2014 Sabres Tank Team had more wins thru end of December than this team

matter2003

Didn't they go on some sort of run in December, scaring the crap out of the pro-tankers, and then went O-fer in January?

Does anyone really think this team won't win a game in January?

I'll set the over/under at a win per week in January. What do you think?

One win per week for the first two weeks, then ROR comes back and gives them a boost to win a bunch, getting us to contending for a playoff spot by Feb.

That's super optimistic.  I'm not sure what games you've been watching.  Unless we play the Av's a bunch more.  :P

That's super optimistic.  I'm not sure what games you've been watching.  Unless we play the Av's a bunch more.   :P

Agreed! I have watched plenty of low scoring losses WITH ROR on the active roster.   While he's a fine player, I don't know that his presence alone will turn things around. 

Man, the Leafs are miles ahead of us. What the hell went wrong with the rebuild?

Hired the wrong coach. Not that Babcock was ever in a million years coming to Buffalo, but he'd represent the entirety of the difference when you look at the players and prospects both teams have.

Man, the Leafs are miles ahead of us. What the hell went wrong with the rebuild?

Not exactly a powerhouse yet - the Leafs are still 3 games behind .500.  I suppose that's a better place than the Sabres (10 games behind .500)

Remember when Babcock took over as coach of the Leafs about 1 1/2 years ago?  The common wisdom at this forum was the Leafs were YEARS behind the Sabres in rebuilding - we'd already suffered our pain, but the Leafs had suffering ahead and that we'd be playoff contenders long before the Leafs.   And of course, a coach accustomed to winning like Babcock would get frustrated with year after year after year of losing with the Leafs as they tanked for draft picks, and that the joke would be on HIM for spurning the Sabres HC advances?

Well, if this lasts, and the Leafs claw their way up to the midway point in the League with a decent record and the Sabres remain bottom feeders at the end of the season, Tim Murray needs to do some explaining. 

Edited by Jsixspd

We need to know how close close is to have an idea if it's possible.

If Boston continues their current point pace, they will have about 60 points by the beginning of February. 

If close means tying them in points, we would have to win every single game we play in January, all 13, to be close.

If close means 5 points back, we're looking at a 10-2-1 stretch. 

If close means 7 points back, we're looking at a 9-3-1 stretch. 

If Boston goes on a slump and another team takes that spot, we're looking at the same deal, just with a different team. 

The fact that we continue to pace for 118 even strength goals (the McEichel tank season had 116) and haven't shown an ability to score at even strength for any amount of time in recent memory will continue to guide us to roughly one win every two point five to three games. Just as we've seen all year. 

Oh, and we'll get to see Matthews hit Jack's rookie year goal total before he plays 45 games. 

I agree with SwampD's idea that the tank record comparison isn't quite telling the whole story at this point - again, that team just finished a 10-3-3 stretch and proceeded to lose fourteen straight in regulation. If this team does that, then its season is comparable to the tank season, but that won't happen (though I can definitely see a 4-5-4 January or something like it, as that's been about our rate this whole season)

The only thing that is remotely similar between this team and that team is the even strength offense, for some mystical reason that none of us could possibly understand or explain. 

How big is big? I can see them approaching an 80-85 point pace again like last year, but I don't predict it ever feeling close, and it's not a huge point pace improvement

The better question would be -- how meaningless was the big second half push in 2010-11, PA? It put the Sabres in the playoffs. And they should have beaten Philly. Ville Leino. Unbelievable.

The better question would be -- how meaningless was the big second half push in 2010-11, PA? It put the Sabres in the playoffs. And they should have beaten Philly. Ville Leino. Unbelievable.

How far out were we during that season?

Edit: I keep schedules, I'll look

16-18-4 on January 1st, we're 13-15-8. Two points behind where that team was. Their low points were at 3-9-2, and 14-18-4. At 14-22, they were "one game" ahead of where we are today at 13-23. So I guess it's possible. They got in with a 29-11-6 stretch. The equivalent would give us a 42-26-14 record, for 98 points.

I think this team has a better shot at 11 regulation losses in January than it does 11 for the rest of the season.

Edited by Randall Flagg

Come on. Big, meaningless second half pushes are part of this franchise's DNA.

Not quite. 2nd half pushes are part of the DNA. It's just that since Black Sunday the 1st halves have typically been so pathetic that the push didn't work. Look back to the Ruff years; except for the years Ruff coached the AS team, the 1st of which was the year he also coached in the Finals after they backed into the playoffs, they typically started slowly & ended hot.

I just realized today - the last time this team was decent, finished above .500, and made the playoffs - the season began without the Pegulas as owners.

February will mark the 6th anniversary of the Pegulas ownership - and the team has stunk every complete season of the Pegulas' ownership.

We all expected great things when Terry Pegula took over;  other than keeping the team in Buffalo,  what other positives to the Pegulas' ownership?  

Similarly, the Bills have seriously declined since the Pegulas took over;  The Pegulas purchased the Bills mid-season in 2014 - the Bills finished that season 9-7, and were arguably a quarterback away from being serious playoff contenders.   Now the team seems in disarray, and is back to Dick Jauron levels of futility (7-9 season finish).

Are the Pegulas and their style of ownership = Team Kryptonite?  

Edited by Jsixspd

We need to know how close close is to have an idea if it's possible.

If Boston continues their current point pace, they will have about 60 points by the beginning of February. 

If close means tying them in points, we would have to win every single game we play in January, all 13, to be close.

If close means 5 points back, we're looking at a 10-2-1 stretch. 

If close means 7 points back, we're looking at a 9-3-1 stretch. 

If Boston goes on a slump and another team takes that spot, we're looking at the same deal, just with a different team. 

The fact that we continue to pace for 118 even strength goals (the McEichel tank season had 116) and haven't shown an ability to score at even strength for any amount of time in recent memory will continue to guide us to roughly one win every two point five to three games. Just as we've seen all year. 

Oh, and we'll get to see Matthews hit Jack's rookie year goal total before he plays 45 games. 

I continue to feel like this is by far the best case against Bylsma. Even with the injuries, there's no reason for this to be the case. FFS, Ennis, Moulson, and Girgensons were that team's best players, and they can barely get a regular shift on this roster...yet the offense is the same. I mean c'mon! :wallbash:

An Xs and Os breakdown of each game shouldn't be necessary to know this is absurdly underperforming.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.