GDT: Boston at Buffalo 1:00 pm ET, 12/3/2016

Doohickie

Wasn't even a trip. My barometer is how would I feel if they called that against one of our players and I wouldn't have liked it. Marchand is a douche nozzle to be sure, but that was a good non call.

I like Marchand, he's the type you hate to play against but you love him on your squad. He's not a dirty player.

Risto and some others seemed more concerned with Marchand than the game itself which is what a pest is supposed to do.

So now we've lost the first 2 games this season against hated Boston - AND.... the Sabres have scored ONE goal in 2 games against Boston!  

This is not the Stanley Cup winning Boston of years gone by either, but a vulnerable Boston. The Bylsma-coached Sabres have won only 1 game out of 6 played so far against Boston.   In fact, in those 6 games, the Sabres have scored 11 goals total! Take out the 6-3 win almost a year, ago, and in the past 5 games vs Boston, the Sabres have scored an atrocious  1 goal per GAME!!!   That's a terrible performance against one of the Sabres' biggest rivals.  

That should not be acceptable - the Sabres coach needs to coach wins vs Boston.  Pegula or someone in the front office should be making that very clear to Bylsma.  

Edited by Jsixspd

So now we've lost the first 2 games this season against hated Boston - AND.... the Sabres have scored ONE goal in 2 games against Boston!  

This is not the Stanley Cup winning Boston of years gone by either, but a vulnerable Boston. The Bylsma-coached Sabres have won only 1 game out of 6 played so far against Boston.   In fact, in those 6 games, the Sabres have scored 11 goals total! Take out the 6-3 win almost a year, ago, and in the past 5 games vs Boston, the Sabres have scored an atrocious  1 goal per GAME!!!   That's a terrible performance against one of the Sabres' biggest rivals.  

That should not be acceptable - the Sabres coach needs to coach wins vs Boston.  Pegula or someone in the front office should be making that very clear to Bylsma.

Excellent point! To me, Boston is the measuring stick for the progress of the rebuild. Not Toronto, not Ottawa, but the (not so) Big (not so) Bad Bruins. It's not as acute as the Patriotis that afflicts the Bills, but the Sabres too often look flat, or intimidated, or I don't know what when facing the Bruins.

Boston is very well coached but talent-wise not as good as the Sabres.

They are a team we need to jump over and dominate if the ascent of the Sabres is going to happen.

Marchand is absolutely dirty all the time.

He's just less stupid about it and he's matured into a helluva good hockey player.

It wasn't a slewfoot.

I think you guys were so focused on our lack of offence you missed how well we locked the Bruins down.

Pastrnak took a beating, Bergeron as quiet as I've ever seen him and Risto was in Marchand's head as much as the other way around.

Not saying we played well. We have to find ways to create offence in that kind of game.

It was a defensive slug fest that could have gone either way.

Bruins won because they got two lucky goals to our one.

Not sure your comment is serious, but I'd think this could be proven with fancystats. Do those six teams really get more calls? I know this — the talk about Montreal being favored at home doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

While I refuse to take a side on this argument, this link will warm your heart PA

http://www.ontheforecheck.com/2011/2/2/1964714/do-the-nhls-original-six-franchises-receive-special-treatment

Excellent point! To me, Boston is the measuring stick for the progress of the rebuild. Not Toronto, not Ottawa, but the (not so) Big (not so) Bad Bruins. It's not as acute as the Patriotis that afflicts the Bills, but the Sabres too often look flat, or intimidated, or I don't know what when facing the Bruins.

Boston is very well coached but talent-wise not as good as the Sabres.

They are a team we need to jump over and dominate if the ascent of the Sabres is going to happen.

Even worse - the two Tank years - infamously historically horrendous teams - 2014-15 was 1 and 3 with 7 Goals for, and 2013-14 was 2-3 with 13 goals for, against Boston. 

So the Tank team was 3-6 against Boston with 20 goals for, or 2.2 GFA per game.   Bylsma's led Sabres are so far 1-5 and a horrible 1.8 GFA, with a supposedly IMPROVED coach and much improved team.  

Someone in charge at the Sabres organization should carefully review this data with Bylsma and make it clear to him the expectation for performance is higher than the results he's delivered, and that Bylsma should govern himself accordingly and CLOSE THE GAP between expectations and delivery.

Wonder how Ted Nolan would do against Boston if he were coaching the current team?  

Edited by Jsixspd

Marchand is absolutely dirty all the time.

He's just less stupid about it and he's matured into a helluva good hockey player.

It wasn't a slewfoot.

I think you guys were so focused on our lack of offence you missed how well we locked the Bruins down.

Pastrnak took a beating, Bergeron as quiet as I've ever seen him and Risto was in Marchand's head as much as the other way around.

Not saying we played well. We have to find ways to create offence in that kind of game.

It was a defensive slug fest that could have gone either way.

Bruins won because they got two lucky goals to our one.

Good take and I appreciate the perspective. It's helpful.

It sounds like Boston is wayyyy in your guys' heads. I'm just as down on Bylsma as the next guy, but losing to Boston after a very unlikely win against the Rangers is not the franchise-defining disaster you're making it out to be. The Eichel high couldn't last forever.

Hey, facts are hard to argue against. It's not just yesterday's game we're talking about.

Until the Sabres can beat the Bruins regularly, we ain't going anywhere!

I have to wonder if .500 gets in these guys' heads. Gripping sticks tighter, changing mindset a bit. as a fan it feels like a larger mental hill to overcome than a usual game.

If there is even an ounce of truth to this, then they will absolutely never win anything, ever!

I don't actually believe that we come out flat and lose games because of this, but this would be something like the 4th game where we could say we were either heading above .500 or above DeLuca .500 (that Leafs game) with a win. Each of the first three times it happened, they let an important "should-win" game get away and followed it up with at least one more (and sometimes several more) poor performances, resulting in 2-3 weeks of waiting to have a shot again, and then doing the same exact thing. Even with Jack coming back, instead of winning the big game that could lead to the next one vaulting us into a wildcard spot, we find ourselves 6 points out largely because we forgot to come play hockey in the first period, our scoring line playing hungover. And it's going to take a good stretch again just to get back within arm's length. With two games against the Caps, a game where McDavid gets to feast on Falk/Guhle/AHL scrubs, and a game against the Kings. Way to seize the opportunity when you had a chance, boys. Nice job.

I still can't believe a couple of those Reinhart shifts. What the hell was he doing.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.