Let the Fire Bylsma Watch begin

matter2003

Would be kinda like Pittsburgh hiring that Wisconsin coach a few years back, Badger Bob Jackson? JOhnson?

Nothing good ever comes from hiring them college boys.

I was thinking of him just yesterday. I was going to ask whether someone like that could still make it in the NHL. Innovative, creative, positive, up-tempo, players coach.

Good read here. https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/24/sports/hockey/badger-bob-johnson-wisconsin-penguins.html?_r=0

The analogy isn't perfect (Jack isn't Mario), but the Sabres need a Bob Johnson much like the Penguins did. Pittsburgh suffered through some awful coaching before Badger Bob and Scotty arrived.

Fyi: http://www.si.com/nhl/2016/01/25/jack-parker-dave-hakstol-flyers-ncca-coaches-pro

Do y'all think PSE will eat $15 mill to fire DD to hire Jack's babysitter? Do we really want Jack to be making the coaching decisions?

That's way overblown. DD should be gone on merit alone.

Fyi: http://www.si.com/nhl/2016/01/25/jack-parker-dave-hakstol-flyers-ncca-coaches-pro

Do y'all think PSE will eat $15 mill to fire DD to hire Jack's babysitter? Do we really want Jack to be making the coaching decisions?

It'll only be $9 million. $15 million was the price to fire Ryan, which they had no issue doing. No reason to think it'll be an issue.

And I don't want Bylsma fired because he and Jack don't get along, I want him fired because he's bad at his job. Saying it's because of Eichel is spin.

I was thinking of him just yesterday. I was going to ask whether someone like that could still make it in the NHL. Innovative, creative, positive, up-tempo, players coach.

Good read here. https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/24/sports/hockey/badger-bob-johnson-wisconsin-penguins.html?_r=0

The analogy isn't perfect (Jack isn't Mario), but the Sabres need a Bob Johnson much like the Penguins did. Pittsburgh suffered through some awful coaching before Badger Bob and Scotty arrived.

That's way overblown. DD should be gone on merit alone.

Ok, who is this great magical coach that is going to make the Sabres better without a viable defense?

*looks at Toronto's blue line*

Well, Babcock could do it, so it's not impossible some other competent coach could

Do you mean the Leafs team that has scored like 60 more goals then the Sabres and is now falling out of playoff position because their D is crumbling?

It is possible to add a defenseman or two and hire an innovative coach.

Or how about get some real D, and give our Cup winning coach a chance to coach a team with a complete roster?

Do you mean the Leafs team that has scored like 60 more goals then the Sabres and is now falling out of playoff position because their D is crumbling?

The Leafs team that has 1 game in hand and is 1 point out of the playoff fresh off a tank year? 

And where do you think those 60 goals came from? Matthews?

Edited by WildCard

The Leafs team that has 1 game in hand and is 1 point out of the playoff fresh off a tank year? 

Why try? You're arguing with someone whose opinion is infallible. We're just dumb, lowly fans, Gorges sucks, and Marty says Dan's fine. If only our opinions could be 100% accurate and correct

Why try? You're arguing with someone whose opinion is infallible. We're just dumb, lowly fans, Gorges sucks, and Marty says Dan's fine. If only our opinions could be 100% accurate and correct

I'll eat my shoe if a coaching change happens and we aren't significantly better. I've never been more sure of anything Sabre related outside of the tank in my life

I have no doubt that Babcock is a better coach then DD. I have also never said that DD isn't part of the problem. My point has always been that simply changing the coach isn't going to solve the problems here. If we come back with Kulikov, Franson and Gorges, as many here want us to do, don't be surprised, regardless of who is the coach, that any improvement will be marginal.

There is a reason excellent coaches like Quennville, Julien, Babcock, Sutter didn't win Cups at earlier coaching stops. They didn't have the horses. Dave Tippett is supoosed to be an excellent coach. His teams in AZ stink. Why? He doesn't have a good roster and won't for years to come. Many here think Lindy Ruff is an excellent coach. How is he doing this yesr in Dallas without a D or adequate goalies? Is Arizona situation Dave Tippett's fault? Is he not coaching them up?

Making coaching changes is easy, but in our case it won't solve anything other then making some fans and a couple players happy.

I feel a group hug coming on .........

Hey!  Watch yer hands, mister!

Scotty sighting ...

I still marvel that arguably the greatest coach in NHL history had the ultimate success everywhere except Buffalo.

Has to be that he was too focused on being the GM here, but couldn't leave coaching behind either.

The Blues didn't win a Cup under him either.

Their GM put together a deeper roster with scoring across 3 lines. They have 9 forwards and one D with at least 10 goals, plus 2 guys with 30 goals by season's end. Now compare that to ours. We surprisingly have 8 forward at 10 plus, but no 30 goal scorers and no D close to 10 goals. Matthews has 30 already add 18 for Nylander and 17 for Marner. Not a bad infusion of talent. With Matthews, Kadri has blossomed in his new role as 2nd line center which dropped Bozak to his best role as 3rd line center. I hate to say it, but the Leafs are deeper and better then we are. The senior staff (Lou, Shanny and Babock) there has done a better then GMTM reshaping their roster.

