Training camp questions #15: what will be the Housley effect?

dudacek

I'm not giving them a grace period. They need to sort through things in the preseason. Yes, this probably isn't realistic, but this is the result of the step back they took last season. If playoffs are the goal, they can't afford a really slow start. We've all seen the math on how hard it is to make the playoffs if you set yourself up behind the 8-ball.

Their grace period was after the tank, they don't get a second one. They made the choice to switch GM and coach with full knowledge that it's a playoffs or bust season.

This. Well said.

I'm not giving them a grace period. They need to sort through things in the preseason. Yes, this probably isn't realistic, but this is the result of the step back they took last season. If playoffs are the goal, they can't afford a really slow start. We've all seen the math on how hard it is to make the playoffs if you set yourself up behind the 8-ball.

Their grace period was after the tank, they don't get a second one. They made the choice to switch GM and coach with full knowledge that it's a playoffs or bust season.

The players didn't make a choice to replace the gm and coach. If your comment is aimed at ownership, fine, but the players aren't responsible for a change in personnel and system. I am tempering my expectations. I agree that if they are not in a playoff spot by thanksgiving they are screwed.

I attribute 3 wins+\- to coaching. Players execute and can overcome poor coaching. It is their job as professionals to do so.

I think I posted earlier that I'm hoping we get five points from Housley, five from an improved roster, five from the growth of the kids and five from breaks (injuries, bounces, penalties etc.)

That would've been a completely unnecessary and dickish move that would've hurt the Sabres' future ability to attract veteran FAs.

Not at all. By waiving him and sending him down asap gives him the best opportunity to hook up with another team, rather then leaving him as the 8th D and letting him rot in the pressbox.

Not at all. By waiving him and sending him down asap gives him the best opportunity to hook up with another team, rather then leaving him as the 8th D and letting him rot in the pressbox.

No one is going to claim him. Everyone knows this, and sending him down without even giving him a chance in camp would be a major slap in the face and a public humiliation.

No it isn't. Why would we want his cap 4 2 years instead of 1. Jack gets paid next year, rather clear 100% of gorges

What I'm saying is, if we don't want him to play, that is our only option. It is our responsibility to deal with the (unfortunate) situation honorably, as opposed to shaming a veteran who did nothing wrong.

What I'm saying is, if we don't want him to play, that is our only option. It is our responsibility to deal with the (unfortunate) situation honorably, as opposed to shaming a veteran who did nothing wrong.

We aren't shaming him by making him the 7th defender. We're literally just saying we have 6 better guys.

It's a bigger shame you buyout a player. That's literally saying we'd rather pay you not to be here.

Anyone else worried we don't have the goaltender for this system? I like (don't love) Lehner. With our aggressive style it will inevitably lead to many odd man rushes per game which Lehner is notoriously poor in. I love this style and I know I will be more entertained this year but I wonder if we will be losing several 6-4 games, atleast early on. I think the big Johnston may be starting by December.

Just something running through my mind 4 glasses of wine in on a September night....

Edited by Derrico

If Gorges is our seventh best D or better, he stays and plays.

If he's not - and I believe he's not - you see what the interest is around the league and send him to the interested team of his choice.

If nobody's interested, than no one can blame the Sabres for sending him down.

Anyone else worried we don't have the goaltender for this system? I like (don't love) Lehner. With our aggressive style it will inevitably lead to many odd man rushes per game which Lehner is notoriously poor in. I love this style and I know I will be more entertained this year but I wonder if we will be losing several 6-4 games, atleast early on. I think the big Johnston may be starting by December.

Just something running through my mind 4 glasses of wine in on a September night....

I don't remember Lehner being bad on odd man rushes, just breakaways.

But I'll take 6-4 losses over the soul sucking 2-1 yawners last fall any day.

Lehner will be one the seasons most interesting stories.

I don't remember Lehner being bad on odd man rushes, just breakaways.

But I'll take 6-4 losses over the soul sucking 2-1 yawners last fall any day.

Lehner will be one the seasons most interesting stories.

I don't even remember him being bad on breakaways (average), I can think of a save for every breakaway goal that he allowed.

I just remember him being bad in shootouts.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.