Keep or Trade Evander Kane

WildCard

Keep or Trade   

132 members have voted

1. 1. Answer it

• Keep
    • Trade

Duh.  Reverse psychology:

"He's a good player, but he's a head case."  He doesn't want his value higher, he wants it lower, so he can fit him in under the cap and have room for Jack & Sam.

BOOM!!!

Jack likes playing with Kane, he's not going anywhere.

Does it seem lately that Kane has been better handling and passing the puck?  It looks that way to me.

It absolutely does.

Watch his goal. After the turnover, the old Kane would have just charged after the puck.

Instead he sees ROR, reads off him, and slides back into the perfect pocket for a one-timer.

A light bulb has gone on that he can have more personal success if he trusts his teammates.

If that's on the coaching staff, then well done.

It absolutely does.

Watch his goal. After the turnover, the old Kane would have just charged after the puck.

Instead he sees ROR, reads off him, and slides back into the perfect pocket for a one-timer.

A light bulb has gone on that he can have more personal success if he trusts his teammates.

If that's on the coaching staff, then well done.

It is also on him having teammates/linemates at his skill level.

Duh.  Reverse psychology:

"He's a good player, but he's a head case."  He doesn't want his value higher, he wants it lower, so he can fit him in under the cap and have room for Jack & Sam.

Yes, a strategy to use, but a comment like that could also make a guy want to jump ship.  Even if the Sabres offered a little more than what Kane's value may be. 

I found the following Kane items from GMTM's public statements this week quite interesting:

1.  In his post-deadline presser, GMTM, when asked about Kane, used the phrases "on the ice" or "off the ice" at least 4 times.

2.  In his interview the following day with Bulldog, GMTM threw out 8 years x $7MM per year as a Kane contract proposal that, for GMTM, would be NFW.

3.  In the post-deadline presser, GMTM intimated that a summer deal with Kane was unlikely, and made it sound like it would be after the start of next season at the earliest.  But in the interview the following day with Bulldog, he backpedaled and said it was possible next summer once deals with Eichel and Reino were done.

I think I read those statements to mean:

- GMTM thinks there is still a real possibility that Kane will be unable or unwilling to walk the straight and narrow, and isn't interested in giving him a big contract on July 1 and then praying every morning next summer that the phone doesn't ring with news about Kane getting arrested.

- GMTM isn't sure there will be cap space available to keep Kane.

- GMTM isn't going to publicly commit at this point to a "we're keeping Kane no matter what" position.

...which leads me to:

- there is a greater than 50/50 chance that Kane is traded on or before the deadline next year.

For me its very simple.  If you can resign him to a long term extension for what he is worth (I'm not saying low-ball him, but pay him honestly what other players his age and ability are), then keep him.

If you can't sign him though, or if he wants to 'set the market' by asking to be the highest paid player of his ability...then I'd hope he gets traded in the offseason.

I want to keep him and I DON'T need a bargain...I just CAN'T have him overpaid.

I found the following Kane items from GMTM's public statements this week quite interesting:

1.  In his post-deadline presser, GMTM, when asked about Kane, used the phrases "on the ice" or "off the ice" at least 4 times.

2.  In his interview the following day with Bulldog, GMTM threw out 8 years x $7MM per year as a Kane contract proposal that, for GMTM, would be NFW.

3.  In the post-deadline presser, GMTM intimated that a summer deal with Kane was unlikely, and made it sound like it would be after the start of next season at the earliest.  But in the interview the following day with Bulldog, he backpedaled and said it was possible next summer once deals with Eichel and Reino were done.

- GMTM thinks there is still a real possibility that Kane will be unable or unwilling to walk the straight and narrow, and isn't interested in giving him a big contract on July 1 and then praying every morning next summer that the phone doesn't ring with news about Kane getting arrested.

- GMTM isn't going to publicly commit at this point to a "we're keeping Kane no matter what" position.

...which leads me to:

- there is a greater than 50/50 chance that Kane is traded on or before the deadline next year.

Great summary, and this was basically my interpretation of it all.

For me its very simple.  If you can resign him to a long term extension for what he is worth (I'm not saying low-ball him, but pay him honestly what other players his age and ability are), then keep him.

If you can't sign him though, or if he wants to 'set the market' by asking to be the highest paid player of his ability...then I'd hope he gets traded in the offseason.

I want to keep him and I DON'T need a bargain...I just CAN'T have him overpaid.

Love this take.  Agree 100% with "CAN'T have him overpaid" but I'm also interested if there's a trade out there that moves Kane out but brings someone in to be a key part of our defense for years to come.