You asked if there was a coach who could do better. Well, the Leafs are better. There's a lot of space between where the Sabres are now and being a contender. Nobody is arguing a different coach makes this team hit 100 points and push for a Cup. But better? Yea, I think that's pretty easily obtainable.

I have no doubt that Babcock is a better coach then DD. I have also never said that DD isn't part of the problem. My point has always been that simply changing the coach isn't going to solve the problems here. If we come back with Kulikov, Franson and Gorges, as many here want us to do, don't be surprised, regardless of who is the coach, that any improvement will be marginal.

There is a reason excellent coaches like Quennville, Julien, Babcock, Sutter didn't win Cups at earlier coaching stops. They didn't have the horses. Dave Tippett is supoosed to be an excellent coach. His teams in AZ stink. Why? He doesn't have a good roster and won't for years to come. Many here think Lindy Ruff is an excellent coach. How is he doing this yesr in Dallas without a D or adequate goalies? Is Arizona situation Dave Tippett's fault? Is he not coaching them up?

Making coaching changes is easy, but in our case it won't solve anything other then making some fans and a couple players happy.

Can you show us 1 single post where in 2017 anyone has advocated for Gorges coming back?

You asked if there was a coach who could do better. Well, the Leafs are better. There's a lot of space between where the Sabres are now and being a contender. Nobody is arguing a different coach makes this team hit 100 points and push for a Cup. But better? Yea, I think that's pretty easily obtainable.

True, I'm with you generally, I don't doubt there are better coaches then DD. Babcock is one of them. But many people here, go look at the polls on the D thread, you'll see that the majority of the people here want Kulikov and Franson back (albeit at lower salaries). To me that shows that most here think the DD is the primary problem and that this team with the same players and a different coach would be a playoff contender. This just doesn't make any sense.

Can you show us 1 single post where in 2017 anyone has advocated for Gorges coming back?

Yes - 7 people in the D thread polls have voted to bring back Gorges. (That's nearly 30% of the votes cast.) Edited by yse325

Hey!  Watch yer hands, mister!

The Blues didn't win a Cup under him either.

Where my hands go is none of your business ...  :flirt:

And that's correct about Scotty's stint with the Blues.  Three strikes and he was out.  And we all know where he ended up in a 'if you can't beat them, join them' sort of way.

Yes - 7 people in the D thread polls have voted to bring back Gorges. (That's nearly 30% of the votes cast.)

Well, that really isn't a post, so for your and Taro's benefit ...

I like the old guy and think he is not the worst of our roster problems.  For full disclosure I voted to bring Gorges back at any price in the poll. I think the only one that voted that way.

He shunned Toronto, so that gets a big  :thumbsup: from me.

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

Their GM put together a deeper roster with scoring across 3 lines. They have 9 forwards and one D with at least 10 goals, plus 2 guys with 30 goals by season's end. Now compare that to ours. We surprisingly have 8 forward at 10 plus, but no 30 goal scorers and no D close to 10 goals. Matthews has 30 already add 18 for Nylander and 17 for Marner. Not a bad infusion of talent. With Matthews, Kadri has blossomed in his new role as 2nd line center which dropped Bozak to his best role as 3rd line center. I hate to say it, but the Leafs are deeper and better then we are. The senior staff (Lou, Shanny and Babock) there has done a better then GMTM reshaping their roster.

Again, look at our players and their players stats prior to Bylsma and Babcock. Since when has JVR and Kadri just become all-stars? I don't know, since Babcock came over I think

We'd have 3 scoring lines too if our coach would realize where the to play Reinhart

Rookie coaches almost never win Cups, and I really doubt it's a lack of talent. Cooper made it to one, didn't win

Again, look at our players and their players stats prior to Bylsma and Babcock. Since when has JVR and Kadri just become all-stars? I don't know, since Babcock came over I think

We'd have 3 scoring lines too if our coach would realize where the ###### to play Reinhart

Rookie coaches almost never win Cups, and I really doubt it's a lack of talent. Cooper made it to one, didn't win

DD did, and no modern coaches except Bowman have won a Cup with more then one franchise. So is it a coach or the roster? Y'all say coach; Marty Biron and I say roster.

As full disclosure, I didn't want DD or Babcock. The coach I wanted was Todd McLellan.

If Babcock is coaching the Sabres, our top guys numbers would be a lot higher IMO. DB has no clue how to put these guys in the best situations to score more. He is handcuffing them with his system and constant line jumbling.

Edited by Claude Balls

DD did, and no modern coaches except Bowman have won a Cup with more then one franchise. So is it a coach or the roster? Y'all say coach; Marty Biron and I say roster.

As full disclosure, I didn't want DD or Babcock. The coach I wanted was Todd McLellan.

I mean, name modern coaches in any sport that have won championships with different teams. Phil Jackson? Then who?

DD fell ass backwards into that Cup the same way Madden did into a World Series this year. 

I mean, name modern coaches in any sport that have won championships with different teams. Phil Jackson? Then who?

DD fell ass backwards into that Cup the same way Madden did into a World Series this year. 

Or the same way the other Madden did in the Super Bowl.