Head Coach Thread: What / Whom Do You Want, etc.?

Eleven

How would anyone know the difference? It's just going to be "choose your own narrative". 

Marv Levy as GM is the one I continue to point to here. The guy was never qualified for that job, but was given it because Ralph like him. Then Ted Nolan, who was given the job because Lafontaine liked him and he knew people would like him enough to let the team fail for a while under him. Those guys were never going to get that job with any other team.

I'd really rather noone who's ever been associated with the Sabres get the job (same with the GM, but obviously thats over now) just to be sure, but since 2 of the Big Names that have been thrown around have also been mentioned for OTHER teams (Boughner and Housley) I'd feel a little safer with them.

Edited by sabills

Per Dreger

Botterill has also started advising the candidates he has spoken to they're not getting the job. Hoping to hire before draft.

So some people he has spoken to have already been eliminated, good to know. Guess JBOT is working on stuff behind the scenes. 

Boughner has a better coaching resume than I thought he did, and those quote were the type of thing I'm looking for in a coach. And given the player he was, I'd imagine he has the presence that Botterill is looking for. Not sure if it's been mentioned, but a couple guests were on the WGR morning show today giving some insight. I could get excited about this.

I assumed they were at least competent considering Botterill even bothered to interview them.

Suppose they seemed competent until they began speaking? JBOT recognized it and removed them from consideration.

Not if they were idiots who couldn't tie their shoes.

Doesn't even have to be that. Could just be inherently different opinions on how to run a team, or the type of system to run. I Jbot wants to run X system, and he brings in a guy from a team with an X system, but then gets the guy there and he's like "well, that's they way the current HC likes to run it, but I would prefer to run a Y system" JBot could dismiss him out of hand. "You're a good coach, but we're looking to do something a little different.

Wouldn't Buffalo be closer to MN than Nashville? Or at least basically the same distance.

Hmm, so Phil's wife is a Republican state senator and he got in trouble for failing to adequately babysit a drunk and violent Theoren Fleury in a Columbus strip club. Which is a bigger knock on his character? ????

Edited by dudacek

How many SS posters are no longer interested in Housley as first choice after learning that he and his wife are Republicans?

I really don't care about that at all.  Housley is still my first choice.  Some posters are *beginning* to convince me that Boughner might be a decent second choice, but I really am not that interested in him.

Edited by Eleven

How many SS posters are no longer interested in Housley as first choice after learning that he and his wife are Republicans?

I'll volunteer, so your cushy stereotypes of Sabrespace posters don't get uncomfortably challenged. 

Housley is a nazi fascist that wants to kill the planet!!! 

Tocchet or Housley. Both are good with communication and are top candidates.

Either will do IMO...

But when it comes to politics religion and sports.. KEEP IT TO YOURSELF, otherwise there will be fall out. If you are going to use my form of entertainment to forward your opinionated agenda then I don't want you on the team ever. I like sports to be free of that non sense

In all seriousness, I think I'm more sold on Boughner than on Housley. I wouldn't be upset if we hired Phil at all, but I'm not nearly as emotionally attached to him as others are.

Funny, I've come over to that thinking myself. I actually think on paper and experience Boughner seems like the better candidate. Like you, I'm not upset if they hire Housley but I'm favoring Boughner at this point of the names I've heard. Tocchet I'm not opposed to but he would be placed behind Housley or Boughner on my list.

Edited by Radar

In all seriousness, I think I'm more sold on Boughner than on Housley. I wouldn't be upset if we hired Phil at all, but I'm not nearly as emotionally attached to him as others are.

Funny, I've come over to that thinking myself. I actually think on paper and experience Boughner seems like the better candidate. Like you, I'm not upset if they hire Housley but I'm favoring Boughner at this point of the names I've heard.

Agreed. Sign me up for the Boogieman 

Tocchet or Housley. Both are good with communication and are top candidates.

Either will do IMO...

But when it comes to politics religion and sports.. KEEP IT TO YOURSELF, otherwise there will be fall out. If you are going to use my form of entertainment to forward your opinionated agenda then I don't want you on the team ever. I like sports to be free of that non sense

I don't care if athletes or musicians or whatever use their fame as a platform to express their beliefs.  It didn't bother me when Tim Thomas refused to go to the White House (I think he's a tool for other reasons) and it didn't bother me when certain of the Patriots refused to go to the White House earlier this year.

Sometimes, it can really be helpful when someone famous steps out of the shadows.  Tommie Smith and John Carlos, for example.

I don't know if Boughner has surpassed Housley for me, but he's moved into a 1a 1b situation. I wouldn't be upset at all if Botterill just went ahead and hired him.

I don't know if Boughner has surpassed Housley for me, but he's moved into a 1a 1b situation. I wouldn't be upset at all if Botterill just went ahead and hired him.

Kinda curious what you think Housley has that Boogieman doesn't. 

Kinda curious what you think Housley has that Boogieman doesn't.

It may well be unfair, but given the type of player he was, I have some concern that Boughner may be too sympathetic to the Deslauriers of the world for my liking. Maybe not players as bad as Deslauriers, but the bangers that don't do much else. Boughner says all the right things, and his work with Burns is encouraging, but it's something that'd be in the back of my head. I wouldn't have that concern with Housley.

Again, this may be wholly irrational, but he wouldn't be the first coach in history to be overly drawn to players like himself.