GDT:Nashville at Buffalo 2/28/16 7 pm MSG, WGR

Brawndo

There isn't a player or coach or equipment manager or anyone who sets out at the start of a game with the idea that they want to lose.  Anyone who has the mentality is never going to make it to the NHL and be part of a professional team.

Even when the talent level was reduced to poise for the rebuild no one was out there actively trying to lose.

This concept that losing somehow imbues an acceptance of losing and creates a loser atmosphere just doesn't fly.  This is the time when the players who mean the most need to step up the most.  If you watch a game and you see one of your "core" players dogging it then you should be questioning that players work ethic and whether you should have faith in them.  Those players who only try when the team is winning are not the players who will lead you to victory.  They are followers.

The players usually have a good idea of the probability of them winning any particular game but I am certain they all believe in the possibility of them winning the game.

I still want this team to win, every night.  I don't care if it means Bylsma is still here because if they are winning who would care?  If they lose, then I trust that someone in the organization will begin taking a look at why and make the appropriate changes.  If not, then I can question whether I invest my time in a team.

Go Sabres.  Play the game that is outlined and let the chips fall where they may.  If the team decides to battle the coach or each other then it creates dysfunction and that makes it harder to identify where a real problem lies.

Or he played last game and Lehner is still dinged

Could very well be the case, but this would be Ullmark's first start this year, and it's not coming off back to backs for Nilsson. He's a UFA and been rumored, so with the deadline tomorrow I gotta believe this means some team is interested and we don't want him hurt 

Could very well be the case, but this would be Ullmark's first start this year, and it's not coming off back to backs for Nilsson. He's a UFA and been rumored, so with the deadline tomorrow I gotta believe this means some team is interested and we don't want him hurt

Here's hoping

Lol @ the morning skate lines. I'm assuming he changes them for the game.

Did I not say Dan would be pissed at the lack of dumping and chasing from the last game?

The only line to stay intact is the only one that dumped.

It's also the one that was the least effective, but hey, Dan's too smart to fall for that.

Edited by dudacek

Did I not say Dan would be pissed at the lack of dumping and chasing from the last game?

The only line to stay intact is the only one that dumped.

It's also the one that was the least effective, but hey, Dan's too smart to fall for that.

I have a few things to say about the lineup but i'm going to wait and see if those are the lines we actually use before saying them

Game tonight.

Nashville is a good team.

Buffalo not so much.

Which Sabres will be wearing the Blue and Gold for the last time tonight?

I'm going to say none of them.   The top 6 are not going anywhere.   The bottom 6 are untradeable.     Same can be said for the defense.  

IMO all trade worthy assests have already been moved so they're stuck with 40% of their cap tied up in 6 untradeable contracts.    

Maybe it's punitive - not putting Sam at centre. For not sufficiently playing the system (?).

That's the only reason I could understand putting him on 3rd line wing.

I don't think it is. I think he's obsessed with sticking to his ways and his own beliefs, and one of them is that Sam is not a center. 

Please put Sam at center on the third line. 

I will watch the game with great intensity with the hope of a brighter future.

+1 

For balance of season, I want centers to beEichel-ROR-Reinhart-Girgensons

Swap wingers around if you want, but would like to see DB stop around with Reinhart

I think a lot of it has to do with being married to a rigid "top-6" approach.

Top six?

You mean Dan's top three pairs, then switching the 2nd winger around as he see's fit or by circumstance?

The top three pairs are pretty close in ice time. So, I would have no problems with that approach as Sam as the 3rd pair center.

Edited by Woods-Racer

Top six?

You mean Dan's top three pairs, then switching the 2nd winger around as he see's fit or by circumstance?

The top three pairs are pretty close in ice time, so I would have no problems with approach as Sam as the 3rd pair center.

I think Bylsma firmly believes that his six most skilled forwards should be crammed into two lines. Hence, Reinhart will never get to play center for an extended period with a healthy roster.

I think Bylsma firmly believes that his six most skilled forwards should be crammed into two lines. Hence, Reinhart will never get to play center for an extended period with a healthy roster.

Sadly, I believe this to be true. 

He did it when Kane was *in the dog house*.

Sam must have done something then to be a third line winger.

Edited by Woods-Racer

You just know that Kulikov is going to re-injure his butt tonight.

What were the combos?

Well, the worst-performing line was kept together, and the rest were jumbled:
Bailey-ROR-KO

Kane-Eichel-Gionta

Foligno-ERod-Reinhart

Ennis-Girgensons-Moulson

So Girgensons gets punished for playing his best hockey of the season, Reinhart gets bumped after a couple poor games to make room for Gionta, who has given us 2 points in his last 13 games, and has thus earned the chance to play next to Jack. An experiment which has worked incredibly well, the two have combined for zero even strength goals together in nearly 60 minutes played at ES. For example, a terrible pairing that we'd never want to try, Jack and Bailey, only has 3 goals together in less than 20 ES minutes. Oh, and did I mention Sam Reinhart will never get to develop as a center?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.