Rochester Americans 2016-2017

Cereal

Is Nelson bad?

I'm glad everyone is taking notice. He was getting to MAG/Ruhwedal level of "prospect" status. For those not paying attention, the aforementioned players were often lopped in with our prospect group even though they were only being analyzed on an extraordinarily small sample size.

Edited by inkman

Nelson is awful. One play that stood out to me tonight, was just before Bridgeport scored that goal that hit the linesman, was the Amerks were on the PP and Nelson started to go up on the rush with the puck, and drops the puck off, to whom he thought was a teammate but it was actually a Bridgeport player. Ullmark made the save, but cmon, that is unacceptable at this level. Nelson was Bridgeport's best penalty killer on that PP.

I saw someone mention Fasching, i thought he had a poor game tonight. He lost pucks too easily in the corners. One time tried to get too cute behind the net and just lost the puck - possession lost - and Bridgeport was off on their own attack. The only time he had a good scoring chance was when a Bridgeport player passed the puck straight to him to the front of the net, and one-on-one against Halak Fasching didn't even make him make a tough save.

As for players who i thought looked good- Nylander, COR, Schnieder, Kennedy, and Brady Austin.

Besides Nelson, the only other guy who could compete for worst player of the game was Daniel Muzito-Bagenda. He's pretty bad, i can't believe he is getting PP minutes.

I listened to a bit of it. Amerks need Nylander to step up with Bailey, Baptiste and Fasching not in their line up. Lesser known prospects like Karabacek and Cornel getting ice time. Season is Probably over but all the kids playing in the NHL look good.

Such is the life of a rebuilding franchise. When the Sabres lacked sufficient NHL depth going into the season, their numerous injuries stripped the top lines of the Amerks... and the result are both teams struggling in the standings. The Amerks would be much improved, I think, with Fedun/Falk as their top pairing all season. Add Bailey, Baptiste, Carrier, Fasching, Grant, COR to their forwards for long stretches... that's not bad. But each of those guys has played many minutes in the NHL this season. The key will be for them to make the most of that experience -- whether in the AHL next season, or for the lucky 2 or 3, with the Sabres.

Personally, I see Nelson as another Ruhwedel. Not a top four, but with 2-3 years of AHL seasoning, a fair 6/8-level D. Another Fedun-type (in a couple years) isn't bad to have in the system. And if he goes elsewhere... then another guy will need to step up.

To bad we didn't keep Ruhwedel,  He is doing a solid job in Pittsburgh as the 7/8 callup.  We could have used his depth in the system.  Sadly the only "real' prospects to play for the Amerks this season have been 3rd rd pick Martin (who is mostly in the ECHL this season) and Nelson.  

The rest of the D group are AHL vets and ECHL callups (Fedun (28), Falk (28) Burgdoerfer (27), Strachan (31), Bennett (25), Austin (23), Geiger (24), Mullen (30), Henry (30), Baier (28), & Shea (26).  To say this D group is a joke is an understatement.  This is an incredibly poor job by GMTM and sank the poor Amerks before the season even started.   

I wouldn't call most of them even AAAA players.  Most of them are just filler.  Just guys to eat some minutes and contribute next to nothing.  Granted part of this is a symptom of greater organizational issues, but still, GMTM did a horrible job putting the Amerks together this season.  

I'm a huge believer in guys getting experience in the A before moving up and developing a winning culture throughout the organization.  The last time our farm team was any good was the first lock out year and that team's core jumped to the NHL and went two straight conference championships.  The kids need to learn to win.    

I wouldn't call most of them even AAAA players. Most of them are just filler. Just guys to eat some minutes and contribute next to nothing. Granted part of this is a symptom of greater organizational issues, but still, GMTM did a horrible job putting the Amerks together this season.

I'm a huge believer in guys getting experience in the A before moving up and developing a winning culture throughout the organization. The last time our farm team was any good was the first lock out year and that team's core jumped to the NHL and went two straight conference championships. The kids need to learn to win.

You don't think having a D core of Falk, Fedun, Strachan, Bergdoerfer, Austin wouldn't have been sufficient?

Just curious, what was the actual attendance for the Amerks game at KBC?

http://theahl.com/game-summary?game_id=1016679

The AHL reports attendance as 16,855 but that must be tickets distributed. Every news story I've read does not give an attendance figure. Was anyone there?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Just curious, what was the actual attendance for the Amerks game at KBC?

http://theahl.com/game-summary?game_id=1016679

The AHL reports attendance as 16,855 but that must be tickets distributed. Every news story I've read does not give an attendance figure. Was anyone there?

In the hfboards Amerks thread someone mentioned that they know a guy who works for the Amerks, and that guy estimates 5,000.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.