Will Butcher To Hit Free Agency

bob_sauve28

Anybody consider that Butcher is a lefty...we have a ton of lefties. Risto and Bogo are really our only righties (NHL ready anyway). It would be great to get him, but we'd have to get of a few lefties.

Considering that we just went through two seasons of complaining about the dearth of LHD, I don't think a surplus in the system is a problem, especially where Butcher is willing to start in Rochester.

Considering that we just went through two seasons of complaining about the dearth of LHD, I don't think a surplus in the system is a problem, especially where Butcher is willing to start in Rochester.

I'd rather have more options than less. You can always play on the offside or trade a guy later. 

One of the things that sold me on Jbots was the wizardry from Pittsburgh in assembling their D from low picks and scraps from other teams.

Remember the last time we gave a guy all the credit for all of his team's moves even though he wasn't the guy in charge?  It's funny how these things have a way of repeating themselves.

Anyone else we should be aware of today?

This list is old but some other names. https://www.nhl.com/news/best-college-nhl-free-agents/c-287429252

Brickley is going back to college and not sure about any of the others. 

I think a bunch of the guys in that article are signed already. Couldn't find a list of draft NCAA guys becoming UFA today. 

I'd rather have more options than less. You can always play on the offside or trade a guy later. 

Maybe that's a difference between XGMTM and JBot:  Murray looked to deterministically fill positions- We need 7 D for the big club, 7 D for the Amerks, so hire 7 NHL level Dmen and 7 AHL level Dmen.  And you're settled.  The problem that causes though is injuries at the NHL level means that AHL level players are called on to fill NHL spots (Falk and Fedun were on the bubble, so they did okay).  JBot is thinking of filling 7 NHL slots and 7 AHL slots so he's usinig a probablistic model in bringing in 20 NHLers (or close to NHLers) and letting them fight it out.  So a failure of a few of those guys doesn't hurt his overall plan.  And that's how you find these diamonds in the rough.

Maybe that's a difference between XGMTM and JBot:  Murray looked to deterministically fill positions- We need 7 D for the big club, 7 D for the Amerks, so hire 7 NHL level Dmen and 7 AHL level Dmen.  And you're settled.  The problem that causes though is injuries at the NHL level means that AHL level players are called on to fill NHL spots (Falk and Fedun were on the bubble, so they did okay).  JBot is thinking of filling 7 NHL slots and 7 AHL slots so he's usinig a probablistic model in bringing in 20 NHLers (or close to NHLers) and letting them fight it out.  So a failure of a few of those guys doesn't hurt his overall plan.  And that's how you find these diamonds in the rough.

There's also an ECHL roster to consider. Sure, you're not aiming for anyone to be there, but if you like a prospect and they're not quite ready for the AHL primetime --- they can head off to Cincinnati and log big minutes and all situations until an injury or trade opens up a spot. Roll 20 D, or roll a D20 your choice, and see how it shakes out. The only drawback is we can only sign, what, 50 total contracts? And not break the cap.

Yes, I realize there's ECHL too.  Didn't want to make my post too long... the idea's the same.

Butcher probably doesn't become an NHL regular.  Lots of the other Dmen JBot is grabbing don't either.  But out of the group, probably one does.  That's the point:  improve your odds of finding a diamond in the rough by grabbing a bunch of guys that have the potential of making the jump.  Most won't, but you only need one or two surprises to really bolster your NHL depth.  It's a crap shoot, but the more lottery tickets you buy, the better your odds of winning.

Yes, I realize there's ECHL too.  Didn't want to make my post too long... the idea's the same.

Butcher probably doesn't become an NHL regular.  Lots of the other Dmen JBot is grabbing don't either.  But out of the group, probably one does.  That's the point:  improve your odds of finding a diamond in the rough by grabbing a bunch of guys that have the potential of making the jump.  Most won't, but you only need one or two surprises to really bolster your NHL depth.  It's a crap shoot, but the more lottery tickets you buy, the better your odds of winning.

But you only have so many contracts you can hand out... need to be selective in who you invest in.   I think there's better prospects to spend a contract on than Butcher.

But you only have so many contracts you can hand out... need to be selective in who you invest in.   I think there's better prospects to spend a contract on than Butcher.

Does the 50, some odd, contract limit apply to the whole organisation, including AHL and ECHL?  I think AHL, but not ECHL, but am not sure.

Does the 50, some odd, contract limit apply to the whole organisation, including AHL and ECHL?  I think AHL, but not ECHL, but am not sure.

Whole organization.

IHDGAF about Butcher.    

He would probably help the depth in Rochester, but I don't project him to the NHL, not even as a depth guy.

There's no way to reach a conclusion on him either way right now.

Do we know what the count is at currently?

They have to be signed to an NHL contract.  We'll have guys at those level who only have an AHL or ECHL contract.  Those do not count.  It also does not count someone who is signed but is playing in juniors.

Do we know what the count is at currently?

They have to be signed to an NHL contract.  We'll have guys at those level who only have an AHL or ECHL contract.  Those do not count.  It also does not count someone who is signed but is playing in juniors.

They are at 43/50 per Cap Friendly.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/sabres

You can't staff players for 3 teams with only 50 contracts.

Players signed to strictly AHL Deals or ECHL Deals do not count towards the 50 I believe.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.