Kim Pegula - Interview on Women and the NFL

LGR4GM

You don't earn a pro sports franchise, you buy one. Terrible example. The Pegulas bought a pro sports team. My can't one or both of them be involved in it?

You don't earn the right to buy that team?

How about this, would the other owners have allowed her to buy it herself? Now that would have been a trail blazer in my book

Thanks True. Now I'm scratching you off of my cave wall paintings

I don't think it's fair to claim esteem for somebody else's accomplishments, sorry. No, I'm not dividing the house like some petty bastard, but I don't expect my wife to claim we earned a degree from such and such

If you had me painted in a loincloth, this is probably best for all.

To the rest, I think you're making a mistake by conflating personal accomplishment with property ownership.

To the rest, I think you're making a mistake by conflating personal accomplishment with property ownership.

Just wait till I artistically immortalize the great SS meetup. 

Well yeah, that'd my complaint here. Summed it up better than I have been

You don't earn the right to buy that team?

How about this, would the other owners have allowed her to buy it herself? Now that would have been a trail blazer in my book

Why wouldn't the other owners allow a billionaire to buy a team? Why would that not want her to own one? The only reason I can think is sexism.  When Terry dies it isn't like she has to give it back because some bs reason. He is her husband and they do triumph together. When I earn my Masters I earned it but my girlfriend most assuredly should get some credit and should get the rewards of me having a better job. Sorry babe, I earned this degree so you don't get any of the extra money I now receive. Marriage is a partnership and Kim Pegula has as much right to the Bills as Terry. 

For half of America it's a mistake that ends there.  For the other half, it's a mistake that presents an opportunity and has become a guiding principle.  Sorry, you can't take me anywhere.  At least I kept it brief!

Edited by N'eo

Why wouldn't the other owners allow a billionaire to buy a team? Why would that not want her to own one? The only reason I can think is sexism. When Terry dies it isn't like she has to give it back because some bs reason. He is her husband and they do triumph together. When I earn my Masters I earned it but my girlfriend most assuredly should get some credit and should get the rewards of me having a better job. Sorry babe, I earned this degree so you don't get any of the extra money I now receive. Marriage is a partnership and Kim Pegula has as much right to the Bills as Terry.

Well it's a bunch of old white guys and always has been so no, I doubt they'd have let her in

'When I earn my Masters degree' But, why is it not 'we' and 'our'?

I wish the sexism element of this would go away. Let's turn it around.

As a struggling college student, I waited on Carly Fiorina's table. Well, turns out she likes young Italian stallions. We hit it off. We got married. We both love some roundball, so she bought the San Antonio Spurs and I got to "run" them! Please tell me what I earned. How did I earn the right to run a professional sports franchise more than the hundreds of people who worked their off their whole lives to get the chance?

Can we just call a spade a spade, or as a society are we too far gone? (Spade. Oops. My apologies.)

That's illegal.  Sorry.

Back to my popcorn...

Play along, you.

This is also a good example of an American society that worships and fawns over the wealthy. Why, they are multi-billionaires, of course they have every right to run sports teams. (And own the riches of the earth.)

Why don't they buy St. Jude's and start operating on the kids while they're at it? Would that be legal, Eleven?

As a struggling college student, I waited on Carly Fiorina's table. Well, turns out she likes young Italian stallions. We hit it off. We got married. We both love some roundball, so she bought the San Antonio Spurs and I got to "run" them! Please tell me what I earned. How did I earn the right to run a professional sports franchise more than the hundreds of people who worked their ###### off their whole lives to get the chance?

Can we just call a spade a spade, or as a society are we too far gone? (Spade. Oops. My apologies.)

You, and others, seem to be conflating having earned the "right" to purchase something with having the money to purchase something. The former doesn't exist outside the parameters of the latter. Stop it.

WildCard, if you don't change now, this is your future...

I would be honored. In the past 24 hours, WildCard has emerged from my virtual loins, the spawn now seemingly prepared to assume the mantle. You should as one welcome your new WildCard overlord. SabreSpace's future is indeed bright.

Edited by PASabreFan

As a struggling college student, I waited on Carly Fiorina's table. Well, turns out she likes young Italian stallions. We hit it off. We got married. We both love some roundball, so she bought the San Antonio Spurs and I got to "run" them! Please tell me what I earned. How did I earn the right to run a professional sports franchise more than the hundreds of people who worked their ###### off their whole lives to get the chance?

Play along, you.

This is also a good example of an American society that worships and fawns over the wealthy. Why, they are multi-billionaires, of course they have every right to run sports teams. (And own the riches of the earth.)

Why don't they buy St. Jude's and start operating on the kids while they're at it? Would that be legal, Eleven?

It wouldn't be illegal for them to buy a hospital, but it would be illegal for them to operate.

It would be illegal for them to buy a law firm even if they didn't practice law at all, though.

It wouldn't be illegal for them to buy a hospital, but it would be illegal for them to operate.

It would be illegal for them to buy a law firm even if they didn't practice law at all, though.

I can't make Cellino & Barnes an offer they can't refuse?

The discussion I like better is whether sports owners in any way have earned the right to "run" their teams.

Yes. We are all keenly aware of how much this topic and its various permutations are of interest you.

I hope I win the PowerBall someday. I am going to buy Aud's law firm (assuming he works in a firm). I mean, I loved The Paper Chase, and I picked some stuff up from John Houseman, and I'd have some ideas on how to really run the place. Opinion might change.

At least you retain the ability to amuse.

That's illegal.  Sorry.

Yeah. But it would be fun -- if it could be done. (Which it can't.)

I thought I had. If not,that post from PA pretty much sums it up

I don't think your point is just what PA is saying. I think it's something more. Something like ...

So in a nutshell, you think in a marriage you're only entitled to claim ownership of what you have directly earned the money to purchase? So let's say you earn 60% of the household income and your eventual wife owns 40%, is it your view that she only owns 40% of the house? How do you divvy that up, exactly? Do you take the family room, she gets the living room, then split the yard?

I'm sorry, but I won't be as diplomatic as Smell: you view of marriage and property rights is cavemanish. Ownership through husband being not true ownership is very much an idea of property rights ripped from the 1800s when only white men could vote.

Right. I think that is what you are saying. And maybe quite a bit more, too.

I don't think it's fair to claim esteem for somebody else's accomplishments, sorry. No, I'm not dividing the house like some petty bastard, but I don't expect my wife to claim we earned a degree from such and such

Ding Ding Ding.

Okay. Got it.

Well, I got news for you, cooz: I got married the summer before I started studies for my higher degrees. Those degrees are marital property. And not just by operation of law. I see those degrees as my accomplishment, yes, but also our accomplishment. My wife and I did it. Together.

That's sorta how it works. 

There's that word "earned" again. It's misplaced. In your scenario, you bought the team. And you chose to install yourself as president. A dubious choice, but yours and Carly's to make.

Well, damn. Can I buy the house on either side of Aud and erect some very special Kim Pegula statuary that doubles as sprinklers?

45063944.jpg

Please don't use the words "Aud," "erect," and "Kim Pegula" in one sentence.

Would not be the first time. Might be the 116th time.

Just wait till I artistically immortalize the great SS meetup. 

This fell off my mega-multi-thread reply. I had intended to give something like  :w00t:  :o

This one fell off too.

If hers were the only name on the purchase agreement and she'd had the verified funds to be wired into the seller's counsel's escrow account -- sure. 

Edited by That Aud Smell

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.