Will Butcher - Let's use that college loophole

LGR4GM

He's undersized, doesn't skate well, but has high hockey IQ.

I've never heard that he doesn't skate well. The last report I read was that he had excellent speed in both directions with good acceleration and footwork.

I'd rather use his roster spot on Shattenkirk

If signed he gets a 1 yr ELC so only takes a roster spot if he makes the team. Otherwise he can go to the AHL. Edited by GASabresFan

But no one available via FA is either including Shattenkirk.  So absent a trade, adding more possibilities can't hurt right?  I hope for this season lies in one or two prospects or new adds outperforming their projections not meeting them.

Shattenkirk would significantly help our d-corps. He'd instantly be our best Defenceman.

Bartlett told WGR that Colorado basically ignored Butcher until his success this year.

“As soon as they’re done, he’ll have a contract offer,” Sakic said. “We hope to sign him. He’s had a tremendous year. Since the moment we drafted him, four years in college, he’s gotten better every year and he’s obviously hot, the Hobey Baker winner, and hopefully we can sign him and have him be part of the organization.”

“I told him (Sakic) I didn’t want an offer yet,” Butcher told The Denver Post.  “I wanted to sit with him, talk with him about my year, what they’re thinking, what their philosophy is going to be. My parents are coming in this weekend for the banquet, and I want to talk to my parents before they offer me anything.”

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know where else to put this, so I figured it at least relates to this discussion...

Will Borgen told Paul Hamilton that he plans on staying in school all 4 years to finish his degree because, "You can't play hockey forever."

Also, Casey Fitzgerald is related to Ryan Fitzgerald, Kevin and Jimmy Hayes, Matthew Tkachuk, and his father Tom Fitzgerald is the AGM of the Devils...he's also good friends with Jimmy Vesey.

I'm not the least bit concerned about Casey Mittelstadt getting anywhere close to free agency, but I think there's a good possibility we could lose Borgen and/or Fitzgerald.

Borgen I'm almost resigned to the fact that he'll be gone after reading that interview, but Fitzgerald I at least hold out hope that he knows and thinks highly of Botterill through his father.

Losing one would hurt, losing both would be devastating...I'd rather keep Borgen, even though Fitzgerald was drafted higher.

(Borgen spoke of Jack Ahcan, who I wanted the Sabres to take in the 7th round...that could've helped sway him to stay with Buffalo, or at least it wouldn't have hurt.)

*As for Will Butcher, I'd love to get our hands on him...as I posted before, Botterill and the Penguins were consistently pulling in NCAA free agents and I hope that trend continues with the Sabres. (Daniel Brickley, too!)

http://www.wgr550.com/articles/news/sabres-borgen-feels-playing-college-important

Borgen has played 70 games with the Huskies and has decided to go back there for his junior season. He said it wasn’t a hard decision, “It's just school is the number one priority for me right now. I’m trying to get a degree because you can’t play hockey forever. That’s just my mom’s theory.”

“I like it, I had a good D partner in Jack Ahcan who is a very smart player and helps me out a lot, so we like to handle the loads against some good teams and players.”
Edited by Dank Dangleson

I have him very comparable to Anthony Florentino, though I'm probably penalizing his size too much. The past 3 years he averages at about 30th best D in his draft class. Let me change my answer, Rochester? Sure, sign him up.

What? Florentino never had more than 16 points, while Butcher had above 30 the past two seasons. Florentino is more of a defensive defenseman, Butcher is an offensive defenseman.

Florentino - 54 points in 131 games.

Butcher - 103 points in 158 games.

Borgen has played 70 games with the Huskies and has decided to go back there for his junior season. He said it wasn’t a hard decision, “It's just school is the number one priority for me right now. I’m trying to get a degree because you can’t play hockey forever. That’s just my mom’s theory.”

Uh-oh.  Helicopter Parent.  It'll be just like Coney Hotdog all over again!  :angel:

Edited by Doohickie

I don't think Borgen or Fitzgerald are worth losing sleep over. Are either in their top 15 prospects?

