Which Sabres Will Make the Centennial 100?

Eleven

(For those unaware, the NHL is unveiling a list of the 100 greatest players in its 100-year history.  33 players from the first half-century already have been identified.)

I see only one lock:  Hasek.

Two possibles, Perreault and LaFontaine. 

(For those unaware, the NHL is unveiling a list of the 100 greatest players in its 100-year history.  33 players from the first half-century already have been identified.)

These are the only three possibilities I can see as well.

Is this on NHL.com?

I want to take a look at the list.

For Sabres I see Hasek and Perreault as sure things.

LaFontaine is likely, but maybe as an Islander ... do they do this thing by the play with certain teams, or overall career?

Mogilny is a possible.

Top 100 players all time is quite a list.

Is this on NHL.com?

I want to take a look at the list.

For Sabres I see Hasek and Perreault as sure things.

LaFontaine is likely, but maybe as an Islander ... do they do this thing by the play with certain teams, or overall career?

Mogilny is a possible.

Top 100 players all time is quite a list.

Here are the first 33:  https://www.nhl.com/fans/nhl-centennial/100-greatest-nhl-players

Gilbert and Dom go for sure. I'd put Patty in, don't think he makes it though.

I wish I could say Perreault for sure...

Hasek should be a lock. Perrault maybe, but even borderline there will be borderline guys from the Habs and Leafs that'll get in before him. I never considered LaFontaine that big of a deal, I'd be surprised if he made it unless connections.

...and I agree w/ you on LaFontaine.  But he does have the connections.

Thanks for the link, 11.

Interesting that when you click on the 'by team' drop down thingie and click on Buffalo Sabres they already list Horton.

This could be interesting to come up with 'my' 67 from 1966 - to now list.

Hmm ...

1.)  Gretzky

2.)  Mario

3.)  Jagr

4.)  Messier

5.)  Hasek

Hasek , Perreault, and LaFontaine, maybe Housley (Tim Horton?)

The bigger question is which current players after Sid and Ovie?  You are essentially building 5 teams.  So 10 goalies, 30D, 60 forwards.  (players not listed in order)

G:  Hasek, Plante, Roy, Brodeur, Sawchuk, Dryden, Glenn Hall, (Lundqvist? Price?)

D: Orr, Potvin, Lidstrom, Niedermeyer, MacInnis, Coffey, Chelios, Bourque, Robinson, Harvey, Stevens, Chara, Mark Howe, Langway, Park, Horton, Leetch, Pronger, Pilote (for Blackhawk fans), Red Kelly, Salming, Pronovost, Larry Murphy, Housley? (Keith?, Weber?) 

F: Howe, Lemieux, Gretzky, Messier, Sakic, Sid, Ovie, M Richard, H Richard,  Lefleur, Bossy, Yzerman, Jagr, Stastny, Federov, Esposito, Trottier, Delvecchio, Selanne, Beliveau, Ratelle, Modano, Bobby Hull, Brett Hull, Bucyk, Mikita, LaFontaine, Lindsay, Perreault, Dionne, Shore, Morenz, Kurri

Bert and Dom are shoo ins.

I'm gonna throw a name out that hasn't been mentioned (I think).  Jet/Sabre/Flyer.  Dale Hawerchuck.  I think he gets in.

Patty should on talent, but won't based on longevity (or lack thereof) of his amazing play.

How many players are in the HHOF?  That could be your list, right?

Oops.  I see Taro covered Hawerchuck.

Edited by We've

Hasek , Perreault, and LaFontaine, maybe Housley (Tim Horton?)

The bigger question is which current players after Sid and Ovie?  You are essentially building 5 teams.  So 10 goalies, 30D, 60 forwards.  (players not listed in order)

G:  Hasek, Plante, Roy, Brodeur, Sawchuk, Dryden, Glenn Hall, (Lundqvist? Price?)

D: Orr, Potvin, Lidstrom, Niedermeyer, MacInnis, Coffey, Chelios, Bourque, Robinson, Harvey, Stevens, Chara, Mark Howe, Langway, Park, Horton, Leetch, Pronger, Pilote (for Blackhawk fans), Red Kelly, Salming, Pronovost, Larry Murphy, Housley? (Keith?, Weber?) 

F: Howe, Lemieux, Gretzky, Messier, Sakic, Sid, Ovie, M Richard, H Richard,  Lefleur, Bossy, Yzerman, Jagr, Stastny, Federov, Esposito, Trottier, Delvecchio, Selanne, Beliveau, Ratelle, Modano, Bobby Hull, Brett Hull, Bucyk, Mikita, LaFontaine, Lindsay, Perreault, Dionne, Shore, Morenz, Kurri

I like the 10/30/60 concept as a great starting point for figuring out the top 100 of all time.

Buffalo goaltenders: certainly Hasek. Maybe my boy, Fuhr, sneaks in. He was extremely important to the Edmonton dynasty.

Buffalo defensemen: Horton is already in. I think Housley also has a decent chance. Top five scoring defender of all time. Can't see any other Sabre making it.

Buffalo forwards: Perreault, Lafontaine, Hawerchuk, and Gilmour are all in the conversation. I'll throw in Mogilny and Andreychuk as dark horses, though I seriously doubt they get in.

Do this list again in 15 years, and I bet Risto and Eichel get consideration.... :thumbsup:

Sorry, 325.

Quite a list, but I stopped reading at Brad friggin' Park.

You don't think that Brad Park is considered one of the top 30 D of all time? 

The guy is a former Buffalo Bison.  That alone should be enough.

Park played 18 seasons, over 1100 games with almost 900 points.  He also scored 125 pts in 161 playoff games.  He was also tough.  Yes, I hated him to when he played with the Bruins, but seriously if you can name me 30 better D, I'll gladly omit him from the list.  

You don't think that Brad Park is considered one of the top 30 D of all time? 

The guy is a former Buffalo Bison.  That alone should be enough.

Park played 18 seasons, over 1100 games with almost 900 points.  He also scored 125 pts in 161 playoff games.  He was also tough.  Yes, I hated him to when he played with the Bruins, but seriously if you can name me 30 better D, I'll gladly omit him from the list.  

Yeah, yeah, yeah all that, but ...

I'm not sure how old you are, but I remember this horrible goal as if it were yesterday.

I like the 10/30/60 concept as a great starting point for figuring out the top 100 of all time.

Buffalo goaltenders: certainly Hasek. Maybe my boy, Fuhr, sneaks in. He was extremely important to the Edmonton dynasty.

Buffalo defensemen: Horton is already in. I think Housley also has a decent chance. Top five scoring defender of all time. Can't see any other Sabre making it.

Buffalo forwards: Perreault, Lafontaine, Hawerchuk, and Gilmour are all in the conversation. I'll throw in Mogilny and Andreychuk as dark horses, though I seriously doubt they get in.

Do this list again in 15 years, and I bet Risto and Eichel get consideration.... :thumbsup:

Yep. Gilmour may very well make the team. 2 other end of their career Sabres that MAY make the list are Clark Gillies & Rick Vaive. Gillies for being the mucker on a 4 time SC champ top line & Vaive for his days in TO. Wouln't expect either there but a case could be made. (Still expecting there to be a bias towards Loafs though probably not big enough to get Vaive in.)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.