2018 NHL draft

Crusader1969

Zadina for those who haven't watched Halifax (I haven't either), he is a 6'1" LHS who plays RW with speed and great hands. He is currently running at a 12g, 12a, in 16 games in the Q. That translates to 93 points in 62 games. 

Edited by LGR4GM

He's #19 for those curious.

I currently feel that Zadina is a better skater and finisher then Tkachuk. 

Absolutely correct - Tkachuk is your Power Forward, using braun to create space, huge net front  presence and a thorn to play against.

Zadina is basically Hischier 2.0. 

What would you take if both available? tough call since the Sabres really don't have anyone like Tkachuk, Id probably lean slightly his direction.

Absolutely correct - Tkachuk is your Power Forward, using braun to create space, huge net front  presence and a thorn to play against.

Zadina is basically Hischier 2.0. 

What would you take if both available? tough call since the Sabres really don't have anyone like Tkachuk, Id probably lean slightly his direction.

The real question that I have here with Tkachuk is if he skates better than his older brother.  Or is it the same power stride sluggish skating, which is average at best.

Here is the initial draft list from McKeen's hockey

https://www.mckeenshockey.com/nhl-blog/mckeens-2018-nhl-preliminary-draft-rankings/

Pretty typical of most lists out at this time, Dahlin #1, Svechnikov #2 and basically the same players filling out picks 3 -12 just different order.

First viewing of Quinn Hughes was night on the Big 10 network, really smooth skater. Definitely a nice consolation prize for a team that misses out on Dahlin. He  is an October 1999 bday and is already playing on the top D-pair at Michigan. Potentially ready to make the leap to NHL next season? 

25% chance of a lottery pick for the Sabres as it stands today. 8.6% for the right to draft Dahlin.  100% chance they would draft in the top 8.

Edited by Crusader1969

Brady Tkatchuk is an excellent prospect and plays a physical 2 way game. He has excellent top speed, but needs work on his first step. I think he’ll be a good as his brother.

We have drafted a lot of brothers over the years. Primeau, Nylander, Seiling, Sauve, Patrick, Biron, Playfair, Hamel, Moller, McKegney,Foligno, Gretzky, Turgeon, Miller, and Reinhart. I think we drafted the better McKegney, Playfair, Turgeon, Biron, Miller, Sauve and Reinhart. We have also signed or traded for brothers like Moller, Drury, Pyatt, Niedermayer, JF Sauve, Stanfield, McGinn, James Patrick, both O’Reillys, Nolan, both Shannons and Dave Dryden.

Brady Tkatchuk is an excellent prospect and plays a physical 2 way game. He has excellent top speed, but needs work on his first step. I think he’ll be a good as his brother.

We have drafted a lot of brothers over the years. Primeau, Nylander, Seiling, Sauve, Patrick, Biron, Playfair, Hamel, Moller, McKegney,Foligno, Gretzky, Turgeon, Miller, and Reinhart. I think we drafted the better McKegney, Playfair, Turgeon, Biron, Miller, Sauve and Reinhart. We have also signed or traded for brothers like Moller, Drury, Pyatt, Niedermayer, JF Sauve, Stanfield, McGinn, James Patrick, both O’Reillys, Nolan, both Shannons and Dave Dryden.

I remember when no one around here wanted Matthew Tkachuk in his draft year, it was odd. Something about him having a bunch of secondary assists that season. We'd be lucky to get his brother.

I remember when no one around here wanted Matthew Tkachuk in his draft year, it was odd. Something about him having a bunch of secondary assists that season. We'd be lucky to get his brother.

Really? That surprises me. I wanted him desperately. I thought he’d be perfect on Jack’s wing and would be the perfect replacement for Kane. However, I never thought he’d fall to us. With the 8th pick, I thought Sergachev was the best option.

Really? That surprises me. I wanted him desperately. I thought he’d be perfect on Jack’s wing and would be the perfect replacement for Kane. However, I never thought he’d fall to us. With the 8th pick, I thought Sergachev was the best option.

Right, he didn't fall to us. And I agree, Sergachev should have been the pick. Still hope Nylander makes it.

Thanks for the reminder that we coulda /shoulda drafted Sergachev. Speaking of Nylander (whom I also have high hopes for), he is back skating in Rochester. Hopefully we see him in game action sooner than later.

Back to the 2018 draft - Adam Boqvist nets 2 today for Brynas J20. That's 5 goals 6 assists in 12 SuperElite games this year.

Here is the initial draft list from McKeen's hockey

https://www.mckeenshockey.com/nhl-blog/mckeens-2018-nhl-preliminary-draft-rankings/

Pretty typical of most lists out at this time, Dahlin #1, Svechnikov #2 and basically the same players filling out picks 3 -12 just different order.

First viewing of Quinn Hughes was night on the Big 10 network, really smooth skater. Definitely a nice consolation prize for a team that misses out on Dahlin. He is an October 1999 bday and is already playing on the top D-pair at Michigan. Potentially ready to make the leap to NHL next season?

25% chance of a lottery pick for the Sabres as it stands today. 8.6% for the right to draft Dahlin. 100% chance they would draft in the top 8.

Nice article in the Athletic by Craig Custance regarding Hughes.

Michigan defenseman Quinn Hughes vaulting up draft lists with strong start

https://theathletic.com/151228/2017/11/09/michigan-defenseman-quinn-hughes-vaulting-up-draft-lists-with-strong-start/

Interestingly he lived with the Thachuks for two years while he was in the NTDP.

Plus there is Botterill's Connection to Michigan.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.