2017-18 lineup prediction (the Original Lineup Thread)

GASabresIUFAN

Gionta is smaller than Ennis and filled that role this year.

Ennis is pathetic defensively. I don't think there's any precedent for a guy going from being as bad as he is to useful in a shutdown role. And halfway (or more) through his career? I'm calling no F'n way on that one.

Ennis is pathetic defensively. I don't think there's any precedent for a guy going from being as bad as he is to useful in a shutdown role. And halfway (or more) through his career? I'm calling no F'n way on that one.

He's got the basic hockey skills to do it, if he focuses on it. 

He needs to either get his old quickness back or find another role, or he'll be out of the league by the time he's 30.

I feel like I'm the only one who noticed Bailey being called up over baptiste repeatedly last year.

Pegula noticed, watched him play, watched Baptiste play and fired Murray. ????

Seriously, they are similar level prospects. Wasn't Baptiste called up once and Bailey twice?

Edited by dudacek

Baptiste played 14 games and Bailey 32. I also noted they had the same number of NHL points. It just seems odd that we are penciling Baptiste in higher than Bailey when right now we don't know who will be better. 

ROR - Eichel - Ennis

Kane - Reinhart - Okposo

Foligno - Larsson - Baptiste/Bailey

Moulson/Zemgus - Rodriguez - Carrier/Nylander?

Doohickie, you know we love ya, but this is like when Liger predicted that Robyn Regehr was going to become a force on the power play. 

And that is why I won't predict Baptiste or Bailey as a force on anything next year.  :flirt:

Baptiste played 14 games and Bailey 32. I also noted they had the same number of NHL points. It just seems odd that we are penciling Baptiste in higher than Bailey when right now we don't know who will be better. 

ROR - Eichel - Ennis

Kane - Reinhart - Okposo

Foligno - Larsson - Baptiste/Bailey

Moulson/Zemgus - Rodriguez - Carrier/Nylander?

In my view, just because one is with Jack and the other is written two lines below with Sam, that doesn't mean one is higher on the roster depth chart. I'm just looking at possible stylistic fits. I want Carrier with ROR for the same reason, even if Kane is playing "lower in the lineup" because of it

Pegula noticed, watched him play, watched Baptiste play and fired Murray.

Seriously, they are similar level prospects. Wasn't Baptiste called up once and Bailey twice?

And as I recall, Baptiste suffered an injury which kept him out of the Sabres lineup.

Doohickie, you know we love ya, but this is like when Liger predicted that Robyn Regehr was going to become a force on the power play.

I know you don't love me, but figure a little flattery before the knife goes in might make it hurt less.

I see Ennis as useless:  He's a high speed scoring forward who's lost his speed and without it his scoring ability is gone.  I'm just saying that if I were him, I'd be trying to figure out how to make myself useful.

I could be wrong and with some off-season rest he'll come back and be the Ennis of old, but I'm not holding my breath.  I think the rest of the hockey world can see that too.  So we're stuck with him for two more years.  We could either buy him out or try to get something useful out of him.  He no longer has flat out speed but he does have maneuverability and quickness; he could dog other players.

If I'm a new coach coming in, he's not in my top 6.  So what value does he hold in a bottom six?  (Moulson, incidentally, is same type of problem).  Even if they're "kind of" top 6 players due to smarts/experience/seniority, I don't want them on my top 6 if they're dragging it down; I'd rather let the youth have an opportunity to grow.

Both Baptiste and Bailey(and Carrier) were more effective then Moulson and Ennis last year.

There is no reason to expect that to change this year.

Yes.  This.

Edited by Doohickie

I'm one of those guys who isn't a fan of designating guys as #1 or #2 etc.

I think this team's game plan should be built around its three excellent centres and it's lineup designed around chemistry, balance and the ability to give one of those centres a significant mismatch.

It's also hope we will see our new coach give at least two and hopefully more of our young wingers a prime time gig at more than nine minutes a game.

Agreed 3 balanced lines that can score is what you want. ROR, Eichel and Reinhart are your 3 centres. Larrson or Girgs on the 4th line.

Agreed 3 balanced lines that can score is what you want. ROR, Eichel and Reinhart are your 3 centres. Larrson or Girgs on the 4th line.

I agree on the first 3, but unless Larsson and Big Z can learn to win a draw, it's time to go out and get a guy who can win a defensive zone faceoff.  Brian Boyle and Jay Beagle head my list.

Any thoughts about or interest in Michael Del Zotto? Maybe a second pairing guy if we could get him on a 2-3 year deal??

Rangers got rid of him, and now the flyers probably want to as well. He was a frequent healthy scratch and a liability. He seems pretty inconsistent.

I agree on the first 3, but unless Larsson and Big Z can learn to win a draw, it's time to go out and get a guy who can win a defensive zone faceoff.  Brian Boyle and Jay Beagle head my list.

Larsson was at 49% and won 223 and lost 233 draws. Not like he is terrible or something and not a good reason to go get Jay Beagle. 

I need an experienced 4th line, a dynamite top line with almost godlike powers, a 2nd line that is always a threat whenever they get in the offensive zone...    A top D-pairing with range and aggression and cockiness. A 2nd D that will always keep me entertained and has two very complimentary players. And a goalie who knows a thing or two about being shot at and not giving up rebounds.

Princess Leia – Darth Vader – Ben Kenobi

Biggs Darklighter – Luke Skywalker – Wedge Antilles

Jek Porkins – Garven Dreis – Dutch Vander

Owen Lars – Grand Moff Tarkin – Aunt Beru Lars

Han Solo – Chewbacca

R2-D2 – C-3PO

Dr. Evazan – Ponda Baba

Greedo

Lt. Pol Treidum

Yup. That'll do.