Prediction time: Who will Vegas take from the Sabres?

nfreeman

Vegas baby Vegas  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Who will Vegas take from the Sabres in the expansion draft?

• Carrier
    • Ullmark
    • Moulson
    • Bogo
    • Gorges
    • Falk
    • Deslauriers
    • One of the UFAs (Kulikov, Gionta, Franson, Fedun, etc.)

As always, this is not what you want to have happen -- this is what you think is going to happen.

I'm torn on this one.  On the one hand, Moulson's contract ($3MM total actual cash for the next 2 years; $10MM in cap hit) would be very Vegas-friendly if they in fact expect to struggle to get to the floor, and I'd expect JBott to work hard to try to get Vegas to take Moulson, and McPhee allegedly owed GMTM a favor, and Moulson has family ties to McPhee...and on the other hand, Moulson stinks and I have to believe Vegas will get better offers to take albatross contracts from other teams.

I also think Carrier is pretty close to JAG, while Ullmark and Bogo have more upside, and Bogo and Gorges would play right away and probably fill bigger roles than Carrier.  Also, Vegas could probably unload Gorges at the deadline for a draft pick.

I think Bogo's contract makes him an NFW.

I'm gonna say Moulson because of his contract and out of faith in JBott.  But I'm not confident.

Bogo or Carrier.

Can't see them taking Bogo with all of the other defensemen available from other teams 

I also think they take Moulson.

Same. There's not a lot of good forwards available from other teams, he's a vet, and I bet they think they can revive him for a few seasons 

They'll take Moulson in the draft and sign Kuli 7/1 in a wink-wink sort of way.

Not sure what you mean. If Kulikov is going to be a UFA anyways and hated being here, why would they take Moulson in exchange for some Kulikov guarantee 

Kulikov... and his salary would not count towards the cap floor they must reach with expansion picks.    Which is fine, because it frees up money to pick higher priced guys like Neal, Bob Ryan, etc...

Edited by pi2000

I went with Moulson. McPhee owes Buffalo/Murray a favor. I think McPhee will do something that helps Buffalo without receiving a draft pick or supplemental action to make it work.

Could also be Bogo, but I believe JB and Housley may want to keep him for depth or role right now.

Why does McPhee owe Buffalo a favor?

I really think it would be too good to be true if vegas took Matty or even Bogo and their big contracts. Of course there is no way they'd take Gorges either and I have to think they'd be wise to take Carrier who is young, cheap and exciting...all things that are highly sought. We'll be stuck with Moulson and Bogo (although I do think he may improve significantly under new coaching). I still don't understand Ennis but whatever...

Edited by Sabre fan

But you could say take Carrier and Moulson, trade us your 2nd and we'll give you our 2nd. They might did that. Or something like that.

They can only take one in the expansion "draft".   But they could do a deal immediately after... they "pick" Carrier, then BUF trades them Moulson and a 2nd for Vegas' 3rd or something of lesser value.

I'd rather keep Bogo for that cost. I wouldn't mind keeping him anyways, given the state of our blue line as it stands. 

Based purely on ability, I wouldn't exactly hate the idea of keeping Bogo around.    He'd provide good depth, albeit expensive depth. 

The issue with Bogo is that judging by his body language and the way he talks in interviews... he seems like one of those guys just happy to be in the league that Eichel was referring to.    When talking about creating a winning culture off the ice, I think he's a guy that needs to go.    Whether or not JBOT sees it that way, time will tell.

They can only take one in the expansion "draft".   But they could do a deal immediately after... they "pick" Carrier, then BUF trades them Moulson and a 2nd for Vegas' 3rd or something of lesser value.

Based purely on ability, I wouldn't exactly hate the idea of keeping Bogo around.    He'd provide good depth, albeit expensive depth. 

The issue with Bogo is that judging by his body language and the way he talks in interviews... he seems like one of those guys just happy to be in the league that Eichel was referring to.    When talking about creating a winning culture off the ice, I think he's a guy that needs to go.    Whether or not JBOT sees it that way, time will tell.

Or they can take Moulson in the expansion but after Buffalo agrees to give them Carrier and #38 for #34. Lots of options.

I have idea what agreements are in place, but I read one opinion stating that we left Carrier unprotected (and protected Ennis instead) based on an agreement with LV that they would not take Ullmark if we left Carrier unprotected so that they could take him.  Given the surprise to most that we protected Ennis and not Carrier leads me to believe that this opinion is plausible and that they will probably take Carrier.  He's a legitimate prospect - has speed, size and some grit.  He hasn't show the ability to finish, but that's why he's still a prospect - he's still developing and the scoring touch may come.  Even if it doesn't, he still has the speed, size and grit and teams need guys on the 3rd and 4th lines too.  As a side note, I hope they don't take Bogo.  I think that he can improve with the new coaching staff and if he becomes a top-4 D, his contract won't be so out of line.

Edited by msw2112

I have idea what agreements are in place, but I read one opinion stating that we left Carrier unprotected (and protected Ennis instead) based on an agreement with LV that they would not take Ullmark if we left Carrier unprotected so that they could take him.  Given the surprise to most that we protected Ennis and not Carrier leads me to believe that this opinion is plausible and that they will probably take Carrier.  He's a legitimate prospect - has speed, size and some grit.  He hasn't show the ability to finish, but that's why he's still a prospect - he's still developing and the scoring touch may come.  Even if it doesn't, he still has the speed, size and grit and teams need guys on the 3rd and 4th lines too.  As a side note, I hope they don't take Bogo.  I think that he can improve with the new coaching staff and if he becomes a top-4 D, his contract won't be so out of line.

This is also where I landed and voted in the whose going sweepstakes

Moulson makes a ton of sense to Buffalo and some sense to Vegas.

JBot will sweeten the pot to seal the deal.

Sounds plausible but lets remember JBot's claim to fame is knowing how to build a team from the ground up.

If that's true then drafting the players you want that fit and can grow in your system trumps giving up choices IMHO.   

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.