Is O'Reilly worth what he is being paid?

Sabre fan

With GMTM's sudden and unexpected dismissal one is made to look at his moves and try to see where he went wrong. I thought getting OReilly for next to nothing was a steal but in the end, is he worth the huge contract? Jack is the future, so where does OReilly fit? Do they explore moving him? Just thinking out loud...

do it quieter, please

I didn't like the O'Reilly trade at the time and he'll definitely be overpaid as he starts approaching 30, but he's not a problem now or for his next several seasons. Luckily they front loaded his deal big time as well so when he does start to decline it shouldn't be difficult to unload him to a team that needs a center and a contract to get above the floor. The bigger problems with respect to players who aren't worth what they earn are Moulson, Ennis, Gorges, and Bogosian.

I didn't like the O'Reilly trade at the time and he'll definitely be overpaid as he starts approaching 30, but he's not a problem now or for his next several seasons. Luckily they front loaded his deal big time as well so when he does start to decline it shouldn't be difficult to unload him to a team that needs a center and a contract to get above the floor. The bigger problems with respect to players who aren't worth what they earn are Moulson, Ennis, Gorges, and Bogosian.

time to stop overusing him

Strictly speaking, he probably doesn't deserve more than Bergeron is making. But I'd still rather have O'Reilly at $7.5M than Toews at $10.5M. Ultimately he's a Selke-caliber center, and his pay is in line with that value.

Honest question. Where did ROR end up in the Selke voting? I know he wasnt a finalist. I'm wondering if the folks around the league view him as Selke worthy as he is viewed here.

Honest question. Where did ROR end up in the Selke voting? I know he wasnt a finalist. I'm wondering if the folks around the league view him as Selke worthy as he is viewed here.

Doubt he got much, if any, play. But players on last place teams won't. All the numbers suggest he's in the same class as Toews, and within spitting distance of Kopitar and Bergeron level players. I'll try to remember to dig up that WAR model later that had him as the 5th most valuable forward in the league.

Doubt he got much, if any, play. But players on last place teams won't. All the numbers suggest he's in the same class as Toews, and within spitting distance of Kopitar and Bergeron level players. I'll try to remember to dig up that WAR model later that had him as the 5th most valuable forward in the league.

I don't doubt the stats may support you, but if the league GM's and the profession writers association don't think he rates consideration, you may be biased.

I don't doubt the stats may support you, but if the league GM's and the profession writers association don't think he rates consideration, you may be biased.

As opposed to the leagues GM's and the writers being biased because he played on a s#!t team... right. 

As opposed to the leagues GM's and the writers being biased because he played on a s#!t team... right. 

Players on teams get votes all the time.  Not enough to win, but they get consideration.

He was 6th in Selke voting the year he won the Lady Byng. 12th 2 years ago, 33rd last year. We'll see where he ends up this year. 

6th is respectable.

and ROR got 0 votes from anyone? Who else on bad teams got votes this year?

We don't know how many votes anyone got this year, so I'm not sure where you are going with this.  It appears that he's gotten consideration while tanking with us, so there's that.

We don't know how many votes anyone got this year, so I'm not sure where you are going with this.  It appears that he's gotten consideration while tanking with us, so there's that.

You really can't follow? You said "but if the league GM's and the profession writers association don't think he rates consideration, you may be biased" towards Blue. I said that being on a bad team makes the those same GM's and writers bias. You responded "Players on ###### teams get votes all the time.  Not enough to win, but they get consideration." To which I asked if ROR or other players on a garbage team received votes. Where I am going with this? I am not surprised that a player on a bad team didn't get much consideration from the media and GM's for an award because they would naturally be biased towards the team because it was bad. 

Edited by LGR4GM

You really can't follow? You said "but if the league GM's and the profession writers association don't think he rates consideration, you may be biased" towards Blue. I said that being on a bad team makes the those same GM's and writers bias. You responded "Players on ###### teams get votes all the time.  Not enough to win, but they get consideration." To which I asked if ROR or other players on a garbage team received votes. Where I am going with this? I am not surprised that a player on a bad team didn't get much consideration from the media and GM's for an award because they would naturally be biased towards the team because it was bad. 

The moment someone posted that he was 6th in the voting my question about how he was viewed around the league was answered, and also should have given you an answer to how many players on garbage teams got votes before you even posted it.  So yeah, I was not getting where you were going.

The moment someone posted that he was 6th in the voting my question about how he was viewed around the league was answered, and also should have given you an answer to how many players on garbage teams got votes before you even posted it.  So yeah, I was not getting where you were going.

I specifically meant this year. Where was he ranked this season in the voting?

I specifically meant this year. Where was he ranked this season in the voting?

Not released yet.  Won't be released until after the awards are announced I'd imagine.

Last season he was ranked 33rd and got 1 4th and 2 5th place votes.  Ahead of him in the voting were Couturier, Jordan Staal (CAR), Neilsen, Henrique, and Wheeler.  So guys on bottom 1/3 teams do get votes.

My gut tells me that O'Reilly isn't seen around the league as an elite defensive forward.  He's been ranked 33, 12, 6, and 33 again.

Nope, I should have just listed the years and rankings. Hang on

I found it on Hockey-reference.

Not released yet.  Won't be released until after the awards are announced I'd imagine.

Last season he was ranked 33rd and got 1 4th and 2 5th place votes.  Ahead of him in the voting were Couturier, Jordan Staal (CAR), Neilsen, Henrique, and Wheeler.  So guys on bottom 1/3 teams do get votes.

My gut tells me that O'Reilly isn't seen around the league as an elite defensive forward.  He's been ranked 33, 12, 6, and 33 again.

I found it on Hockey-reference.

We should take into consideration that HE gets a lot of consideration when ever there is a team Canada being picked. He was added to the World Cup team, correct? Guys like Couturier, Staal, Henrique, these guys don't get mentioned in that conversation around here. Team Canada is always a rather high form of recognition of a player's value.

We should take into consideration that HE gets a lot of consideration when ever there is a team Canada being picked. He was added to the World Cup team, correct? Guys like Couturier, Staal, Henrique, these guys don't get mentioned in that conversation around here. Team Canada is always a rather high form of recognition of a player's value.

This is valid.

If we are talking about the Team Canada team picked now, several of the players that were voted ahead of him in Selke balloting last year are also on that team.

Edited by We've

He is worth what he is getting paid most of the time, but he certainly isn't a bargain, so the question is valid.

On second thought, I think the question is VERY valid to ask.  As far as scoring goes, he is not getting paid for just his salary (he would be making a couple million less if it were just on his production).  Superior defensive play is what gets him his salary.....but when I actually WATCH him play, I don't see a Selke winner there, he has made a lot of mistakes this year...and more than a couple times I have seen a goal scored against the sabres where he wasn't exactly busting his butt to backcheck.  That MAY be a product of his overuse/ice time though.   Bottom line for me, I HEAR from others how good he is in the D-Zone, but I don't see it myself.

This is valid.

If we are talking about the Team Canada team picked now, several of the players that were voted ahead of him in Selke balloting last year are also on that team.

And for this 'who on this side of the pond gives a rat's bippy tourney' a couple years back Tyler Ennis was one of Canada's best forwards. World championship selection to Team Canada isn't a huge deal. Even being an injury substitute on their World Cup team IS a big deal

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.