The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

3 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I will take Toronto and NYC over Paris... And that's saying something. It's a disgusting city full of $hit and urine everywhere, the food is nowhere near as quality as people make it. The parisian attitudes are toxic. 

However, the rest of France is sublime and being in Paris is a necessary evil as the gateway to a lot of places.

Fair enough.  Parisians are insufferable, but it's hard to avoid them.  There are just so many sights to see.  Whenever we went to France we would have 1 day in Paris at either end and spend most of our time around the other regions.  Southern France (not as far as the Riviera and Nice and all that snooty jazz) is quite delightful.  Provence in our favourite.

@LTS

Here is the early trend after the first 3 cuts, 2 a week, so this is 1 1/2 weeks. Bare in mind the 9 day condensed usage due the grass growth given the rain.

1st cut, grass 6" average, 1st cut of season, heavy rain prior, grass still moist in low spots. Low speed, low blade speed, 1 cut down to 3". 84% battery start, 21% at complete thick tall grass cut.

2nd cut 3 days later, grass 5" average, low speed, low blade speed, 1 cut down to 2.5". 100% battery start, 39% completion.

3rd cut 3 days later, today, grass 5" average again (Stop Raining!!!!), 1 cut down to 2.5", 100% battery start, 45% completion.

A couple of trends of note.

1.) 2 x 40v batteries drain, the 2 x 80v carry the day. Picture below will show you post cut battery situation. The purchase comes with 2 x 40v and 2 x 80v with room for 2 more 40v and 1 more 80v. Personally, I'm going to take the grand or so hit and purchase them, given what I'm running in to with the plush lawn due to rain situation. Just an insurance purchase type thing for me. Glad I found out early on. 

2.) Charging time, expect a good 2 to 4 hrs from 39%-45% range with the 2/2 as purchased battery configuration. The charger doesn't have a selector for fast charge, so best to stay on top of it.

So far LTS, she's performed as advertised, but I'll let ya know how the batteries handle a full summer. As stated, below are pics of yard done and machine battery data.

20240504_162516.jpg

20240504_162611.jpg

20240504_162435.jpg

• Like (+1) 2

18 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

@LTS

Here is the early trend after the first 3 cuts, 2 a week, so this is 1 1/2 weeks. Bare in mind the 9 day condensed usage due the grass growth given the rain.

1st cut, grass 6" average, 1st cut of season, heavy rain prior, grass still moist in low spots. Low speed, low blade speed, 1 cut down to 3". 84% battery start, 21% at complete thick tall grass cut.

2nd cut 3 days later, grass 5" average, low speed, low blade speed, 1 cut down to 2.5". 100% battery start, 39% completion.

3rd cut 3 days later, today, grass 5" average again (Stop Raining!!!!), 1 cut down to 2.5", 100% battery start, 45% completion.

A couple of trends of note.

1.) 2 x 40v batteries drain, the 2 x 80v carry the day. Picture below will show you post cut battery situation. The purchase comes with 2 x 40v and 2 x 80v with room for 2 more 40v and 1 more 80v. Personally, I'm going to take the grand or so hit and purchase them, given what I'm running in to with the plush lawn due to rain situation. Just an insurance purchase type thing for me. Glad I found out early on. 

2.) Charging time, expect a good 2 to 4 hrs from 39%-45% range with the 2/2 as purchased battery configuration. The charger doesn't have a selector for fast charge, so best to stay on top of it.

So far LTS, she's performed as advertised, but I'll let ya know how the batteries handle a full summer. As stated, below are pics of yard done and machine battery data.

Nice.. I have 2 40V now as they came with the push mower.  I throw the batteries on the charger and let'em go overnight.  The 80V have to take awhile to get back to full charge no doubt.  I'd probably run into running through the batteries as I have some complexity in my lawn that slows down some cutting areas.. either that or I skip those and hand mow them.  Also live in a pretty good grade so if I cut uphill I wonder what that would do.

Either way, for now it remains the riding mower and the push mower and I generally just use the push because it's a good workout.  I think @Doohickie called it yardio... I like that term.

• Like (+1) 2

20 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Fair enough.  Parisians are insufferable, but it's hard to avoid them.  There are just so many sights to see.  Whenever we went to France we would have 1 day in Paris at either end and spend most of our time around the other regions.  Southern France (not as far as the Riviera and Nice and all that snooty jazz) is quite delightful.  Provence in our favourite.

Britany and Normandy were amazing. Went to the D day invasion site at Omaha Beach, what a gross misstep that day was. St. Malo was a cool stop and the crepes and salted butter caramels in northern France were yummmmm

Lithuania was awesome, almost anywhere in the county was enjoyable. 

Latvia was a mixed bag, Riga was Meh to me, too much of a bigger city feel and kind of trashy. Went to Sigulda and did a country sauna the first night where this Latvian sauna master lady beat the $hit out of us with birch whisks butt naked and it was a whole traditional thing; then went out and jumped into the ice cold pond, some tea and fruit then a relaxing break on a haystack under the stars covered in wool blankets, then rinse and repeat. Kuldiga was an awesome small town and Jurmala was a nice beach town only 30 min from Riga. 

Then we got stuck in Paris for a day as that's the way the flights worked out. They're prepping for the Olympics and it's even crappier than usual, holy hell is that city just terrible. Then someone at the airport stole my bag of Baltic chocolates that I was collecting through the whole trip, as if I needed to hate Paris any more. 

Currently 2.5 hours away from landing in Toronto, going to hit the all you can eat Japanese/Korean BBQ in Toronto before driving home. 

