What's our boldest move?

PASabreFan

This is a takeoff on the more conservative, "tweak" approach dudacek seems to propose in his "What's our best move?" poll. Add a defenseman, drop a disappointing coach.

I'd like to think bigger, bolder, brasher. This franchise needs a jolt, a shock, an ice-bucket challenge. But what?

I'd make a poll, but I don't think I have that many ideas.

A hockey czar would be one approach. Almost by definition, that would entail cleaning front-office house and shaking up the roster and maybe taking a step back, if that's even possible.

Trading an untradeable would be another. The return on an Eichel would have to be real and spectacular.

Finally, there's an approach that would seem to fly in the face of my anti-meddling philosophy: if Pegulas are gonna Pegul, then change up the Pegulas. If Kim and Terry want to focus like a laser beam on the Bills, they should give Terry's oldest children operational control of the Sabres.

Like that infamous orangutan said, "What the hell do you have to lose?!"

Snark is invited, but I'm really interested in outside the box ideas that could radically change the path we're on, which appears to be a path toward a first-round exit in 2019 (followed by a parade, of course).

Edited by PASabreFan

This is a takeoff on the more conservative, "tweak" approach dudacek seems to propose in his "What's our best move?" poll. Add a defenseman, drop a disappointing coach.

I'd like to think bigger, bolder, brasher. This franchise needs a jolt, a shock, an ice-bucket challenge. But what?

A hockey czar would be one approach. Almost by definition, that would entail cleaning front-office house and shaking up the roster and maybe taking a step back, if that's even possible.

Trading an untradeable would be another. The return on an Eichel would have to be real and spectacular.

Finally, there's an approach that would seem to fly in the face of my anti-meddling philosophy: if Pegulas are gonna Pegul, then change up the Pegulas. If Kim and Terry want to focus like a laser beam on the Bills, they should give Terry's oldest children operational control of the Sabres.

Snark is invited, but I'm really interested in outside the box ideas that could radically change the path we're on, which appears to be a path toward a first-round exit in 2019 (followed by a parade, of course).

Eichel for Nolan Patrick, a #1 D and next years first.

remain patient.

this team is closer than we think.   replace a few aging vets with bad contracts, add a few pieces on D, and it likely results in a playoff birth.

the wrong thing to do at this point would be a major overhaul... you don't do that mid-rebuild.

This Church of Moulson kool aid drinker has the right idea.

I agree that we are closer than some may think.

The difference between stinky and very good in the NHL is not great.

If Murray addresses the weakness in the D in the off-season I think we have a reasonable good chance to be a playoff cusp (hi PA) team next season.

A major move would be counter productive at this point, IMHO.  Sorry, PA.

There are a million ill-advised panic moves they could make.

The prudent thing for TP/KP to do is to understand that they hired someone to do a total rebuild, that a total rebuild takes time, and that there are going to be a few hiccups along the way.

They need to let GMTM build it his way and to hold him accountable for the results -- but not until enough time has passed.  Two NHL seasons following the intentional icing of one of the worst teams in NHL history for a 2-year period is not remotely close enough to being enough time.

Heard an announcer the other day in game between chi and leaves that the hawks didnt start winning till they learned how to play D. The hawks right now have some puck moving D and Panarin is thereal deal.

Yep.  

IMO, the defensive lapses are due mostly to the forwards not executing their defensive responsibilities.   The lack of resistance through the neutral zone often leaves our defensemen defending odd man situations deep in our zone... which can make any NHL caliber defenseman look foolish at times.

:doh:

There are a million ill-advised panic moves they could make.

The prudent thing for TP/KP to do is to understand that they hired someone to do a total rebuild, that a total rebuild takes time, and that there are going to be a few hiccups along the way.

They need to let GMTM build it his way and to hold him accountable for the results -- but not until enough time has passed. Two NHL seasons following the intentional icing of one of the worst teams in NHL history for a 2-year period is not remotely close enough to being enough time.

This is what I think too.

But in the spirit of original post:

Move Jack to D. It would use our biggest strength to address our biggest weakness.

Sure he might struggle initially with the defensive coverage, but you know he'd be Bobby Orr back there offensively pretty much immediately. He's strong on the boards and would be even better than Risto at skating or passing the puck out of the zone.

Who would be a better puck-moving defenceman? Karlsson maybe? Who has a bettter cannon from the point?

Can he really be worse than Bogosian at defending?

Sam can develop into a Bergeron/Toews level first line centre as he gets to shine in his rightful position feeding Kane.

And everybody knows it is far easier to acquire a winger to do what Sam does now than it is to get a defenceman to do what we'd be asking Jack to do.

We've been playing Sam out of position pretty much all year.

Why not give it a try with Jack?

Edited by dudacek

Move Jack to D. It would use our biggest strength to address our biggest weakness.

Sure he might struggle initially with the defensive coverage, but you know he'd be Bobby Orr back there offensively pretty much immediately. He's strong on the boards and would be even better than Risto at skating or passing the puck out of the zone.

Who would be a better puck-moving defenceman? Karlsson maybe? Who has a bettter cannon from the point?

Sam can develop into a Bergeron/Toews level first line centre as he gets to shine in his rightful position feeding Kane.

And everybody knows it is far easier to acquire a winger to do what Sam does now than it is to get a defenceman to do what we'd be asking Jack to do.

It's interesting, I'll give you that.

Very nice.

OK. 

Here goes ...

Move Samson to goal (I think he is taller than Jack, but if Jack is taller put him in net) ... the other can play wing to replace Kane.

Put Lehner and his mean streak on D ... he'll be the second coming of Korab, or Schoney, maybe Playfair.

Now we need a centre, or 2, so put Kane there and try one of the call ups today at centre too, why not.

This is ridiculous. ROR would be a Norris-calibre D, not Jack.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.