I would say Borgen is...The Hockey News has him as the Sabres' 7th best prospect, #2 among defensemen.

He was also voted as a top-31 NCAA player this season by the college scouts at SB Nation College Hockey...above Vecchione, Brickley, Pionk and some other high quality players.

https://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2017/3/22/15015850/2017-top-100-nhl-prospects-in-the-ncaa-31-35-brickley-lindgren-foley-novak-borgen

31. Will Borgen, Defenseman, St. Cloud State(Buffalo Sabres)

After a breakout freshman year, Borgen had a bit of a difficult transition in his sophomore season. With the departure of all-American and Hobey Baker finalist Ethan Prow on the SCSU blue line, Borgen got off to a very tough start to the season by trying to do a little too much of everything. He settled down as the season progressed and played much better by letting the game come to him rather than trying to force plays

Borgen’s skating ability and athleticism is excellent for a defender that plays a physical, defense-first style of hockey. He’s able to win one-on-one battles for the puck and skate his way out of tight situations to start transition offense. He sometimes struggles with discipline, but his refusal to not back down from opponents, even if it means sometimes crossing the line, likely won’t be seen as a negative in the pro game. He doesn’t project to provide much offense at the pro level, but he moves the puck well enough that he won’t be a liability. He has potential as a good second pairing defenseman at the NHL level that provides a nice stay-at-home complement to a more offensive-minded defenseman.

Edited by Dank Dangleson

I don't know where else to put this, so I figured it at least relates to this discussion...

Will Borgen told Paul Hamilton that he plans on staying in school all 4 years to finish his degree because, "You can't play hockey forever."

Also, Casey Fitzgerald is related to Ryan Fitzgerald, Kevin and Jimmy Hayes, Matthew Tkachuk, and his father Tom Fitzgerald is the AGM of the Devils...he's also good friends with Jimmy Vesey.

I'm not the least bit concerned about Casey Mittelstadt getting anywhere close to free agency, but I think there's a good possibility we could lose Borgen and/or Fitzgerald.

Borgen I'm almost resigned to the fact that he'll be gone after reading that interview, but Fitzgerald I at least hold out hope that he knows and thinks highly of Botterill through his father.

Losing one would hurt, losing both would be devastating...I'd rather keep Borgen, even though Fitzgerald was drafted higher.

(Borgen spoke of Jack Ahcan, who I wanted the Sabres to take in the 7th round...that could've helped sway him to stay with Buffalo, or at least it wouldn't have hurt.)

*As for Will Butcher, I'd love to get our hands on him...as I posted before, Botterill and the Penguins were consistently pulling in NCAA free agents and I hope that trend continues with the Sabres. (Daniel Brickley, too!)http://www.wgr550.com/articles/news/sabres-borgen-feels-playing-college-important

Even if Borgen stays all 4 years, the Sabres still have the ability to sign him (should they want to) after that senior season is done & free him of 1 year off his ELC. There is a large value to that which all but a handful of college players find worth giving up FA for.

Even if Borgen stays all 4 years, the Sabres still have the ability to sign him (should they want to) after that senior season is done & free him of 1 year off his ELC. There is a large value to that which all but a handful of college players find worth giving up FA for.

Like everyone says...if they get that far, there's no point in them not going to free agency.

Cal Petersen signed with the Kings for 2 years, so he got a year taken off an ELC as a free agent.

I just don't think it's something that should be ignored.

And if he's that big of a student and has been hitting the classes hard, he could graduate after three years. That it he can finish during the summer. Leaving school a year early isn't that much of an obstacle for for degree.

Like everyone says...if they get that far, there's no point in them not going to free agency.

Cal Petersen signed with the Kings for 2 years, so he got a year taken off an ELC as a free agent.

I just don't think it's something that should be ignored.

No, he got the standard 2 year deal players his age get when signing an ELC. He got no reduction in term by signing for '17-'18.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.