Jbot so far?

GASabresIUFAN

Thumbs Up or Down  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Are you happy with the job Jbot's done so far

• Yes - Thumbs up
    • No - Thumbs down
    • Not sure
  2. 2. Are you more or less optimistic about next season?

• I already miss TM & DD and think the Sabres are going in the wrong direction
    • The Sabres are better, but not enough to be a playoff contender
    • The Sabres should contend for a playoff spot
  3. 3. What should be the official Sabrespace designation for GM Jason Botterill?

• Jbot or similar
    • JB
    • JBotto
    • The Man
    • JazzyB
    • Not TM
    • GMJB
    • Other

Will it be a strike against him if he doesn't make a deal for a LW?

Not necessarily. I think Kane, Pouliot, and Girgensons provide a decent enough left side, considering our Centre (elite) and RW (solid) depth.

Moulson is the question mark. To me, if no more LW additions are made, that means Botterill thinks Moulson has a realistic chance at a mainstay LW spot this season. So I think it'll only be a strike against JBot if Moulson can't achieve what is expected of him.

Botterill can hedge his bet a bit if he brings in another LWer for depth, which I think he may do, as right now I can really only Bailey as an option to fill in for Moulson should he underperform.

I feel exectly the same about our LW depth as I did about the D before last season. Waiting for another move or two...

Thankfully, it's considerably easier to mask LW issues than defensive ones.

Not necessarily. I think Kane, Pouliot, and Girgensons provide a decent enough left side, considering our Centre (elite) and RW (solid) depth.

Moulson is the question mark. To me, if no more LW additions are made, that means Botterill thinks Moulson has a realistic chance at a mainstay LW spot this season. So I think it'll only be a strike against JBot if Moulson can't achieve what is expected of him.

Botterill can hedge his bet a bit if he brings in another LWer for depth, which I think he may do, as right now I can really only Bailey as an option to fill in for Moulson should he underperform.

Thankfully, it's considerably easier to mask LW issues than defensive ones.

To be fair Moulson is a serviceable lw. His stat line last year was 14-18-32. His contract stinks though.

If we don't make the playoffs Botterill hasn't done a good enough job. No more excuses. This team should expect to make the playoffs.

Agreed.

---

Any interest in Viktor Stalberg, as a cheap UFA signing for LW depth? Still available.

I don't think he will get a C or an A, but I kind of expect Pominville to be one of the locker room leaders this year.  His best days were here in Buffalo and I think he's going to do everything within his power to push to bring the Cup to Buffalo while he's here.  That may mean that the team outperforms expectations, starting with making the playoffs this year.  I kind of expect Pommer to impatiently push the team toward a strong start, attempting to duplicate their start of 2006-07.  The team's identity has been that of under-performers since the tank; I just don't see Pominville standing for that, knowing how good the team was in the past, and how much talent they have on the team now.

Gionta brought a level of stability and professionalism to the team; I expect Pomminstein to bring a spark and be the team's biggest cheerleader.

I don't think he will get a C or an A, but I kind of expect Pominville to be one of the locker room leaders this year.  His best days were here in Buffalo and I think he's going to do everything within his power to push to bring the Cup to Buffalo while he's here.  That may mean that the team outperforms expectations, starting with making the playoffs this year.  I kind of expect Pommer to impatiently push the team toward a strong start, attempting to duplicate their start of 2006-07.  The team's identity has been that of under-performers since the tank; I just don't see Pominville standing for that, knowing how good the team was in the past, and how much talent they have on the team now.

Gionta brought a level of stability and professionalism to the team; I expect Pomminstein to bring a spark and be the team's biggest cheerleader.

I like that thought, that Pommers will want to take us places

To be fair Moulson is a serviceable lw. His stat line last year was 14-18-32. His contract stinks though.

Good point.  For a 3rd line LW, that's acceptable providing he can replicate that production this year.  Like you state, it's the contract, and the lack of any upside.

I like that thought, that Pommers will want to take us places

He's not that good anymore. The only reason half of us are excited about him is because taking him on allowed us to ditch the anchor that is Tyler Ennis. Pominville can pull his own weight but he's not a miracle worker. There's still too much dead weight on the roster.

He's not that good anymore. The only reason half of us are excited about him is because taking him on allowed us to ditch the anchor that is Tyler Ennis. Pominville can pull his own weight but he's not a miracle worker. There's still too much dead weight on the roster.

Still think he can play some solid minutes for us and get maybe 40-45 points.

Still think he can play some solid minutes for us and get maybe 40-45 points.

I do too. That's still a big drop off from fearless leader and "captain" without the C or A that will restore Buffalo to it's former cuspy glory that Doohickie was intimating. I would expect that kind of ball washing from whiskey.

I'd be impressed if he found a way to get out from under Moulson's contract. Freeing up his roster spot would in itself be a miracle right about now. Certainly swapping Ennis for Pomer's is pretty good but pretty sure EXGMTM could have swung that deal. Still waiting for a the one big deal that lets everyone know JBotto has arrived as a GM...

I do too. That's still a big drop off from fearless leader and "captain" without the C or A that will restore Buffalo to it's former cuspy glory that Doohickie was intimating. I would expect that kind of ball washing from whiskey.

