OT: Thanksgiving!

ubkev

I began smoking the Thanksgiving bird a few years ago and now our typical guests will not allow me to do it any other way.  I usually do it on my Big Green Egg, but this year I have to feed more so I'll do one on the Egg and one on the Weber rotisserie.

Mad Max Turkey

If I win the lottery, I'm going to offer you the Director of Lifestyle position on my staff.

Do Claude and Brawndo do the Weber thing the same way?

Nothing as exotic as Claude's, and that recipe sounds incredible.

I usually just season the bird with poultry season, after lathering in butter. I do stuff the cavity with onions, carrots and celery. Indirect heat in the Weber for 5 hours and serve.

Edited by BRAWNDO

I usually just season the bird with poultry season, after lathering in butter. I do stuff the cavity with onions, carrots and celery. Indirect heat in the Weber for 5 hours and serve.

You must have one of the larger Webers.

If I win the lottery, I'm going to offer you the Director of Lifestyle position on my staff.

I'm going to remember that!

You must have one of the larger Webers.

Are you talking weber charcoal or gas grills?  For charcoal the 22" is the standard kettle size and that's what I have,  you could cook up to a 18-20 lb bird easily on that.  The 18" is the smaller kettle and I'd guess up to 12-14 lbs would work on that one.  I'm somewhat less familiar with the various gas models, but it would probably be a similar situation where you could cook a turkey on any of them but you'd be limited on how big of a bird you'd want to cook depending on the model you have.

Weather permitting we do something very similar.

*Beer can* turkey with indirect cooking for about 5 hours and I have an older Weber Kettle grill. 

We have tried all different liquids for the *beer can*. Our liquid is now very mild, a light beer or cheap white wine. The bird is slathered in olive oil then rubbed down with a spicy rub blend and some fresh sage. It's then stuffed with herbs, from what ever is left of the herb garden. Whole twigs of rosemary is my favorite. Then shove a half a lemon in the top with the flesh side down.

Put the grill lid on with a brick on top of it cause the bird is to big for the grill. Eventually during cooking the brick is no longer necessary.

My thinking is.... the darn birds are so cheap this time of year have fun and experiment!

Edited by Woods-Racer

*Beer can* turkey with indirect cooking for about 5 hours and I have an older Weber Kettle grill. 

We have tried all different liquids for the *beer can*. Our liquid is now very mild, a light beer or cheap white wine. The bird is slathered in olive oil then rubbed down with a spicy rub blend and some fresh sage. It's then stuffed with herbs, from what ever is left of the herb garden. Whole twigs of rosemary is my favorite. Then shove a half a lemon in the top with the flesh side down.

Put the grill lid on with a brick on top of it cause the bird is to big for the grill. Eventually during cooking the brick is no longer necessary.

My thinking is.... the darn birds are so cheap this time of year have fun and experiment!

Yeah, we always buy a bird or two right after thanksgiving. They're so freaking cheap. Everyone should buy 2, donate 1, cook the other, and have turkey sandwiches for the next 2 months.

Claude is about to yell at you :) :p

I'm going to remember that!

Are you talking weber charcoal or gas grills?  For charcoal the 22" is the standard kettle size and that's what I have,  you could cook up to a 18-20 lb bird easily on that.  The 18" is the smaller kettle and I'd guess up to 12-14 lbs would work on that one.  I'm somewhat less familiar with the various gas models, but it would probably be a similar situation where you could cook a turkey on any of them but you'd be limited on how big of a bird you'd want to cook depending on the model you have.

I have a 22 inch grill and 22 inch smoker

Yeah, I've got a smaller model gas grill. Never considered using it for a turkey at the time of purchase, it's big enough for what I need otherwise. It's probably out of the question. I've mastered this gas grill for regular meals, but I'd love to get the Egg like you have for days when I have extra time. A new culinary adventure. 

This year's improvement to the turkey might come down to brining and injecting. Over the last few years I've taken the standard oven approach and tried different things to make it much juicier. 

Thanks for the link!

I love turkey as a lunch meat. Ya know, on a sandwich with cheese, mayo and nacho cheese doritos crushed into it. But as a whole bird, nope. The amount of work you have to do to make that thing palatable...

If I'm cooking there's drinking, so it's not work, it's an excuse to drink in the middle of the day with food as a bonus.

My friends mother has a massive brain tumor and his father has been the one taking care of her since the onset. He asked for local places that could provide Thanksgiving dinner for 2. I couldn't come up with a place so I volunteered to whip something up for them. I'm excited I can lend a hand. Hopefully, my cooking won't turn them off too much. :lol:

My friends mother has a massive brain tumor and his father has been the one taking care of her since the onset. He asked for local places that could provide Thanksgiving dinner for 2. I couldn't come up with a place so I volunteered to whip something up for them. I'm excited I can lend a hand. Hopefully, my cooking won't turn them off too much. :lol:

Good man.

Well done, Inkman.  You are clearly a fine person.

Eleven, I too would love to have been present for the BIL-provided portion of your Thanksgiving!

Tonight's menu, put together late yesterday afternoon:

Creamy tomato bisque

White "chicken" chili

Chocolate truffle cookies topped with fleur de sel

and a French pear martini enjoyed after making the chili and while making the bisque

A very happy Thanksgiving to all!  I am thankful for all those who participate in the GDTs, sparing me the horror of listening to the games directly.

The look on my buddies dad's face was worth every second I put into it. Very thankful I could provide some joy in someone's life. I need to start doing these types of things more often.

The big winner here IMO is little Ink. He is seeing his Dad this way and learning how to be a man. A real one. Good on you.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.