...which leads me to:

I think the above is reasonable and entirely possible.

I've also read that GMTM called Kane into his office last summer, told him what a rare opportunity he had in Buffalo with a generous owner, teammates who like him, and a talent like Eichel to hitch his wagon to. He also told him he was on the edge of pissing that all away. He said stay out of trouble and the world is your oyster; you can be rich, successful, happy and chasing Stanley Cups.

Or you can be a problem child bouncing around the league. Show us you can be a good teammate and a solid citizen off the ice and you will find success on and off the ice. We will reward you with a big contract and long career with a city and organization that will treat you well and give you an opportunity to succeed. We invested a helluva lot in you and we are willing to invest more.

But you have to show us you are worth it. For the entire season.

The message delivered at the press conference was delivered directly to Kane: you haven't proven yourself yet; finish the season, and carry it in to the offseason. The onus is still on you to prove this is the real you, not the third line punk half the internet seems to think you are.

Your theory might be right. But hope the one above is.

I've also read that GMTM called Kane into his office last summer, told him what a rare opportunity he had in Buffalo with a generous owner, teammates who like him, and a talent like Eichel to hitch his wagon to. He also told him he was on the edge of pissing that all away. He said stay out of trouble and the world is your oyster; you can be rich, successful, happy and chasing Stanley Cups.

Or you can be a problem child bouncing around the league. Show us you can be a good teammate and a solid citizen off the ice and you will find success on and off the ice. We will reward you with a big contract and long career with a city and organization that will treat you well and give you an opportunity to succeed. We invested a helluva lot in you and we are willing to invest more.

The message delivered at the press conference was delivered directly to Kane: you haven't proven yourself yet; finish the season, and carry it in to the offseason. The onus is still on you to prove this is the real you, not the third line punk half the internet seems to think you are.

Interesting.  I didn't see this reported anywhere.  Do you remember who wrote it?

I hope it's true.  I really like Kane's game, I like the idea of him converting feeds from Eichel and being Eichel's bodyguard for the next 5-6 years, and I like redemption stories.

The summer stuff is a compilation of asides offered in multiple interviews.

The trade deadline press conference bit was from a poster on another board who claims to have an inside source.

Like I said, no idea if there is any truth to it.

But I hope there is.

One big neg against Kane - he's got a mountain of penalty minutes already even though he's missed 12 games!   89 minutes, and 8th most PIM in the NHL!   Almost 1 1/2 full games that he's put the Sabres shorthanded - and the Sabres have the 2nd worst PK in the league.   

Interesting take. To me this would lend itself to the theory than the Sabres could reach an extension with Kane during the season next year, rather than over the summer. Kane having a good offseason may be just as important to Murray as Kane's good on ice season this year, and if Kane achieves both, and carries it into next season, we could see an extension. Can't say I disagree with this plan of action.

One big neg against Kane - he's got a mountain of penalty minutes already even though he's missed 12 games!   89 minutes, and 8th most PIM in the NHL!   Almost 1 1/2 full games that he's put the Sabres shorthanded - and the Sabres have the 2nd worst PK in the league.   

All those goals tho.

Is that with or without his fighting minutes?

Is that with or without his fighting minutes?

Kane has taken 28 minor penalties, which ranks him 7th in the league. His PIM are pumped up a little by 3 misconducts that got him 10 minutes a piece. Then he's had 1 fighting major.

So 93 minutes is high, but in reality he's left the Sabres short handed for 56 minutes. Still bad, for sure. But not quite as astounding.

Players with more minor penalties: Byfuglien, Malkin, Phaneuf, Tkachuk, Marchand, Ekblad, Zadorov (tied)

My math seems to be off by 2 when added up. I don't recall, but maybe he had a double minor high stick that accounts for the missing 2. Sortable stats aren't the easiest on mobile, especially on ESPN's lousy interface. But you get the gist.

Interesting take. To me this would lend itself to the theory than the Sabres could reach an extension with Kane during the season next year, rather than over the summer. Kane having a good offseason may be just as important to Murray as Kane's good on ice season this year, and if Kane achieves both, and carries it into next season, we could see an extension. Can't say I disagree with this plan of action.

The problem with this is his value has the potential to plummet if they can't work out a deal though. The value of wingers relative to other positions is in the toilet so the best we'd probably be looking at for Kane would be a late first and a prospect by the trade deadline next year, although we'll (hopefully) be in the thick of the playoff hunt as well so we'd probably hold onto him for the push and then possibly lose him for nothing to a team like Vegas who will have tons of cap space to throw at him.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.