Is O'Reilly worth what he is being paid?

Sabre fan

He's having an off year by his standards pointwise but he's also the only dependable faceoff Center we have. He's also been carrying Okposo so far this year but Kyle does appear to be coming around lately so maybe part of his issues was concussion related.

IMO we should start a gofundme so Flagg can drop out of school, never work, and just make awesome hockey posts.

Hells yeah.

They really are good. And they've been getting better and better (and better).

And I say that without blowing too much smoke at RF. For example in this instance, I found Scotty's post about what to do with ROR to be interesting as well. 

I'd like to believe this is true. My concern remains that he's too slow to keep up with the game as it's now being played

With all due respect your honour, he was fast enough to play with and against the best players in the world as recently as last year on Team Canada, on Both NHL and IIHF ice surfaces.

He’s not fast, but he can certainly keep up.

With all due respect your honour, he was fast enough to play with and against the best players in the world as recently as last year on Team Canada, on Both NHL and IIHF ice surfaces.

They put him with Duchene at the World Championships, right? One of the best skaters out there. 

His speed is definitely an issue when his wingers are Okposo and Pouliot. If we can get a faster roster it likely wouldn't be as big of a deal, right?

Edit: I have liked the ROR-KO duo a lot better since Kane started playing on their left, one of the best two skaters on the team.

Edited by Randall Flagg

That sounds biased and untrustworthy. Is everyone measuring the metrics the same way. Shots seems pretty straight forward but when you start getting into quality of shots, possession, etc. I could see a huge difference from one statistician to the next.

It cuts both ways. Skewed internal analytics would be a detriment to a team's scouting department.

I appreciate that sort of feedback.

They put him with Duchene at the World Championships, right? One of the best skaters out there. 

His speed is definitely an issue when his wingers are Okposo and Pouliot. If we can get a faster roster it likely wouldn't be as big of a deal, right?

Pouliot is a pretty good skater, but I think the lack of overall team speed definitely magnifies the issues of guys like O’Reilly, Okposo and Larson.

Pouliot is a pretty good skater, but I think the lack of overall team speed definitely magnifies the issues of guys like O’Reilly, Okposo and Larson.

Agreed. And I'm sorry dude, but I'm broken-recording Reinhart into this list as well. The issue then becomes how many of these guys you can afford to keep without tanking our team speed, and which players.

Agreed. And I'm sorry dude, but I'm broken-recording Reinhart into this list as well. The issue then becomes how many of these guys you can afford to keep without tanking our team speed, and which players.

My completely off the cuff assessment is you can have one average skater per line and be completely fine. Having 2+ is going to cause problems with some matchups though.

Know, your write. :P

(seriously, agree wholeheartedly, one reason why I like Sam with Domi and Duclair)

Edited by Mick O’Manly

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.