Jack Eichel: Predict His Upcoming Season

LGR4GM

In an 82 game season?

Yes, I'll explain in more detail later. Stay tuned.

I think he'll miss about a dozen games, and Housely's system isn't kind to forward production.   Jack won't be asked to carry the puck as much due to defensemen rushing the puck and joining the offense.   Why will that cause a drop in his production?   Hear me out.   Most of Eichel's goals come from the outside, shots from high in the slot, above the circles, etc.    In Housley's system, (assuming he incorporates NSH's o-zone attack), they like to cycle the puck up high in the zone to free up a d-man jumping into the high slot for a scoring chance.    No longer will Eichel circle deep in the zone come up high and shoot.   Instead he'll cycle up high with the d-men or act as a decoy deep in the zone.   This will significantly reduce his scoring chances.   

Nah.  That's nonsense.  Nashville had Josi, Ekholm Subban et al that could do what you said.  We don't. Jack's assists will go up because he will have fewer times where he is attacking one on one.  And Jack will be a quick strike option on neutral zone turnovers which Housley also preaches and the Sabres were allergic to.

I think he'll miss about a dozen games, and Housely's system isn't kind to forward production.   Jack won't be asked to carry the puck as much due to defensemen rushing the puck and joining the offense.   Why will that cause a drop in his production?   Hear me out.   Most of Eichel's goals come from the outside, shots from high in the slot, above the circles, etc.    In Housley's system, (assuming he incorporates NSH's o-zone attack), they like to cycle the puck up high in the zone to free up a d-man jumping into the high slot for a scoring chance.    No longer will Eichel circle deep in the zone come up high and shoot.   Instead he'll cycle up high with the d-men or act as a decoy deep in the zone.   This will significantly reduce his scoring chances.   

No coach in his right mind is going to neutralize his best player

Sounds alot like the Ovechkin won't produce under Trotz a few years back. I have to hope that Housley isn't coming here trying to make us the Preds. We're not the Preds and if we try to play their system we will be bottom 5 in the league.

39G 39A for 78 pts, or in case of injury I still think he will maintain right around .95PPG

Sounds alot like the Ovechkin won't produce under Trotz a few years back. I have to hope that Housley isn't coming here trying to make us the Preds. We're not the Preds and if we try to play their system we will be bottom 5 in the league.

39G 39A for 78 pts, or in case of injury I still think he will maintain right around .95PPG

Correct, the Preds play the game they do is because they don't have an elite forward on their team. They have no Jack Eichel.

A healthy Jack can thrive in any system. Jack's stats last year were nearly identical to his rookie year, except in 3/4 of the games. That is a huge improvement. What is interesting is that he is consistent at 4 assists for every 3 goals. If this ratio continues next season and he gets to or exceeds a pt a game pace, we should see 36g and 48a for a 82 game season.

However to take the next leap in development there are 3 things he needs to improve on. Since he likes to get possession of the puck and then hold it, he needs to improve on his faceoff% (38% isn't good enough) and takeway/giveaway ratio. It would also be nice of he can improve on his 10% shooting %. I'd like to see Jack at around 12% shooting % and at least 45% on the draws. Also Matthews, McDavid and Forsberg were in the top 10 in takeaways last season.

I think he'll miss about a dozen games, and Housely's system isn't kind to forward production. Jack won't be asked to carry the puck as much due to defensemen rushing the puck and joining the offense. Why will that cause a drop in his production? Hear me out. Most of Eichel's goals come from the outside, shots from high in the slot, above the circles, etc. In Housley's system, (assuming he incorporates NSH's o-zone attack), they like to cycle the puck up high in the zone to free up a d-man jumping into the high slot for a scoring chance. No longer will Eichel circle deep in the zone come up high and shoot. Instead he'll cycle up high with the d-men or act as a decoy deep in the zone. This will significantly reduce his scoring chances.

Nashville doesn't have Buffalo's centers

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.