Most improved team thus far?

Sabre fan

25 members have voted

1. 1. Have the Sabres improved and how much? Or are we destined to fail (again)

• Yep...we have improved in every area from top to bottom and will see immediate return
    • Come see come saw...kinda somewhere in the middle...a little but still need some work done
    • Somewhat better but still need a ton of work to make the playoffs
    • Not much at all...just mostly change that will not really help all that much...another disapponting season coming up

Interesting article by Sportsnet that claims that four teams have improved themselves significantly this off-season. They are Calgary, Carolina, Arizona and Dallas Stars. I like to think that the Sabres have improved themselves immensely, both on and off the ice. New coaching and management seem to be already making big improvements over last  season, and on the ice, our defense makeover would appear to be light-years ahead of last years gang. bringing in Pommers, along with the younger guys getting more experience that should help them excel this coming season should help immensely too.

Just wondering if anybody agrees or thinks that the Sabres have made significant improvements or are we headed for another season of disappointment?

Here is link to article too..

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/four-improved-nhl-teams-far-summer/

It's impossible to know until we actually see the type of hockey this team is playing, and the growth/development of the young guys. Dan sounded really good that first summer too, we were hanging onto his every word. Same with Ted Nolan. 

If we play possession hockey (I keep hearing up tempo and activation, but not support and only sometimes possession) then I think the improvement will be bigger than just the guys we added versus the guys we subtracted, and it will thus be bigger than what the general NHL media/fans who don't watch every Sabres game expect, as those people for the most part aren't even aware that the on ice system was a problem here.

It's impossible to know until we actually see the type of hockey this team is playing, and the growth/development of the young guys. Dan sounded really good that first summer too, we were hanging onto his every word. Same with Ted Nolan. 

If we play possession hockey (I keep hearing up tempo and activation, but not support and only sometimes possession) then I think the improvement will be bigger than just the guys we added versus the guys we subtracted, and it will thus be bigger than what the general NHL media/fans who don't watch every Sabres game expect, as those people for the most part aren't even aware that the on ice system was a problem here.

Yup. There's a chance that with this coach they not only make the playoffs but win a round, the freaking Senators made the ECF last year and they were on the "worst team" lists before the season. Its equally possible that the players are actually not good enough and we need a lot of work. Call me in December.

I would say that we still need a ton of work.  Arizona, meh.  Tell me about them in 5 months when they start out 0-5.  Hjalmarsson looks to have taken a step back, he's been beaten down heavily each of the past six seasons.  I would agree with Dallas for sure.  Calgary...added what a meh goalie.  They're still the same team.  Carolina got better, but there are still question marks.  We'll see.  I would still put us in the 3-6 area of teams that most improved.  Yes our defense improved, but we still need to fix the a few other areas.

100%

As far as the question goes, it's difficult to name most improved; partly because of what Flagg says, and because teams that were bad had injuries or were simply not yet mature enough. Carolina will be a great team this year, but that's not just because of Williams and Darling; they were good last year too.

Calgary was already good, and now think Mike Smith is their savior, not sure I buy that

Arizona will improve but mostly because they had nowhere to go. Hjal helps a ton, but their goaltending, coaching, and leadership got a lot worse. Unless Domi, Duclair, and Strome have big years, they're not doing anything

Dallas would be my bet. I mistakenly threw Nill under the bus the other day, but he's had a good offseason. I don't like Radulov or Bishop for their contracts, but he should help them this year. That and the addition of Hitchcock will have the Stars much improved

I'm amazed Tampa isn't on this list honestly 

Still in show me mode until some of the recent draft picks... Ghule, Nylander, Glotov, Middlestadt, Fitz, Borgen, and others take the next step. If Sabres again draft well next year, the next few years should be fun to watch but I'm still in show me mode.

Overall we made huge leaps this off season. New GM and coach alone was huge. Plus improved blue line and Pommers back for some nostalgia (not why he was brought in I know but that's what it is for me) and yeah I'm psyched.

Imagine if DB was still here? *shutters*

I just hope that the dark cloud of negativity/ laziness/ mistakes/ injuries etc has been lifted when Housley was hired. I think the coaching change is going to be night and day for us ☺

Overall we made huge leaps this off season. New GM and coach alone was huge. Plus improved blue line and Pommers back for some nostalgia (not why he was brought in I know but that's what it is for me) and yeah I'm psyched.

