

abandon all hope ye who enter here!

Am I too late to jump off the band wagon?

Seriously though got to watch the a Montreal game on center ice and other then 3rd period and some bone head plays they didn't look terrible. Missed the last 2 and it sounds like the wheels have fallen off.

Without seeing the last 2 games can't add any analysis other than some conjecture.

Maybe some of the remaining players didn't like the player swap outs like foligno, gionta, franson, Kuli, coaches, etc.

Also maybe Jack rumored to have somehow had a hand in all the changes isn't as well liked by the all the guys as we all thought before and now after the he has been nighted the Franchise guy by the Organization.

God I hope I'm wrong and this is just a chemistry, experience and time to jell thing otherwise this will be a very depressing place.

Wow,

abandon all hope ye who enter here!

Am I too late to jump off the band wagon?

Seriously though got to watch the a Montreal game on center ice and other then 3rd period and some bone head plays they didn't look terrible. Missed the last 2 and it sounds like the wheels have fallen off.

Without seeing the last 2 games can't add any analysis other than some conjecture.

Maybe some of the remaining players didn't like the player swap outs like foligno, gionta, franson, Kuli, coaches, etc.

Also maybe Jack rumored to have somehow had a hand in all the changes isn't as well liked by the all the guys as we all thought before and now after the he has been nighted the Franchise guy by the Organization.

God I hope I'm wrong and this is just a chemistry, experience and time to jell thing otherwise this will be a very depressing place.

I mean, if you jump now you'll just hit the pile of those who jumped before you and will be fine. Might as well hang in there.

As a point of reference the Leafs started 2-7 last year.

4-5 OT loss

4-1 win

4-5 OT loss

2-3 loss

4-5 SO loss

3-7 loss

3-2 win

1-2 loss

1-5 loss

3-2 OT win

Toronto showed promise right out of the gate even if the points didn't come.  We need to step up to be as good as toronto's 2-7 start.

This is a problem.  Oreilly skates at the world championships level.  You know when the good players are still in the SC playoffs.  And even then he is moved to wing.  The WCoH he made team Canada bc McJesus, Scheifle, McKinnon and Eberle had to play with team NA.  He doesn't sniff otherwise.  But we meep trying to beleive he is anything more than a talented winger with attention to detail.  He is a passenger.  Always was always will be.  He can be very effective with a good center.  But he is notba driver.  I know True and others will come back with their possesion stats and charts, but if he was elite Colorado would never have let him go.   He is a journeyman who we pay like a top 10 in the league player.  And Okposo is a boat anchor.  Nice guy gritty player but Moulson slow.

This is a good point, as Colorado is currently known for its astute team building decisions.

And yea, O'Reilly is a journeyman! Are you actively attempting to destroy any credibility you have on the debate about how good he is?

Mentioned this in another thread but worth saying again. Anyone who watched the Leafs Hawks game tonight will quickly realize that makes us look like amateur hour. We are nowhere near either of those two teams. Not even close.

And this has what to do with Housley's system?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.