Can't wait to plan the next trip! 

20 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Britany and Normandy were amazing. Went to the D day invasion site at Omaha Beach, what a gross misstep that day was. St. Malo was a cool stop and the crepes and salted butter caramels in northern France were yummmmm

Lithuania was awesome, almost anywhere in the county was enjoyable. 

Latvia was a mixed bag, Riga was Meh to me, too much of a bigger city feel and kind of trashy. Went to Sigulda and did a country sauna the first night where this Latvian sauna master lady beat the $hit out of us with birch whisks butt naked and it was a whole traditional thing; then went out and jumped into the ice cold pond, some tea and fruit then a relaxing break on a haystack under the stars covered in wool blankets, then rinse and repeat. Kuldiga was an awesome small town and Jurmala was a nice beach town only 30 min from Riga. 

Then we got stuck in Paris for a day as that's the way the flights worked out. They're prepping for the Olympics and it's even crappier than usual, holy hell is that city just terrible. Then someone at the airport stole my bag of Baltic chocolates that I was collecting through the whole trip, as if I needed to hate Paris any more. 

Currently 2.5 hours away from landing in Toronto, going to hit the all you can eat Japanese/Korean BBQ in Toronto before driving home. 

Can't wait to plan the next trip! 

'We' ?????

Travelling with your sister again, eh ??

41 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

That was the year.  The one that got away.

That was a good team.

Perreault and Martin still in their prime.

Gare, Derek Smith, Van Boxmeer and Schoenfeld entering theirs.

Gritty, grizzled vets Luce, Ramsay, Dudley, Korab and Hajt.

Young guys Seiling, McKegney having an impact.

Playfair and Ruff bringing some western toughness.

Edwards and Sauve were young but an excellent tandem.

The infusion of Olympians Ramsey and McClanahan.

And of course the coaching genius of Scotty Bowman.

• Like (+1) 3

On 2/12/2024 at 2:29 PM, steveoath said:

Was at the Gallery Of Modern Art here in Glasgow. There is an exhibition on called “Domestic Bliss” which is fully ironic. But I noticed there is a Niagara area piece in the exhibit. Thought it may be interesting to some…..

IMG_1368.jpeg

IMG_1367.jpeg

IMG_1369.jpeg

Pretty sure it wasn't covered with a "thin layer of dirt" but rather a thick clay cap.  (HS Environmental Science was a LONG time ago, but IIRC it was in fact a thick clay cap put on top of the dump when they stopped using it as a dump.)  The reason for that stipulation mentioned with the caption was that Hooker did NOT want to sell the filled in canal to the School Board. 

The School Board was going to eminent domain it because they considered it to be prime unused real estate, so Hooker ended up selling it to them for $1 expecting that by having no financial gain from the sale of the land and also telling the school board to make sure they didn't dig into the cap that it would help limit their liability.  As mentioned, and unmentioned in that caption, Hooker told the board that whatever you do, dont dig through the cap.  In other words, use it as parking lot or park or any other way that the cap wouldn't be breached.  What did the School Board do, dug through the cap to put in a school and sold a lot of it off for houses (which also cut through the cap to put basements in the houses).

Hooker's hope that by giving the land away rather than selling it that it's liability would be limited was not realized.  They ended up bankrupted with the assets bought by Occidental Chemical (Oxy Chem).  The case was instrumental in the enactmant of the Superfund legislation.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

On 4/23/2024 at 7:16 AM, Doohickie said:

Thoughts on losing 21 pounds:
. Waist size down from 40 to 38
. All the permanent aches and pains I've been living with are going away
. I literally feel like I have a spring in my step. My gait is perceptibly faster
. I can do a full squat. Previously one of my knees hurt bad enough that I couldn't fully flex it; now I can
. Can't quite stand up from a full squat though. Not yet.

One last thing: The yardio is working. When I first started working out in the yard it was exhausting, especially the bending down and getting back up, lifting bags of mulch/soil/whatever. It's a good rehab program. And the yard looks nicer than it has in a couple years.

I had stalled out at about 22-23 lb. lost, bouncing around in that range.  This weekend I "gave up" and ate some big meals.  Didn't gain an ounce.  Weird.  So back to eating light and I'm down 25 pounds as of this morning.

And the best thing is how much better I feel physically.  It doesn't take all that much weight loss to see benefits.

22 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I had stalled out at about 22-23 lb. lost, bouncing around in that range.  This weekend I "gave up" and ate some big meals.  Didn't gain an ounce.  Weird.  So back to eating light and I'm down 25 pounds as of this morning.

And the best thing is how much better I feel physically.  It doesn't take all that much weight loss to see benefits.

You got old mo on your side. In my experience the weight comes off fast and is slow to come back on. When it does, look out.

• Like (+1) 1

All the talk of LHD versus RHD has me thinking.

I am taking an informal poll .. should this be it's own thread ?

And if so, should that thread have a poll ?

So, I am right handed, but find that I do some things where my left hand becomes the dominant hand and I hold with my right hand (insert winkie thingie here).

What do you say guys?  And dolls too, of course ...

How do you hold and peel an orange ??

A banana ??

1 hour ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

All the talk of LHD versus RHD has me thinking.

I am taking an informal poll .. should this be it's own thread ?

And if so, should that thread have a poll ?

So, I am right handed, but find that I do some things where my left hand becomes the dominant hand and I hold with my right hand (insert winkie thingie here).

What do you say guys?  And dolls too, of course ...

How do you hold and peel an orange ??

A banana ??

I hate fruit.