Around the NHL 2016-2017

spndnchz

Good, you came to your senses. Old coaches who won years ago rarely if ever change. They think they can coach the same and replicate success. Find an up and coming coach who's had to prove themselves every year and learn the game trends, not some bylsma like guy riding a cup high from years ago.

I'd fire GMTM and Abysmal and pick up Sutter/Lombardi.

Lombardi's roster and contracts are an absolute joke. He's a terrible GM who got by with a good head coach, though who's system may be outdated at this point (still lead the league in possession), and 2-3 HoF players.

Good, you came to your senses. Old coaches who won years ago rarely if ever change. They think they can coach the same and replicate success. Find an up and coming coach who's had to prove themselves every year and learn the game trends, not some bylsma like guy riding a cup high from years ago.

"Years ago"?  It was 2014.

"Years ago"?  It was 2014.

What was? HHDCRGDDB won a cup in 2009 (by some reports, still running Therrien's system) and only made it to the Conference Finals once since.

I just looked it up, Therrien was fired in February that season, so it's really unlikely (in my mind) that HHDCRGDDB implemented The Byslmatica in 25 games (while going 18-3-4). I have little reservation in saying his system is not a proven commodity.

Edited by MattPie

What was? HHDCRGDDB won a cup in 2009 (by some reports, still running Therrien's system) and only made it to the Conference Finals once since.

I just looked it up, Therrien was fired in February that season, so it's really unlikely (in my mind) that HHDCRGDDB implemented The Byslmatica in 25 games (while going 18-3-4). I have little reservation in saying his system is not a proven commodity.

Sutter's second cup with LA was in 2014, no?

Just how much has the league evolved since then that we would worry about the game passing him by, as Liger suggested?

Just how much has the league evolved since then that we would worry about the game passing him by, as Liger suggested?

If that is indeed Liger

But the league has gotten faster. Then again, Sutter's Kings once again lead the league in possession. They also missed Quick for a long time, and have maybe the worst forward group in the league

A lot. And how many coaches get fired after winning a cup and then win a cup with the next team?

Sutter's Kings were ridiculously heavy, and the wingers have been good skaters as well. He implements the forecheck that Bylsma's style is missing, and has all of the right pieces in place for it to work perfectly. Legend has it, Kopitar once dumped the puck into the corner on a 2 on 1, cycled for 30 seconds, and scored, and it holds the record for the longest 2 on 1 rush in NHL history. 

Even the years they won the cups, their goal-scoring rankings ranged from meh to bottom of the league. They had a good team when they missed the playoffs two years ago, they just couldn't score. They would have done damage in the playoffs had they won one more game. That style of play still dominates in the playoffs. But you have to get there, and you have to be willing to watch a lot of what we watched earlier this season with Jack out (albeit with a little more success). 

Sutter knows what he's doing I guess, but I do not want to take the team in that direction. There are other equally successful styles that are much more fun to watch, that a guy like Nylander would develop nicely in. I can't see him being an effective King style player. 

Go get an up-and-comer like Keefe who can adapt his systems to the players he has, who focuses on playing possession hockey and letting players play to their strengths. 

A lot. And how many coaches get fired after winning a cup and then win a cup with the next team?

Seriously?  The league has not evolved much in three years.

Your second point above is a LOT better than any argument that Sutter is obsolete.

If that is indeed Liger

But the league has gotten faster. Then again, Sutter's Kings once again lead the league in possession. They also missed Quick for a long time, and have maybe the worst forward group in the league

Of course it's Liger, and I'm glad to see him back.

The league has not gotten faster since 2014.  At least not significantly so.

Sutter's Kings were ridiculously heavy, and the wingers have been good skaters as well. He implements the forecheck that Bylsma's style is missing, and has all of the right pieces in place for it to work perfectly. Legend has it, Kopitar once dumped the puck into the corner on a 2 on 1, cycled for 30 seconds, and scored, and it holds the record for the longest 2 on 1 rush in NHL history. 

Even the years they won the cups, their goal-scoring rankings ranged from meh to bottom of the league. They had a good team when they missed the playoffs two years ago, they just couldn't score. They would have done damage in the playoffs had they won one more game. That style of play still dominates in the playoffs. But you have to get there, and you have to be willing to watch a lot of what we watched earlier this season with Jack out (albeit with a little more success). 

Sutter knows what he's doing I guess, but I do not want to take the team in that direction. There are other equally successful styles that are much more fun to watch, that a guy like Nylander would develop nicely in. I can't see him being an effective King style player. 

Go get an up-and-comer like Keefe who can adapt his systems to the players he has, who focuses on playing possession hockey and letting players play to their strengths. 

This sums up how I feel nicely. I think Sutter is a good coach, and I think what he does can still work...but we don't have even close to the pieces necessary to do what he does. And yes, I'm greedy, I want to have a team that is both good AND fun.

Willie Desjardins dumped in Van City.

Tallon back at the helm in FLA, Rowe his advisor, coaching search underway.

I just know Tallon's been sitting back waiting for Vinny to knock on his office door, and come crawling back. Tallon knew all along the GM by analytics committee was a ridiculous idea. Anybody in Tallon's position would have left after what Vinny did to him. Tallon wanted to wait out for the opportunity to rub it in his face and say "I told you so".

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/florida-panthers/fl-sp-tallon-panthers-20170410-story.html

“We’re turning the page on a disappointing season. From today, we’re moving forward with a singular voice under my leadership in hockey operations,” he said firmly.

Tallon and president and CEO Matt Caldwell both acknowledged that the changes in the front office structure to a group effort after the 2015-16 season, with Tallon as president of hockey operations but not driving the decision-making as in the past, didn’t work.

“Especially with folks with military background, you’d think we’d get chain of command straight,” Caldwell said. “We realized the importance of it. Everything was done with the best intentions. We want to win … but I think what we learned is that having a singular voice that listens to everything — listens to analytics, listens to scouts, listens to his gut for many, many years — and have one single voice that reports to ownership is most important.”

Lombardi built the Snarks into a top level squad & built the Kings into SC winners.

Bring in Lombardi & either Gallant or Ruff. The core of youth that Murray has brought, Lombardi will be able to work with.

It would, ironically enough, be a ZFG move. But who are we asking to give zero effs? It might have to be Russ, who would make it on your Christmas card list for the first time if he did so.

It would, ironically enough, be a ZFG move. But who are we asking to give zero effs? It might have to be Russ, who would make it on your Christmas card list for the first time if he did so.

Just because I advocate for it, does not mean I expect it.

Unfortunately, it would take Brandon advocating for it. On the plus side, bringing Lombardi in, the Sabres would be HIS & Russ would be relegated to non-hockey matters. So, bring in Dean. It would essentially clean out the entire hockey house. It sounds better & better. ;)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.