Around the NHL 2017

spndnchz

http://illegalcurve.com/2018/03/29/game-77-blackhawks-6-jets-2-post-game-report/

His (and other) postgame interviews are here. He's also witty. 

"I think I'm just hitting my prime"

I believe this is the only time in NHL history that an emergency goalie played significant game time. According to the thread on hf, one other guy got 8 seconds in which nothing happened, Scott played at least 14 minutes I think. 

He robbed Stastny on a cross-creaser too. 

d4rk, all hope is not lost. 

http://illegalcurve.com/2018/03/29/game-77-blackhawks-6-jets-2-post-game-report/

His (and other) postgame interviews are here. He's also witty.

"I think I'm just hitting my prime"

I believe this is the only time in NHL history that an emergency goalie played significant game time. According to the thread on hf, one other guy got 8 seconds in which nothing happened, Scott played at least 14 minutes I think.

He robbed Stastny on a cross-creaser too.

d4rk, all hope is not lost.

That's what's so funny about this. Think about pro sports and ask yourself: what other league would not only allow this but actively practice it? What other league would call some random dude in off the streets to play in a game?

This would be like asking Dave from Orchard Park who played a little highschool football to come in and finish out a Bills game.

It's absurd that having an in-house emergency goalie isn't a thing. No player designated. No equipment guy or the goalie coach. No one. Go find me a goalie down at the rink, now!

Edited by darksabre

He said the team has a bunch of guys that rotate through, basically on call.  It happened to be his turn.

I also didn't realize that he was the emergency goalie for both teams.  Had Winnie lost both their goalies he would have worn a Jets uni.

He said the team has a bunch of guys that rotate through, basically on call.  It happened to be his turn.

I also didn't realize that he was the emergency goalie for both teams.  Had Winnie lost both their goalies he would have worn a Jets uni.

That's the way it works at the AHL level. Not remotely surprised that it works that way at the NHL level.

And that really harkens back to the truly old NHL when most goalies played close to the entire season. The home team's backup (aka emergency) goalie was expected to go in if EITHER team's starter went down w/ injury. Teams weren't going to pay for a train ticket from Chicago to Boston unless there was a D*MN good reason to do so.

That makes sense.

Either way, I love it. 

That's what's so funny about this. Think about pro sports and ask yourself: what other league would not only allow this but actively practice it? What other league would call some random dude in off the streets to play in a game?

This would be like asking Dave from Orchard Park who played a little highschool football to come in and finish out a Bills game.

It's absurd that having an in-house emergency goalie isn't a thing. No player designated. No equipment guy or the goalie coach. No one. Go find me a goalie down at the rink, now!

Took the words out of my mouth. It's not awesome at all, except for the guy and his buddies. It's still a garage league.

Part of it is the nature of the position itself, hockey goalie is unlike any other in all of sports.  Even in soccer, you lose your goalie without a sub an outfield player throws the gloves on and off we go.  Not sure that's possible here.  Every team should have a house goalie for absolute emergencies, which is pretty much the case here.  I mean, the odds of what happened last night happening are astronomical, and we'll likely never see it again.  

Many legitimate sticks with which to beat the NHL.  Don't make your own out of toothpicks.

Took the words out of my mouth. It's not awesome at all, except for the guy and his buddies. It's still a garage league.

I think you're missing something here which is the spirit of the hockey. Did you see how much fun the players thought it was? Quenniville having a laugh. This kinda stuff is what keeps the NHL charming.

Is it crazy? Maybe. But how can you not love it? Especially when the NHL keeps trying to find ways to make the games less fun.

I think you're missing something here which is the spirit of the hockey. Did you see how much fun the players thought it was? Quenniville having a laugh. This kinda stuff is what keeps the NHL charming.

Is it crazy? Maybe. But how can you not love it? Especially when the NHL keeps trying to find ways to make the games less fun.

Still trying to figure out why it's crazy. Teams do have an emergency backup goalie. Several, actually, that they rotate through. I think one even got in last night.

Edited by SwampD

I'm not denying it's a cute story that will get the NHL 12 unexpected hours of positive national coverage in the U.S. But what's the overriding takeaway? "Really? Anyone can play in an NHL game? What kind of major sport is this?"

