Around the NHL 2017

spndnchz

I suspect that there's a big generational gap when it comes to the olympics. I don't know where the line would be exactly, but many on the older side are always going to lean towards wanting amateurs back in the olympics. That admitedly has its flaws given what the USSR was throwing out there and other countries in sure.

The league is always going to push for the World Cup system that is under their control. You can get your international all star tourney that way. If they are paying these guys big money, they don't want them leaving mid season for games where they get no financial return.

He's only 24, and put up 14-47-61pts this year. Still, would like to see that goal total go up for a $8M per year guy

I agree. He only had 14 goals the previous year too, split across Columbus and Nashville. He's scored 60+ points in each of the past 4 seasons, but I tend to value goals more than assists as well.

I agree. He only had 14 goals the previous year too, split across Columbus and Nashville. He's scored 60+ points in each of the past 4 seasons, but I tend to value goals more than assists as well.

Why?

Are they not of equal value to the team?  A goal is a goal and an assist lead to a goal, no?

Not that this is how contracts are signed, but just by compensating Jack's point pace of 77 points this past season based on what Johansen got over 82 games - 61 points - puts Jack's new deal at $10.1 Million per, if he's paid the same based on a dollars per points basis.

That's not factoring in that Jack did that at 20. Could be looking at 11 mil per for Jack.

Granted, Johansen's deal bought 7 UFA years, and Jack's presumably only 4, but still.

Edited by Thorny

Well, you can have two assists, but only one point for the team, right?

I get that, but I still think the assists are of equal value to the goals.

That's why I would value an assist machine (Thorton, Oates ...) cos without all those play making assists their teammates wouldn't score the goals.

I get that, but I still think the assists are of equal value to the goals.

That's why I would value an assist machine (Thorton, Oates ...) cos without all those play making assists their teammates wouldn't score the goals.

Assists just feel like a very murky stat. Sure, you can bank on 80-90% of Thorton's assists being legitimately plays where he actually creates the goal, but for other players? A lot of the times they just pass the puck and the goal scorer creates all the magic. 

Assists just feel like a very murky stat. Sure, you can bank on 80-90% of Thorton's assists being legitimately plays where he actually creates the goal, but for other players? A lot of the times they just pass the puck and the goal scorer creates all the magic.

And often it's the opposite. A dazzling play by the player notching the assist, as the goal goes in off someone's butt when they aren't looking.

And often it's the opposite. A dazzling play by the player notching the assist, as the goal goes in off someone's butt when they aren't looking.

I think a good assist with a crap goal happens less often than a crap assist with a good goal

Sometimes it's the goal, sometimes it's the assist. There's generally 2 assists for every goal, so in that sense they are "easier" to get, but which is more influential is determined on a case-by-case basis.

I think a good assist with a crap goal happens less often than a crap assist with a good goal

Secondary assists, sure. Plenty of primary assists lead to tap-ins.

It depends on the position, often. I don't care that McDavid "only" had 30 goals. It's his 70 assists that show his value as a player. And I'd rather have Jack's ratios, as a centre, than Matthews' Brandon Pirri-like (exaggeration) ratio.

Edited by Thorny

Secondary assists, sure. Plenty of primary assists lead to tap-ins.

It depends on the position, often. I don't care that McDavid "only" had 30 goals. It's his 70 assists that show his value as a player. And I'd rather have Jack's ratios, as a centre, than Matthews' Brandon Pirri-like (exaggeration) ratio.

I'm not saying they don't lead to tap-ins, but it depends on the player when viewing that stat. You bring up Thorton and McDavid, which of course I'm going to believe the majority of their assists are them legitimately creating the goal. 

As far as Matthews ratio as a center...weren't you a big Stamkos proponent? ;)

I'm not saying they don't lead to tap-ins, but it depends on the player when viewing that stat. You bring up Thorton and McDavid, which of course I'm going to believe the majority of their assists are them legitimately creating the goal.

As far as Matthews ratio as a center...weren't you a big Stamkos proponent? ;)

Good memory.

Yes, I was. As a potential winger for Jack.

There's a reason why even Tampa shifted Stammer to wing. And why I shied away from some of the Eichel/Stamkos comparisons that were out there when Jack was getting drafted. They are such different players.

Edited by Thorny

Interesting stat: Matthews is one of only 2 centres in the top 89 scorers from last season to have more Goals than Assists. The other is Kadri.

Rakell is next to do so, at spot 90.

Matthews and Kadri are the only 2 to do so, out of the top 42 scoring centres in the NHL last season.

So, likely means Matthews' assist totals are likely to go up.

...or his goal totals will go down. Where Pi at? :P

Edited by Thorny

I guess I don't value assists as high is because they are given the same point value as a goal - even a secondary assist. Whereas a goal (assisted or unassisted) can win a game, an assist in itself has never won a game.

As for Matthews, his goals will undoubtedly go down, but his assists will go up. I can't say for sure what his points will do.

I guess I don't value assists as high is because they are given the same point value as a goal - even a secondary assist. Whereas a goal (assisted or unassisted) can win a game, an assist in itself has never won a game.

As for Matthews, his goals will undoubtedly go down, but his assists will go up. I can't say for sure what his points will do.

Sure it has, the last time a redirected pass went in the net ;)

Sure it has, the last time a redirected pass went in the net ;)

Technically, yes, I suppose. Or, you can say the goal never would've been scored without the redirect.

Anyways, can AHL players partake in the olympics? If so, could we see some young, bubble (i.e. nonessential) players intentionally being sent down to play in them?

Interesting stat: Matthews is one of only 2 centres in the top 89 scorers from last season to have more Goals than Assists. The other is Kadri.

Rakell is next to do so, at spot 90.

Matthews and Kadri are the only 2 to do so, out of the top 42 scoring centres in the NHL last season.

So, likely means Matthews' assist totals are likely to go up.

...or his goal totals will go down. Where Pi at? :P

what was Matthews sh% ?

Matthews s% was a 14.3%, on 279 shots, 476 attempted 

Eichel's s% was 9.6% (down from 10.1% the previous season), on 249 shots, 428 attempted

Stamkos career is 17.1%, and when he plays a full season it's about 270-300 shots.

So, take Samkos' career average of 17.1%, and apply that to Matthews and Eichel. Matthews now has 48 goals, and Eichel has 43. Both obliterating their assist totals, while also shooting the same amount (Matthews) or more (Eichel) than Stamkos does on an average year.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.