Sean Malone signed to ELC

darksabre

No problem with a scout who wants to draft a player with a worse Corsi Over Under While Going Commando Percentage number than another player because the scout likes what he saw in the kid's eyes?

I remember how high Darcy was on video scouting and wonder if Golisano coming along was just the opportunity he had been waiting for. I also wonder if dropping video scouting was Darcy's idea or Terry's.

"It's something we probably should have started earlier, but because of the resistance to change it's something I never pushed as hard as I probably should have," Regier said of the video-based scouting system.

"The thing that's changed is we have a number of younger guys in the office that are both technically competent and curious and innovative and like the idea of trying to do things this way. We've also had some older guys that have embraced it, but there's no question change brings a certain amount of resistance or belief it's not necessarily the right way. But it's something we believe in and believe very strongly in."

http://www.hockeyforum.com/nhl-forum/1409-sabres-review-scouting-go-video.html

One thing that article points out is that pro scouting adopted the same approach and had some successes, according to Darcy. So the pro side has to be considered as well as the amateur side.

No problem with a scout who wants to draft a player with a worse Corsi Over Under While Going Commando Percentage number than another player because the scout likes what he saw in the kid's eyes?

I remember how high Darcy was on video scouting and wonder if Golisano coming along was just the opportunity he had been waiting for. I also wonder if dropping video scouting was Darcy's idea or Terry's.

Video scouting makes sense if it's usage is in looking at players that would not normally be on a scouting staff's radar or better - letting more scouts put input in on the "unknown" guys that a particular scout is high on. IF Regier was the driving force behind it, one would hope he was viewing it as a tool rather than a replacement.

Obviously, it is too soon to state whether Murray's picks will end up panning out but in general it SEEMS he is doing better at finding late round guys than the Sabres (& league in general?) were/ are doing. At a minimum, it seems we haven't written off as many as would have been written off at this point. Whether that is due to him & his staff's prowess, their prowess + using video scouting, the complete barrenness of both Buffalo's & Ra-cha-cha's rosters due to the tank, optical illusion, or a combination remains to be seen. My guess is it's predominantly due to the 2nd w/ a fair amount of the 3rd as well.

& slightly OT (from our discussion, COMPLETELY OT for this thread ;))I still am hoping to see Murray trade some of these prospects that we seem to be high on for guys that are a coupke years older & are actually ready to step into the NHL.

The info you added to your post makes it appear that Regier hadn't planned on having video scouting gut the scouting department. So, it was kind of a "be careful what you wish for" or maybe more accurately "be careful who you ask for what you wish for." ;)

It's early but it appears GMTM had an ability to find late round (after round 2 in my book). Pu, Malone, Florentino, Peterson, Hagel, Baptiste, Possler. A couple of them should hit.

Pu and Hagel are the only guys above that GMTM drafted.   :mellow:

The 2013 draft is what's giving us hope, and a little bit of 2012 (Girgensons, McCabe, and maybe Austin?).  2014 seems like a flop, but the last 2 are hopefully going to help.

Edited by Robviously

Pu and Hagel are the only guys above that GMTM drafted.   :mellow:

The 2013 draft is what's giving us hope, and a little bit of 2012 (Girgensons, McCabe, and maybe Austin?).  2014 seems like a flop, but the last 2 are hopefully going to help.

Yep! The guys he should have mentioned are Fitzgerald, Estephan, Bergen and emerging D Stephens. Glotov also did well in his first NA season with 50 pts.

Good. Now get Peterson done and keep an eye on the Butcher situation with the Avs given they've apparently indicated they aren't going to sign him. 

Can you imagine the furor if the Sabres drafted a kid from say Canisius who then won the Hobey Baker and played a position of need but then the Sabres DIDN'T sign him?  My God.

Why wouldn't COL sign Butcher?   He's a stud IMO.   

Found this... 

"A year ago, when Butcher was an alternate captain for DU at the Frozen Four in Tampa, Fla., the Avs had a team executive inform Butcher’s family adviser (agent) that the player would not be signed by the club. The message was believed to have originated with Patrick Roy, the former Avs coach and front-office executive who was not interested in using a contract for a 5-foot-10, 180-pound defenseman."

...so I'd expect him to sign with COL, but the longer this drags out, the more likely it becomes a Veseyian type of ordeal since he'd become a UFA Aug 15th if he doesn't sign by then.    He'd be a top 4 guy right off the bat IMO.    

Again, BUF has 2 second round and 2 third round picks, would you part with one to acquire his rights?

Edited by pi2000

Found this... 

"A year ago, when Butcher was an alternate captain for DU at the Frozen Four in Tampa, Fla., the Avs had a team executive inform Butcher’s family adviser (agent) that the player would not be signed by the club. The message was believed to have originated with Patrick Roy, the former Avs coach and front-office executive who was not interested in using a contract for a 5-foot-10, 180-pound defenseman."

...so I'd expect him to sign with COL, but the longer this drags out, the more likely it becomes a Veseyian type of ordeal since he'd become a UFA Aug 15th if he doesn't sign by then.    He'd be a top 4 guy right off the bat IMO.    

Again, BUF has 2 second round and 2 third round picks, would you part with one to acquire his rights?

I wouldn't be interested in trading for his rights but I'd be happy if we signed him once he reached free agency.

Found this... 

Yup I would trade a second for him... if he seemed willing to sign with us. I felt Vesey had decided he wanted to go to UFA and nothing we could do would stop it

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.