Tim Murray and Dan Byslma Have Been Fired

Mustache of God

TSN's Darren Dreger joins Howard and Sal next on WGR for his look at what lies ahead for the #Sabres after the firing of Murray and Bylsma

Dreger "There was a considerable lack of communication between management and ownership, my sense is, that the Pegula's did not have a clear view of what was going on with the Sabres." 

It was interesting but near the end it began to feel like a Candian guy protecting a fellow Canadian hockey guy from being scrutinized too hard.

It's simply not accurate.  He may not be doing what you like, but he's not failing.  If the teams are making money, the seats are full, then he's doing his job.  

If the fans truly cared about the teams performance then why do fans keep signing up to see these teams play?  If the fans were holding the team (and through it, it's leadership) accountable then they should be staying home and not watching the product.  The fans themselves accept mediocrity, or worse.  This isn't a surprise as this is a prevailing attitude in society, not just sports.

If you want to call a distinction, perhaps you say that the people who keep showing up each game are not really fans.  They are just consumers of the product.  They don't care enough about the team because it's the social experience they want.  There are a large number of people who want to just tailgate and get drunk each Sunday and the ticket to the game is the price of admission for them.  It's how they reset their work week.  The Sabres are STILL capping season ticket sales.  Who's buying those tickets?  Do we call them fans or consumers?

I don't know.  I'll accept that people who are willing to post on a forum are a bit more fanatical than others but I don't buy for a moment that PSE is not successful right now.  The fans want the team to win, they expect to have a winning product, but they don't care enough to take the actions that would force PSE to actually follow through on that.

There's a difference between being successful and winning.  Yes, I saw the comment that by winning they could earn more money and because they aren't winning they are failing.  Not winning does not immediately equate to failing.  They are winning, just not as much as they could be.  They probably want to win more too but HOW they want to go about it might not align with HOW they want to run their business, at least right now.

Sports has the most objective measuring stick of success, win or lose, it's that simple.

If you win, you are successful.  If you lose, you are not.

Showing a profit is an alternative measuring stick that I (and most fans) have no interest in and I'd go as far as saying most owners view profit as secondary motivation.

As for PSE, If you think for a minute that the Pegulas care whether they make money or not on these franchises you are crazy.  Of all owners, they have acted without regard for profit as the main motivator in their decisions.

So, I give them credit for that, but, blame for not succeeding on their (and our) primary measurement, winning

It's that simple

Friedman suggested that the Eichel fiasco was a leak by someone in the organization to get leverage, and that as soon as that happened, everyone was fired. 

Seems the most plausible thing. 

Dreger on Lombardi as a hockey president "Dean Lombardi ticks a lot of boxes... if that is the case that opens a lot of doors for GM's." "Brad Teviling is an excellent NHL manager, if that negotiation doesn't go well."

Hearing former Kings GM Dean Lombardi interviewed in Buffalo yesterday. More candidates scheduled for this week/weekend.

How thorough was the bloodletting?

Murphy, Royce are confirmed?

What about the assistant coaches? Assistant GMs?

Did Terry find the hockey department snorting blow off hooker's butt cheeks?

Would have been nice if the reporters had asked at the new conference. 

No. Let's re-litigate the tank instead.

We gutted the team to rebuild, it resulted in a lot of losing, we didn't try to stop that until after we drafted at the top. Everyone knows, and nobody cares. I was so annoyed by that reporter as well because I didn't care. 

We gutted the team to rebuild, it resulted in a lot of losing, we didn't try to stop that until after we drafted at the top. Everyone knows, and nobody cares. I was so annoyed by that reporter as well because I didn't care. 

Don't forget Benigni's (who I generally like, as far as local media types go) glorious "I know we're not here to talk about the Bills...but for a moment, allow me to ask about the Bills" question.

Don't forget Benigni's (who I generally like, as far as local media types go) glorious "I know we're not here to talk about the Bills...but for a moment, allow me to ask about the Bills" question.

I expect to see him at lunchtime today--we usually eat at the same place on Friday--I can't wait to rib him about that.

It was interesting but near the end it began to feel like a Candian guy protecting a fellow Canadian hockey guy from being scrutinized too hard.

It's simply not accurate.  He may not be doing what you like, but he's not failing.  If the teams are making money, the seats are full, then he's doing his job.  

If the fans truly cared about the teams performance then why do fans keep signing up to see these teams play?  If the fans were holding the team (and through it, it's leadership) accountable then they should be staying home and not watching the product.  The fans themselves accept mediocrity, or worse.  This isn't a surprise as this is a prevailing attitude in society, not just sports.

If you want to call a distinction, perhaps you say that the people who keep showing up each game are not really fans.  They are just consumers of the product.  They don't care enough about the team because it's the social experience they want.  There are a large number of people who want to just tailgate and get drunk each Sunday and the ticket to the game is the price of admission for them.  It's how they reset their work week.  The Sabres are STILL capping season ticket sales.  Who's buying those tickets?  Do we call them fans or consumers?

I don't know.  I'll accept that people who are willing to post on a forum are a bit more fanatical than others but I don't buy for a moment that PSE is not successful right now.  The fans want the team to win, they expect to have a winning product, but they don't care enough to take the actions that would force PSE to actually follow through on that.

There's a difference between being successful and winning.  Yes, I saw the comment that by winning they could earn more money and because they aren't winning they are failing.  Not winning does not immediately equate to failing.  They are winning, just not as much as they could be.  They probably want to win more too but HOW they want to go about it might not align with HOW they want to run their business, at least right now.

Because it's not a one shot game--there are long term consequences associated with any decision to stop financial support. It would be one thing if we were Florida, where 10,000 people (at best) show up every game--season ticket holds could get fed up, say F it, drop tickets...and easily get them back when the team improves. That can't happen here. If you're a season ticket holder and you dump them in an act of protest, you may quite literally not get them back for a decade, at which point the reason for your initial protest is well behind in the rearview mirror. People keep tickets to ensure they have them when the team is good and in the playoffs, not because they support a mediocre (or worse) product.

After the presser, I think the occam's razor explanation is essentially this:

-The on-ice results were bad

-The off-ice environment was a show

-Pegula holds Bylsma and Murray jointly accountable for these things

I think it's that simple. The details are sure fun to speculate about and discuss, but at the end of the day, I think this is what happened.

-The off-ice environment was a ###### show

I think it's that simple. The details are sure fun to speculate about and discuss, but at the end of the day, I think this is what happened.

This sounds right.

Yup.

Indeed.

This sounds right.

Yup.

Indeed.

Well if 76,000 combined posts agree then it must be a pretty good take :nana:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.