Imagine if DB was still here? *shutters*

I just hope that the dark cloud of negativity/ laziness/ mistakes/ injuries etc has been lifted when Housley was hired. I think the coaching change is going to be night and day for us ☺

The more I think about it, I'm not sure "huge leap" is correct. Pominville replaces Gionta, which is an upgrade but not huge. The new D could be promising, but the loss of Foligno and Ennis means Pouliot and one or two of the Rochester-3 will have to take a step otherwise they could be in the same place for goals, which isn't good. strange as it is to say, the season may hang on depth wingers becoming NHLers and if the new system can really boost everyone's stats.

Edited by MattPie

The more I think about it, I'm not sure "huge leap" is correct. Pominville replaces Gionta, which is an upgrade but not huge. The new D could be promising, but the loss of Foligno and Ennis means Pouliot and one or two of the Rochester-3 will have to take a step otherwise they could be in the same place for goals, which isn't good. strange as it is to say, the season may hang on depth wingers becoming NHLers and if the new system can really boost everyone's stats.

ROR.jpg

O'Reilly^^

image.jpg

Okposo^^

If we can get these guys up to where they are in competent systems at ES, and continue grooming Jack & Sam, we'll see a decent level of improvement.

I think people are over looking the Devils as an improved team. Trading for Johansson and drafting Hirschier will improve any team, especially when you add these guys to Henrique, Hall, Palmieri, and Zajac. Their offense should be much improved.

As to the Sabres

Pommers > Gionta

Scandella >> Kulikov

Beaulieu >> Franson

Pouliot > Ennis? Likely

Bailey/Baptiste/Fasching = Carrier

Foligno >> Josefson

These changes should make us better, but we are going to have to have someone step into the phyiscal game lost from Foligno. Ultimately, the improvement may not be enough to make us a playoff team without major improvemenr from Risto (onD), and Eichel and Sam on offense. Staying healthy for a change would be nice.

I am, he can skate and was better than Franson last year.

Wasnt he healthy scratched a few times while Franson was our best possession defenseman getting pretty difficult minutes?

I'd take Nathan for a skating-D system over Cody, but Cody played well and I'm not under the impression that Nathan did in Montreal last year.

Wasnt he healthy scratched a few times while Franson was our best possession defenseman getting pretty difficult minutes?

I'd take Nathan for a skating-D system over Cody, but Cody played well and I'm not under the impression that Nathan did in Montreal last year.

Franson was playing hard minutes?

Franson was playing hard minutes?

They weren't sheltered very much. He probably got a "third pair" role technically speaking but filled into the top 4 for many games because of injuries to Bogosian and Kulikov, and was by far the best possession defenseman, because of his ability to actually do the thing our system needed, pass accurately over long distances. 

I don't think he'd be as good a fit this year like I said, but with him we lost the third best performing D last year IMO, and Beaulieu may very well not be in our best four performing defensemen next year. Still worth the 3rd and trying him out, of course.

They weren't sheltered very much. He probably got a "third pair" role technically speaking but filled into the top 4 for many games because of injuries to Bogosian and Kulikov, and was by far the best possession defenseman, because of his ability to actually do the thing our system needed, pass accurately over long distances.

I don't think he'd be as good a fit this year like I said, but with him we lost the third best performing D last year IMO, and Beaulieu may very well not be in our best four performing defensemen next year. Still worth the 3rd and trying him out, of course.

You're conflating two things. Franson being our 3rd best defender last year and then Baloo being our say 5th best defender now doesn't mean Baloo is worse than Franson. I guess I think Baloo will be a better defender this year than Franson was last year.

You're conflating two things. Franson being our 3rd best defender last year and then Baloo being our say 5th best defender now doesn't mean Baloo is worse than Franson. I guess I think Baloo will be a better defender this year than Franson was last year.

Well I might have accidentally come off that way but I do still believe my original point that it certainly might not play out that way, considering Beaulieu was a regular healthy scratch and after reading what some Habs fans had to say about his play. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.