Sean Malone signed to ELC

darksabre

We need some of these late-rounds guys to emerge.

When was our last guy to hit way above his draft pedigree?

Ryan Miller?

Guess Roy and Pominville were better than we should have expected.

But again, it's been a dozen years.

Ryan Miller?

Wow, I just went through the list.  Gaustad 7th, Foligno 4th, and Kaleta 6th are the only three later-round picks to make significant contributions to the team since 2000.

I also learned that the Sabres drafted Dennis Wideman in 2002 but never signed him.  Oops.

Edited by Eleven

Wow, I just went through the list.  Gaustad 7th, Foligno 4th, and Kaleta 6th are the only three later-round picks to make significant contributions to the team since 2000.

I also learned that the Sabres drafted Dennis Wideman in 2002 but never signed him.  Oops.

I'd suggest that would be indicative of how successful the video scouting experiment was.

Ryan Miller?

It's early but it appears GMTM had an ability to find late round (after round 2 in my book). Pu, Malone, Florentino, Peterson, Hagel, Baptiste, Possler. A couple of them should hit.

Ugh I had forgotten about that.

Especially when you throw into the mix that at least 2 of those 3 (Foligno & Kaleta) would've been naturally on the Sabres radar due to their Buffalo ties, the experiment would appear to be a resounding failure.

Edited by Taro T

Especially when you throw into the mix that at least 2 of those 3 (Foligno & Kaleta) would've been naturally on the Sabres radar due to their Buffalo ties, the experiment would appear to be a resounding failure.

You are forgetting that it produced Ryan Vinz. (Edit: he was a pro video scout.)

Edited by PASabreFan

It WAS a resounding failure.

Why do we need any scouts at all, anymore? Can't we get all the information we need by looking at players' advanced stats?

:devil:

Yowza. We might have been separated at birth. I don't see how any of the analytics crowd can have a beef with video scouting. The "gut" that old-timey coaches and scouts rely on have no place in their game.

I'd suggest that would be indicative of how successful the video scouting experiment was.

Except that arrived with the Golisano regime circa 2004.

Yowza. We might have been separated at birth. I don't see how any of the analytics crowd can have a beef with video scouting. The "gut" that old-timey coaches and scouts rely on have no place in their game.

Except that arrived with the Golisano regime circa 2004.

So, since video scouting was implemented, there was exactly TWO examples of success (Foligno & Byron) - and one was already very well known to the team due to his being born in Buffalo to a former Sabre captain.

Kaleta was drafted in '04, just before the gutting of the scouting department.

There were only 2 guys to make the NHL in the last 2 full on "video scouting" drafts - Armia & Pysyk. Both 1st rounders & neither worth writing home about.

The problem w/ video scouting wasn't that it could be a useful tool for a full scouting staff to use. It was that it was used to gut the scouting staff & was used in place of the staff. Rather than "having boots on the ground" talking w/ kids, their coaches, opposing coaches, seeing how the kid plays when he wasn't the focus of a camera; they had what could be seen on camera directing who they should "get a better look at" in person.

It was absolutely a resounding failure.

Also, didn't we get Risto as a result of at least some video scouting?

Ristolainen was drafted after the Golisano era had ended. The video scouting was no longer by necessity an austerity measure.

Again, video scouting can be a useful tool for a full scouting department. It shouldn't BE the scouting department.

I like analytics and think in-person scouting is essential and laugh at straw man arguments too

No problem with a scout who wants to draft a player with a worse Corsi Over Under While Going Commando Percentage number than another player because the scout likes what he saw in the kid's eyes?

Ristolainen was drafted after the Golisano era had ended. The video scouting was no longer by necessity an austerity measure.

Again, video scouting can be a useful tool for a full scouting department. It shouldn't BE the scouting department.

I remember how high Darcy was on video scouting and wonder if Golisano coming along was just the opportunity he had been waiting for. I also wonder if dropping video scouting was Darcy's idea or Terry's.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.