GDT: Boston at Buffalo 1:00 pm ET, 12/3/2016

Doohickie

I don't know guys, I can't fathom a way in which that is a good goal when comparing it to all of the other kicking motion calls I've seen overturned. It was the right call. 

They need to be able to score more than a Gio-kick to win this game anyway.

I've seen loads of kicks like that not count, even after bouncing off of defensemen in front. This isn't some weird new interpretation. That goal has never been allowed. I'd like anyone to point me to one example.

what makes things worse is that guhle could have had his first nhl point there :p

I don't know guys, I can't fathom a way in which that is a good goal when comparing it to all of the other kicking motion calls I've seen overturned. It was the right call. 

They need to be able to score more than a Gio-kick to win this game anyway.

I've seen loads of kicks like that not count, even after bouncing off of defensemen in front. This isn't some weird new interpretation. That goal has never been allowed. I'd like anyone to point me to one example.

Your logic is not needed here today :p

49.2 Goals - Kicking the puck shall be permitted in all zones. A goal cannot
be scored by an attacking player who uses a distinct kicking motion to
propel the puck into the net with his skate/foot. A goal cannot be
scored by an attacking player who kicks a puck that deflects into the
net off any player, goalkeeper or official.

49.2 Goals - Kicking the puck shall be permitted in all zones. A goal cannot

be scored by an attacking player who uses a distinct kicking motion to

propel the puck into the net with his skate/foot. A goal cannot be

scored by an attacking player who kicks a puck that deflects into the

net off any player, goalkeeper or official.

There it is.

It was a kick. The kind of kick that happens a hundred times per game while somebody gains control of the puck. The fact that it deflected in makes it feel like it should count.

That would defeat the purpose of the rule. They don't want people throwing their skates around near the net/goalie.

It wasn't a distinct kicking motion. He had a Bruins player all over him, picked his foot up, turned it, and planted it in order to try to stop himself from crashing into the net. It wasn't a kick. It was a normal hockey motion.

I *think* the league has gotten away from a literal kicking motion standard, despite what the rule book says. The word "propel" is important. If a player does something with his skate to add energy to the puck or intentionally direct the puck, that's trouble. Deflecting off a skate is fine. Passive vs. active deflection might be a way to put it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.