Playoffs, the only acceptable outcome

LGR4GM

It needs to be stated. The only acceptable outcome the playoffs. No excuses.

So, what happens if they don't make it? Fire the first time head coach and first time GM after only one year? Tank again?

Edited by SwampD

It most certainly does. Why are you so adamant that we improved to the point of playoff qualifier? Where are the adds? Baloo? Antipin? Pouliiot? Keeping the young guns in Rochester? Sounds more like a veiled effort to have a shot at Dahlin without being obvious about it.

I expected playoffs last year, and I expect them this year to. If we fail then I'm tossing Pegula under a bus.. He's the one that has been making these management decisions on both the Sabres and the bills and not a single one has panned out... (YET!).... The guy is batting 0.000.

I have hope but very little patience after years upon years of Buffalo sports debacles

Edited by ddaryl

It most certainly does. Why are you so adamant that we improved to the point of playoff qualifier? Where are the adds? Baloo? Antipin? Pouliiot? Keeping the young guns in Rochester? Sounds more like a veiled effort to have a shot at Dahlin without being obvious about it.

Don't forget Scandella. No way this team is setting their sights on Dahlin.

---

On another note, Jim Hughson was on Sportsnet radio talking about how the Oilers are attempting the Pittsburgh model, and that league wide the movement as a whole is headed in that direction: Attempt at a 1/2 centre punch locked up for big $ ala Sid/Geno. Speed. College draftees, who are able to step in on cheap deals, but also ready to contribute upon league entrance (Guentzel, etc) as they are in their early 20s and not teenagers. Specifically mentioned that Buffalo brought over "Pittsburgh guys" to do this.

So the league is trending in this direction, but only one team, the Sabres, has the Architect.

Things may not work out for the Sabres, but if they do, I think we'll be the class of the league.

Don't forget Scandella. No way this team is setting their sights on Dahlin.

---

On another note, Jim Hughson was on Sportsnet radio talking about how the Oilers are attempting the Pittsburgh model, and that league wide the movement as a whole is headed in that direction: Attempt at a 1/2 centre punch locked up for big $ ala Sid/Geno. Speed. College draftees, who are able to step in on cheap deals, but also ready to contribute upon league entrance (Guentzel, etc) as they are in their early 20s and not teenagers. Specifically mentioned that Buffalo brought over "Pittsburgh guys" to do this.

So the league is trending in this direction, but only one team, the Sabres, has the Architect.

Things may not work out for the Sabres, but if they do, I think we'll be the class of the league.

I'm not entirely onboard with this. 

Sure, it's a copycat league and right now the PIT model is the hot trend.     But it was just a few short years ago that the LAK model was the way everybody wanted to go.... big forwards playing a heavy game, wear down teams physically, etc..      The league evolves so fast that copying another franchise and hoping for the same success rarely works out.    BUF is copying PIT, but the majority of teams will put resources into designing systems to counter the PIT model.... what exactly that is... who knows.    But I'd put money on the idea that whoever figures out how to counter PITs speed game will be the next multiple Cup winner.    I'm afraid BUF will just be caught in the tide at that point.  

The Penguins were an accident (provided you don't believe in conspiracy theories). The Oilers fell ass backwards into McDavid. Their GM is an idiot. Should be fun to watch.

Provided you don't believe in conspiracy theories.

I'm not entirely onboard with this. 

Sure, it's a copycat league and right now the PIT model is the hot trend.     But it was just a few short years ago that the LAK model was the way everybody wanted to go.... big forwards playing a heavy game, wear down teams physically, etc..      The league evolves so fast that copying another franchise and hoping for the same success rarely works out.    BUF is copying PIT, but the majority of teams will put resources into designing systems to counter the PIT model.... what exactly that is... who knows.    But I'd put money on the idea that whoever figures out how to counter PITs speed game will be the next multiple Cup winner.    I'm afraid BUF will just be caught in the tide at that point.

It depends how long the Pittsburgh trend lasts. It could be years. The Kings model was short lived. The Penguins have had sustained success for a decade.

Also, if the league ever actually cleans up it's act and moves away from all the slashing and obstruction and actually calls penalties, we'd be in an even better position.

I'm happy that we have the guy who gets a lot of the credit on the management side for the Pens continued success, it puts us in perhaps a uniquely viable position.

Funny.  I saw the tank as supporting my point too.

I would offer LVGK.  Using their opportunity to ice a playoff team would have been  negligent.  Nice sounds byte but not practical. 

Why?

Because they acquired enough assets through deals to accumulate a wealth of talent that will serve them for years to come. They will be the next Islanders winning championships not just making the making the playoffs. Foregoing the opportunity to put together a team designed for short term gain versus long term sustainability was the right move.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.