...very nice... *golf clap* 

• 4 weeks later...

I have to say I'm impressed with Jbot's handling of the RFA's. No arbitration hearings. All deals cap reasonable and No stupid contracts. Everyone so far signed to very reasonable deals that all have a little "prove it" for the future built in. Lehner 1 yr at $4 buys JBot a year to evaluate Lehner as a #1 long-term and 2 years on Ullmark gives us at worst a guaranteed backup for 2018-19 at a low cost. Smart!

Baloo for 2 years at 2.4 could be a steal. He had 28 pts last year as a D. Getting a 28 pt forward for 2.4 would be s huge bargain. Getting 2 years gives Baloo 2 years to prove he is a top 4 guy and backup PP qb for the long-term and helps gives us cap certainty for 2018-19 on the back-end.

Larsson 2 years at 1.475 could also be a bargain if he stays healthy and chips in 25-30 pts as the 3rd Center. Becoming effective on the pk would be a great help. He also locked up utility forward and Jack buddy ERod for 2 years at 650k.

Only Zemgus left to do.

All these 2 year deals are going to help Jbot out next off-season. As it stands we have 13 RFA's next summer including Jack, Sam, Lehner, Bailey, Baptiste, and Fasching.

He's not invested in anyone long term this offseason, he signed his RFA's to realistic offers, while keeping to his word on being a cap strategist.  He maneuvered to remove Ennis out and bring back a fan favorite who out pointed the two players combined he traded and improved the defense.  He used the expansion draft to swindle Montreal out of Beaulieu even though their fans will say otherwise.  He added depth and drafted for speed and skill.  There still are some other needs / youth needed mainly on the back end, but this was a more methodical approach at improving the team.  I believe we'll see more haggling and maneuvering as the season comes.  Either way it's been a thumbs up.  Get out from under the Bogosian / Moulson deals and you're even more of a GM God.

He's not invested in anyone long term this offseason, he signed his RFA's to realistic offers, while keeping to his word on being a cap strategist.  He maneuvered to remove Ennis out and bring back a fan favorite who out pointed the two players combined he traded and improved the defense.  He used the expansion draft to swindle Montreal out of Beaulieu even though their fans will say otherwise.  He added depth and drafted for speed and skill.  There still are some other needs / youth needed mainly on the back end, but this was a more methodical approach at improving the team.  I believe we'll see more haggling and maneuvering as the season comes.  Either way it's been a thumbs up.  Get out from under the Bogosian / Moulson deals and you're even more of a GM God.

Even more of a GM God? Really? How about he win us a damn Cup before we start on the shrine? It's like the polar opposite of the "Because Buffalo" crowd.

I have to say I'm impressed with Jbot's handling of the RFA's. No arbitration hearings. All deals cap reasonable and No stupid contracts. Everyone so far signed to very reasonable deals that all have a little "prove it" for the future built in. Lehner 1 yr at $4 buys JBot a year to evaluate Lehner as a #1 long-term and 2 years on Ullmark gives us at worst a guaranteed backup for 2018-19 at a low cost. Smart!

Baloo for 2 years at 2.4 could be a steal. He had 28 pts last year as a D. Getting a 28 pt forward for 2.4 would be s huge bargain. Getting 2 years gives Baloo 2 years to prove he is a top 4 guy and backup PP qb for the long-term and helps gives us cap certainty for 2018-19 on the back-end.

Larsson 2 years at 1.475 could also be a bargain if he stays healthy and chips in 25-30 pts as the 3rd Center. Becoming effective on the pk would be a great help. He also locked up utility forward and Jack buddy ERod for 2 years at 650k.

Only Zemgus left to do.

All these 2 year deals are going to help Jbot out next off-season. As it stands we have 13 RFA's next summer including Jack, Sam, Lehner, Bailey, Baptiste, and Fasching.

I too like the job JBott has done so far.  Calm, steady, prudent and effective.

I disagree with the bolded though.  Good cap management does not include handing out $2.4MM contracts to JAG forwards.

I too like the job JBott has done so far.  Calm, steady, prudent and effective.

I disagree with the bolded though.  Good cap management does not include handing out $2.4MM contracts to JAG forwards.

That's easily the going rate for a 30pt forward. 

I feel like we're complementing him for tying his shoes.  There really hasn't been any major challenge so far.  We'll find out about that soon enough though, as they start to approach their plans for next offseason.  I'd imagine that once Zemgus is taken care of, we'll see quick action on the Eichel front.  That's still the easy part though, it's what he does to work around that mega-deal.

Edited by shrader

I feel like we're complementing him for tying his shoes.  There really hasn't been any major challenge so far.  We'll find out about that soon enough though, as they start to approach their plans for next offseason.  I'd imagine that once Zemgus is taken care of, we'll see quick action on the Eichel front.  That's still the easy part though, it's what he does to work around that mega-deal.

I think most of it has been routine but I would argue fixing the defense was a major challenge and finding a coach. He definitely upgraded the defense and it should be better. The coach verdict is out and will be for a bit. I love Housley and I am pumped for him, I think it was a good hire but we have no proof of that yet.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.