Training camp questions #15: what will be the Housley effect?

dudacek

In 40 years of fandom, I can't recall ever blaming the coach - generally, I think it's the easy route for fans looking for a scapegoat.

But I also can't recall ever questioning a coach as much as I did Bylsma.

I disagreed with his strategies, his player usage and his leadership style.

Now we have Phil.

I believe his addition is the single biggest, most impactful, change we made this summer.

He was a popular choice, but he also is a rookie.

Can he turn this ship around? How? Why?

Impossible to tell. I always thought our problem last year was more roster than coach, but either way, it appeared the DDB lost the room, so he had to go.

Don't know what Housley will bring, but you can't deny the D of Nashville. I guess we'll see this year how much of that was him. I hope it's a lot.

Edited by SwampD

Agree that we'll have no idea until we see the product (for 20-30 games). Every coach that has ever been hired talks a good game. Many don't back it up. 

With regards to Nashville's D, you can't deny how good they've been at drafting studs (It still blows my mind that Shea Weber, Ryan Suter, Roman Josi, Mattias Ekholm, Ryan Ellis, and Seth Jones all were developed by the same organization) but guys like Ekholm and Ellis were nowhere near this good until very recently, so there have been some good minds grooming them and he obviously was one of the people involved in that. 

I'm excited to see what he does with Risto. 

I think the Housley effect will be YUGE.  As long as there is a halfway decent system that isn't dump & chase, I think everyone that was on the team last year will buy in with great enthusiasm.  They're tired of sucking and ready to follow a good coach.  If Housley's system is any better at all, I think you'll see a motivated team jump all over it with vigor.

It may not be so much a Housley effect.  It may be more of a Not-DDB effect.

I predict the Sabres will be 6-4 or 7-3 after the first 10 games.  A few of those wins will be nail-biters that we'll say they were damn lucky to win, but winning when they thought they should lose will buoy their confidence and set the tone for the rest of the season. 

Edited by Doohickie

Further to the above:

The on-ice and off-ice areas are difficult to separate, but Jack's recent comments about a coach he can talk to about topics other than back pressure and positioning are particularly telling.

Players are people, not cogs in a machine and how you relate to them can make a world of difference.

I remember the comments from Subban and others in Nashville, It is managing people where I think Phil can make the biggest difference.

Edited by dudacek

I loved the hiring of Phil and think it was the best move. If they give him time, and get him the type of players he needs I think he will be hugely successful. I do, however, think there will be more growing pains than most people here and am not sure about how many of the guys on this roster will succeed in his system. I see us giving up a lot of odd man rushes this year and a lot of our success will be determined by how well the goaltending handles that.

About Bylsma, I didn't like his style either, but I get why he did it. This was a system he used to decent success when Crosby was out with a concussion. Lacking offense and speed on this team, he probably felt his best shot was the kind of D he attempted. I mean come on, with that pathetic D what else could he do but try to keep everybody back-checking all the time. The over use of Risto and ROR was ridiculous, but what choice did he really have?

I think most of us expect and will be giving the team a grace period to adjust to a new system.

It will be interesting to see how much of a choice Dan did have.

My hope is that Housley lets the reigns out a little bit to start. I want guys making some mistakes and pushing the limits of their individual games and of their chemistry with teammates. There will be growing pains here, but it will establish a foundation that coach can then tighten the reigns on a little later. I hope right now the team plays it cool and loose. 

I think most of us expect and will be giving the team a grace period to adjust to a new system.

It will be interesting to see how much of a choice Dan did have.

I'm not giving them a grace period. They need to sort through things in the preseason. Yes, this probably isn't realistic, but this is the result of the step back they took last season. If playoffs are the goal, they can't afford a really slow start. We've all seen the math on how hard it is to make the playoffs if you set yourself up behind the 8-ball.

Their grace period was after the tank, they don't get a second one. They made the choice to switch GM and coach with full knowledge that it's a playoffs or bust season.

My hope is that Housley lets the reigns out a little bit to start. I want guys making some mistakes and pushing the limits of their individual games and of their chemistry with teammates. There will be growing pains here, but it will establish a foundation that coach can then tighten the reigns on a little later. I hope right now the team plays it cool and loose. 

I agree wholeheartedly.  I think that should have happened last year but Jack's injury made DD panic.  

followed immediately by Kane's injury.

Was very impressed that he didn't do the Ron Rolston garden gloves thing at practice. That alone has to be good for 3 more wins than Bylsma's "duh, what just happened" thing. (No, cherishered reader, your humble narrator has no idea what that was supposed to mean either. But it ALMOST sounded good reasonable (?). Maybe?)

Was very impressed that he didn't do the Ron Rolston garden gloves thing at practice. That alone has to be good for 3 more wins than Bylsma's "duh, what just happened" thing. (No, cherishered reader, your humble narrator has no idea what that was supposed to mean either. But it ALMOST sounded good reasonable (?). Maybe?)

Rolston's wierd gloves always set me off...

I'm not giving them a grace period. They need to sort through things in the preseason. Yes, this probably isn't realistic, but this is the result of the step back they took last season. If playoffs are the goal, they can't afford a really slow start. We've all seen the math on how hard it is to make the playoffs if you set yourself up behind the 8-ball.

Their grace period was after the tank, they don't get a second one. They made the choice to switch GM and coach with full knowledge that it's a playoffs or bust season.

I saw someone say that in one of the interviews..... Pominville maybe?  I like to think part of his contribution (and I think I've said it before) is that he will bring a sense of urgency to the team early in the season. 

I forgot about the garden gloves :lol:

Yeh he did, there was audio of him saying something to the effect that "yeh, I detest that guy..."  Not sure when, but he and Housley said it was all water under the bridge.. I think Ray was referring to playing with Housley as a Rookie.

https://www.facebook.com/TBNSports/posts/1381224118633431, found it listed in the Buffalo News

Edited by North Buffalo

Yeh he did, there was audio of him saying something to the effect that "yeh, I detest that guy..."  Not sure when, but he and Housley said it was all water under the bridge.. I think Ray was referring to playing with Housley as a Rookie.

https://www.facebook.com/TBNSports/posts/1381224118633431, found it listed in the Buffalo News

Well, in fairness, Ray has a right to be ticked. Phil set up Richer AT LEAST 20 more times than he ever thought about passing to Robbie.

Well, in fairness, Ray has a right to be ticked. Phil set up Richer AT LEAST 20 more times than he ever thought about passing to Robbie.

Housley had a rep of being aloof in his playing days so yes probably didn't treat rookies that well. Changes when you start coaching is my guess.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.