Summer Thread -- Good Hockey Writing

nfreeman

I'd like to know the extent of these "dumb offensive zone penalties." My gut tells me it's overblown. He had 38 PIMs the entire season/playoffs last year, and 12 of them were in the first 3 games.

It's like the concept of Kassian. Ppl hear a narrative and they run with it.

This has to be one of the most Canadian paragraphs in print:

"My locker was next to Marian Hossa’s when I came into the league. He actually recognized me from like seven years before — when he was still playing for the Ottawa Senators and I was just a lowly equipment boy, doing laundry and filling water bottles in exchange for high school credits."

I didn't read the article but based on the quote you've highlighted I'd have to think it was his community service credits which most highschools recognize in Canada. Its generally grades 11 & 12 where you can get credit for charity work or volunteering. I suppose its to encourage those pursuits. 

Video in there has us again not making the playoffs. I've read so many season previews, and they all say the same. It's becoming depressing

You're young yet, the emotional callouses will form for you in a few years.

Also, if it makes you feel any better, I distinctly recall Pierre McGuire arguing that the Sabres could be a dark horse playoff contender on the eve of the tank season. Sometimes, it's all just poo being tossed at walls.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't read the article but based on the quote you've highlighted I'd have to think it was his community service credits which most highschools recognize in Canada. Its generally grades 11 & 12 where you can get credit for charity work or volunteering. I suppose its to encourage those pursuits. 

I'm sure that's right, but I prefer to think there's an Independent Study course in Canadian High Schools called, "Hang around a hockey rink."

I'm sure that's right, but I prefer to think there's an Independent Study course in Canadian High Schools called, "Hang around a hockey rink."

Yeah we had a course in grade 12 called CR or community recreation where we went curling,bowling, swimming , ice hockey etc. The one high school course I excelled at. :P

Another book to consider is The Ballad of the Whisky Robber.

It is the true story of Atilla Ambrus, a backup goalie turned bank robber in post-soviet Hungary.  It's an interesting and often hilarious read.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/28805.Ballad_of_the_Whiskey_Robber

This book is excellent.

Here's the latest from TSN.ca:

HOW WILL THE SOLAR ECLIPSE AFFECT THE LEAFS’ DEFENSE?

We here at TSN have an undying passion to report on what we, as Torontonians, feel is important to the nation that as a whole barely tolerates us.  So in light of today’s solar eclipse, with our fingers planted vaguely in the neighbourhood of the pulse of some people who can actually read a full TSN article without projectilely vomiting a la Linda Blair in her pea soup grandeur, we give you the ruminations of the defensive corps of what may very possibly be one of the best hockey teams in Toronto this year.

TSN: So tell us, what did you think of the eclipse, and how it will affect you and your peers on defense?

Connor Carrick:  I ###### love eclipses, especially the chocolate ones!

Jake Gardiner:  No, you moron, you love eclaires, not eclipses.  You hate eclipses.  You’re afraid of the dark. 

Morgan Rielly:  I don’t know anything about any eclipses today.

TSN:  It started early this afternoon.

Morgan Rielly:  Funny.  I thought it got late kind of early today.  Coach says when it gets dark, it’s best to just go home and stay out of trouble.  Now that it’s light again, does that mean it’s actually tomorrow already?  And time for doughnuts?!?!

Eric Fehr: What are you asking me for!?!?  I’m a center dammit!  What, just because I only got 11 points last year you assume I’m a D-man?  ###### you TSN!!!

Martin Marincin:  I didn’t know there was an eclipse.  I’ve been in my basement, on the phone, with my agent, since May.

Ron Hainsey:  Why are you picking on me?  Just because the only country that this eclipse crossed is the US, and I’m from the US, and the US just recently elected…never mind.

Nikita Zaitsev:  I think maybe I make mistake coming to Leafs…BIG mistake…
Edited by BagBoy

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.