GDT: Detroit at Buffalo, 7:00 PM ET, 11/23/2016

Doohickie

Lehner taking credit for being lousy in shootouts. But also says He does great in practice in shootout drills. Well Robin, maybe you do well in practice because your teammates suck at shootouts as well. I could make saves on most of these Sabres players. But he is right about the team hitting posts, they just can't find the open net.

Good news: Apparently I missed what was an excruciating way to collect a point.

Better news: I got all of my grading done for the week. Not touching anything teaching-related until Monday!

Bad news: I forgot to set my fantasy hockey lineup, leaving Ovechkin and his hat trick on the bench and 3/4 Dman slots with players not playing. Whoops.

Dan Bylsma is being a huge dick to Ristolainen. It's like he doesn't want Risto to believe in himself as a top player in the NHL. AHLer Fedun gets your #1 PP minutes and AHLer COR gets your shootout attempt. Keep dumping it in and grinding it out, DORK.

Hot Daniel really believes in AHL magic.

Edited by qwksndmonster

Good news: Apparently I missed what was an excruciating way to collect a point.

Better news: I got all of my grading done for the week. Not touching anything teaching-related until Monday!

Bad news: I forgot to set my fantasy hockey lineup, leaving Ovechkin and his hat trick on the bench and 3/4 Dman slots with players not playing. Whoops.

I thought it was a decent game. They generated a fair few close chance. The Snickers supply seems low around here.

Dan Bylsma is being a huge dick to Ristolainen. It's like he doesn't want Risto to believe in himself as a top player in the NHL. AHLer Fedun gets your #1 PP minutes and AHLer COR gets your shootout attempt. Keep dumping it in and grinding it out, DORK.

Going back to COR was logical as he scored last time. Give him another chance.

Back off of lehner in the interview and ask Kane and Girgs why THEY suck so badly

At least Kane set up our only goal.

At least Girgs......has an interesting stache.

I'm glad they run into a bunch of playoff teams coming up because they absolutely have to know 1 goal stands zero chance.

I'm going back to not watching until Eichel gets back, works much better for me. It's just boring and I can't think of one reason why I should be wasting my time this way.

Going back to COR because he scored last time is like expecting Matt Moulson to score 30 this year.

No it's not. A shootout is a one-off, a gimmick that someone may be unreasonably good at, or unreasonably poor at when otherwise talented, and Cal O'Reilly is a pretty much unknown in the format, and scored last time.

Scoring 30 across a season requires consistency.

And he's on pace for 29.

Cal is 7 of 15 in his NHL career in shootouts. Going with him was the only smart thing Goober did all game.

Thanks for this. I tried to find a site with career shootout stats but couldn't.

It's funny that everyone just assumed he was bad at it.

Small sample size but definitely warranting more attempts.

I don't mind how Dan does the shootouts, though I do want to see Risto in them (which may blow up in our faces if we try, but I'm curious.)

Okposo turned into ROR with shootouts, which is weird because he was so good as an Islander at them. I don't want either of them taking shots. 

Reinhart, Risto, Moulson/COR. Hell, I'd try Larsson, why not? Carrier? We don't have much to work with in terms of 1v1 skill in that setting, which is fine because the shootouts are stupid and I want to be a team that wins games in OT.

Maybe Ristolainen could make an effort to finish plays? Control the puck? Hit his man with passes? He deserves to get benched. Edited by PromoTheRobot

On Risto and breaking sticks: He gets waaaayyyyy too much ice before touching the puck. If it were golf, his divot would fly farther than the ball. You have to get a little ice to start the bend in the stick to slingshot the puck. If you get the puck perfectly clean, you're probably going to sail it over the net. He's just driving down way too early on the shots where he's snapping sticks. It's just bad mechanics.

On Byslma: Man, his team plays like shiit.

On Risto and breaking sticks: He gets waaaayyyyy too much ice before touching the puck. If it were golf, his divot would fly farther than the ball. You have to get a little ice to start the bend in the stick to slingshot the puck. If you get the puck perfectly clean, you're probably going to sail it over the net. He's just driving down way too early on the shots where he's snapping sticks. It's just bad mechanics.

On Byslma: Man, his team plays like shiit.

I was hoping that someone had watched a replay of his shots closely to look for something like that. My slapshots are awful for reasons I haven't figured out yet, so it wasn't my place to pretend I knew what was happening there. That makes sense though.

I've seen Parayko shoot and he also gets loads of ice before hitting the puck, I wonder if his sticks also explode.

There is definitely a coaching issue in Buffalo. This team has been "snake bitten" for almost 2 years, that doesn't add up. They are under performing and the more you watch the more you see a system that restricts player creativity and is predicated on getting lucky.

Edited by LGR4GM

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.