Let the Fire Bylsma Watch begin

matter2003

Do you think this roster should be competitive for a playoff spot? I do.

No. I think the D is terrible and I think the O is severely lacking. We have some good players, yes. We do not have shut down players and we have very few(1) dynamic players.

Wild, So basically no one wanted to burn DD at the stake last season. It just became a chorus as our injured and undermanned team started poorly again this season. Ok, I appreciate your honesty.

What if GMTM is actually able to fix the D and the Sabres under DD get out of the gate quickly next season? What then?

Whether DD stays or goes, GMTM better fix this crappy roster. It's major improvement next season or else. The next 75 days should be very interesting.

Hey now, I did not say that. Last year we accepted that we had two rookies, a brand new system, a bunch of new faces, and it was our first year after the tank. We kinda of figured his system back then was a reaction to this; don't put too much on a new team with young kids. It wasn't until the start of this season where we started to notice his system hadn't changed. Then, if you go back, many were patient enough to wait for it to change once Jack came back. Understandable for sure. I didn't have faith that it would, because it was the same we saw last season. Then Jack came back, and it didn't. So we looked at Pittsburgh, and waited some more. Sure enough, still no change

That's my biggest fear. If we make the playoffs next season under Dan, people will vindicate him, despite the quick exit. That buys him and Murray more time, which will inevitably fail. Either can Bylsma this offseason, or throw away another season of our players primes and likely lose Murray in the process. I like Murray

No. I think the D is terrible and I think the O is severely lacking. We have some good players, yes. We do not have shut down players and we have very few(1) dynamic players.

We have the same exact roster Toronto has. And a better one than Ottawa

Sabres announce that DD will speak tomorrow after meetings and locker clean out

GMTM will speak on Wednesday at 2 PM

Well, there's our deadline then. 

I think they had quite a bit of skill on O, as evidenced by the PP, they had pretty solid goaltending and they had a number of respectable defensemen.  I think a better coach would've made it work the same way Babcock did in Toronto.

With a mostly healthy roster, Kulikov being the notable exception, the Sabres were on a 62 point pace.

They finished last in the Atlantic Division, with 3 less points than less year.

The locker room was a mess. Young players versus Vets. The Vets having a mutiny over Moulson's Scratch for Nylander.

A team that was better when they didn't play the system.

And a very disgruntled fan base. We need a sacrifice and DD is it.

This was a thing? I missed this.

If the vets are Gorges, Moulson and Gionta, then it's time they are flushed.

The team culture should be about performance, not years experience.

The longer I ponder it (why I'm pondering, I have no idea) the more I'm beginning to believe that the older guys, both in terms of performance on ice and (suddenly there's evidence of) crapulence off it, have in fact been the problem with this team all year.

Player wise, anyway. No covering for Disco.

This was a thing? I missed this.

If the vets are Gorges, Moulson and Gionta, then it's time they are flushed.

The team culture should be about performance, not years experience.

Paul Hamilton spoke about it yesterday on a Sports Talk Saturday.

I don't know if it was a thing or not but what did Nylander do in Rochester to earn a spot?  It's not like he was lighting it up and forcing his way onto the roster.

He was the 8th Overall Pick, the season was lost And management wanted to give him a taste of the NHL. Why not bring him up?

Besides when this team is competing for a Cup, who is more important Moulson or Nylander?

Bob McKenzie said on NBCSN moments ago he believes Bylsma is safe. He cited that ownership would like to see how Murray/Bylsma operate with a healthy roster.

I guess I'm going to see how my October evenings operate with a healthy dose of newly freed time.

What are y'all going to do when DD returns next season? I wasn't on the board last season, but I can't believe there was similar dislike of DD last season especially in the second half as guys like Bogo played the best hockey of their career and the same system seemed to be working.

I won't be watching unless I hear that "new system" Byslma promised is implemented.

Same thing I did this year. Not get center ice. Only watch about 5 games. And generally not care about hockey.

My man!

I don't think it's that Nylander was playing, it's that Moulson was scratched. Des was playing in his freaking spot FFS

@ByMHarrington
To me, yet another sign Bylsma is staying is he's speaking to media tomorrow. Can't see that and then GMTM speaks Wednesday and fires him.

Harrington with a surprising lucid thought

I don't know if it was a thing or not but what did Nylander do in Rochester to earn a spot?  It's not like he was lighting it up and forcing his way onto the roster.

The team was playing out the string in a disappointing season in which Matt Moulson did nothing except produce a slight bit of offence riding the coat tails of an elite power play. What did he do to force his way on to the roster?

I don't think it's that Nylander was playing, it's that Moulson was scratched. Des was playing in his freaking spot FFS

@ByMHarrington

To me, yet another sign Bylsma is staying is he's speaking to media tomorrow. Can't see that and then GMTM speaks Wednesday and fires him.

Last season they both spoke at the same Presser, not separate ones

We might not have a bottom 5 roster but it's close. Of our starting 22 players, if we only being back 8 or 9 guys, Jack, Sam, ROR, KO, Lehner, Jake, Risto, Kane and maybe Foligno, I think our team would be better for it.

Right now our team is a young forest being choked by weeds, poison ivy, dead wood and a terrible forestry plan

What are y'all going to do when DD returns next season? I wasn't on the board last season, but I can't believe there was similar dislike of DD last season especially in the second half as guys like Bogo played the best hockey of their career and the same system seemed to be working.

I won't watch until he's fired unless they're hot out of the gate.

I hate to say it, but it still seems unlikely that they'd put him out there for a presser and then can him.

Yeah. And Friedman and McKenzie have said over the last couple weeks they don't think hes one the hot seat. There really isn't much evidence he will be fired besides most of the fanbase wanting a change.

Sabres are gonna look real stupid if they are looking for a new coach by Christmas. So i hope they know what they're doing.

Wild, So basically no one wanted to burn DD at the stake last season. It just became a chorus as our injured and undermanned team started poorly again this season. Ok, I appreciate your honesty.

What if GMTM is actually able to fix the D and the Sabres under DD get out of the gate quickly next season? What then?

Whether DD stays or goes, GMTM better fix this crappy roster. It's major improvement next season or else. The next 75 days should be very interesting.

Since we're playing the "what if" game, if Bylsma is fired and Murray only adds say 1 defenseman, and we're significantly improved...will you finally admit Bylsma was a big part of the problem?

@ByMHarrington

I mostly agree with this, though this plan is also pre-exit interviews from the players. I keep going back to Torts and the Rangers a few years back: Sather had no plans to fire Torts, but after player interviews, he felt he had to.

I hate to say it, but it still seems unlikely that they'd put him out there for a presser and then can him.

The exit interviews will be our salvation.

I mostly agree with this, though this plan is also pre-exit interviews from the players. I keep going back to Torts and the Rangers a few years back: Sather had no plans to fire Torts, but after player interviews, he felt he had to.

The exit interviews will be our salvation.

Tim Murray's uncle is an assistant coach. I don't think any player will tell him anything tomorrow that he already doesn't know.

It depends.  If they told him he's out, they might have given him the choice of GMTM announcing that DD had been fired, or he could resign, and be allowed him to make the announcement himself at the presser.

It might be telling to see where Executive AirShare 961 flies the next few days.

Edited by Doohickie

Tim Murray's uncle is an assistant coach. I don't think any player will tell him anything tomorrow that he already doesn't know.

Maybe, maybe not--can't be sure how that information gets filtered through Murray. Primary interview could be quite different than what he's gotten secondhand.