Look up Paul Wieland's near-life experience in 1977. Paul was the Sabres first director of PR and worked on their broadcasts. He was a decent amateur goalie and served as practice goalie for the Sabres at times. The starter, Gerry Desjardins, took a puck in the mask and injured his eye. GM Punch Imlach was considering a trade for a goalie for the next game but decided to first see what he had in kid Don Edwards, who was playing in AHL Hershey.

The backup goalie was journeyman Al Smith. When the Sabres started Edwards instead of Smith for the next game, a home game at the Aud, Smith got pissed and quit, on the ice, after the anthems, waving goodbye at the Knoxes. (Both Smith and Edwards assumed Smith was playing and only found out Edwards was starting just before the game.)

Wieland, who was working on the radio with Rick and had taken shots in the morning skate because they didn't want to risk another real goalie getting hurt, got a call in the pressbox to get his ass down to the lockerroom and suit up. Alas, when he was almost done getting his equipment on, trainer Frank Christie told him to forget it. Wieland wasn't in the official lineup, so he couldn't be the backup, let alone play.

That's pretty cynical. 

Buzz off. "Flag football star runs onto field to finish Super Bowl for Vikings." Tell me the NFL wouldn't get roasted.

Edited by PASabreFan

PA, would that be a worse look than "Super bowl literally can't finish because 4 players out of 50 got hurt"?

I think you keep going down your lineup instead of finding someone off the street. A beer league goalie playing in the NHL is, to use one of your favorite expressions, trash. Next up? Scandella. Broken patella? In you go, Antipin!

I think you keep going down your lineup instead of finding someone off the street. A beer league goalie playing in the NHL is, to use one of your favorite expressions, trash. Next up? Scandella. Broken patella? In you go, Antipin!

Looking for someone off the street, or using the guy "hired" to be the emergency goalie and who sits waiting for the situation game in and game out in every NHL arena for years and years, before finally having a chance? 

I just don't think it's that bush league, and I also think this story happened to be amazing. 

Someone has to post a video of the guy stoning Stastny on the cross crease, and listen to his interview, he's more likable and candid than any hockey player in a post game interview i've ever heard

Again, he wasn't "off the street." He was on a list of goalies that they rotate through. To complain about a system that has worked for this long and worked really well last night just seems like a waste of time.

PA,

I understand what you are saying about it kind of making the NHL not look professional etc ...

But, at the end of the day hockey at any level should be fun too.  Let's have some fun.

I'm ready for your call JBOT.  Put me in coach, I'm ready to play.

Much Love,

NS, CPA

What? That doesn't even make sense. Statically Karlsson won't shoot at 23% next season. I'll bet you whatever he will shoot below 20%.

I don't understand... statically?  What do you mean?  

I'm not arguing that he will definitely shoot over 20% next season.     Nobody knows.   But the idea that he definitely will NOT shoot over 20% (because he's guaranteed to trend toward his average) is flawed logic.  

Look up Paul Wieland's near-life experience in 1977. Paul was the Sabres first director of PR and worked on their broadcasts. He was a decent amateur goalie and served as practice goalie for the Sabres at times. The starter, Gerry Desjardins, took a puck in the mask and injured his eye. GM Punch Imlach was considering a trade for a goalie for the next game but decided to first see what he had in kid Don Edwards, who was playing in AHL Hershey.

The backup goalie was journeyman Al Smith. When the Sabres started Edwards instead of Smith for the next game, a home game at the Aud, Smith got pissed and quit, on the ice, after the anthems, waving goodbye at the Knoxes. (Both Smith and Edwards assumed Smith was playing and only found out Edwards was starting just before the game.)

Wieland, who was working on the radio with Rick and had taken shots in the morning skate because they didn't want to risk another real goalie getting hurt, got a call in the pressbox to get his ass down to the lockerroom and suit up. Alas, when he was almost done getting his equipment on, trainer Frank Christie told him to forget it. Wieland wasn't in the official lineup, so he couldn't be the backup, let alone play.

Buzz off. "Flag football star runs onto field to finish Super Bowl for Vikings." Tell me the NFL wouldn't get roasted.

Except their are plenty of guys playing semi-pro ball to reach out to.  You should see all the teams in southern NY and Mass that I have had to x-ray... mostly hand or knee sprains, still they are out there.

You literally find the negative in everything.  You know what?  You have point?  You know what else?  I don't even remotely pretend to care. 

You are the seagull of this board.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.