Kim Pegula - Interview on Women and the NFL

LGR4GM

She was part of a group of two people that was able to pay the purchase price. That's it that is all that is necessary. Do you own a car? A cell phone? A computer? The only requirement is that you are able to pay the purchase price. Your constant whining about qualifications and the obligations the Pegulas owe you or anyone else is a) a fiction in your mind b) tiresome. No rephrasing needed. You are wrong. They owe an obligation to meet league rules and applicable law. That's it.

You're being too literal. It's a very interesting question and you and most others just want to gloss over it.

Maybe Mike Pegula and his sister (sorry, forget her name) will own the Sabres one day, maybe even soon. Will they have earned the right to run the team?

In the end, I want to know that the people running my sports teams are qualified. In the end, I also realize that is a pipe dream.

She was part of a group of two people that was able to pay the purchase price. That's it that is all that is necessary. Do you own a car? A cell phone? A computer? The only requirement is that you are able to pay the purchase price. Your constant whining about qualifications and the obligations the Pegulas owe you or anyone else is a) a fiction in your mind b) tiresome. No rephrasing needed. You are wrong. They owe an obligation to meet league rules and applicable law. That's it.

This is dead on.

She can name herself head coach if she wants to, why does it matter?

This isn't.  I don't want someone with no experience coaching the team I root for.

You're being too literal. It's a very interesting question and you and most others just want to gloss over it.

Maybe Mike Pegula and his sister (sorry, forget her name) will own the Sabres one day, maybe even soon. Will they have earned the right to run the team?

In the end, I want to know that the people running my sports teams are qualified. In the end, I also realize that is a pipe dream.

They are qualified if they own them. That is all that is necessary. You are being obtuse. You are creating an obligation to suit your worldview that doesn't exist. You can argue that it may be unwise not to seek the best professional management to maximize the operation and value of the asset, but that is entirely their choice. Their is no requirement that they act in anyway that is not guided by their own interest. Yet you keep insisting that they meet some contrived standard in your mind even to be allowed to exercise dominion over their own property. These (teams) are private property no matter how much you wail about public institution.

This could be the cause of the confusion or differing opinions. They're not your sports teams. They're Kim and Terry Pegula's sports teams.

I fidget.

Edited by N'eo

I don't think you have the question right. What did Kim do to earn the title of owner? I expanded on it and perhaps clarified the original question: what did Kim do to earn the right to run a professional football team on the business or football side or both?

We're going back over ground we covered upthread. I 'splained why I find your use of the word "earned" there to be misplaced. No one earns the right to operate something they buy. The right of operation is inherent in taking ownership. For good or for ill.

I can't find it through Google - it's a story I remember reading in a magazine while taking the train in college - but there was a super wealthy guy (nouveau riche (sp?)) over in Europe who bought some rare masterpiece painting when it came up at auction. He proceeded to have it installed in his living room. Experts and devotees of the artist raised a huge hue and cry, and explained to him that displaying the work in that setting would destroy it over time (something about sunlight, UV rays). They said the piece was so important to western culture that he owed a duty to others to ensure its preservation. I can't recall if some of them actually commenced a lawsuit to compel him to treat the painting with greater care. Maybe they did.

In any case, the guy told them all to sod off, and said it's mine and I'll do with it as I please.

I think he had the right view of the matter - regrettable though the outcome might or might not be.

Largely agree with this.

Interesting to you. And maybe to a few others. I don't think it holds broad appeal.

If the Sabres were passed down to any of the Pegula children (which seems unlikely for the same reason Ralph could not pass down the Bills to his children), then those children will own the team. Any talk of whether they earned the right to own the team will be -- what. Moot? I don't know. It'll be a purely abstract question. Something appropriate for a college seminar addressing the concepts of ethics and morality in modern economics and creation of personal wealth. 

But probably not something that fans of a pro sports franchise want to wrestle with. Except for a few special snowflakes, perhaps.

Edited by That Aud Smell

[

This isn't.  I don't want someone with no experience coaching the team I root for.

And your choice should you exercise it would be to stop caring, as I did when Doofus was chosen and allowed to bring in dumber as a coach. I really felt liberated last fall and realized how crappy a product the NFL in general is and that it wasn't worth my investment, emotionally or otherwise. If Ryan is banished to the circus where he belongs then maybe I will give them a chance to earn my interest again. But I am now exercising my rights as a consumer without the emotional investment.

PS: I Was a SST from 1974 through 2014 and haven't lived in WNY since 1991. I kept buying them every year out of fear they would leave. That seems no longer a concern.

This could be the cause of the confusion or differing opinions. They're not your sports teams. They're Kim and Terry Pegula's sports teams.

Disagree with him thought I may (and I often do), I find PA's use of my there to be endearing. The issue has come up here before. He feels that in an honest and sincere way, from what I can tell. Absent that sort of feeling, no way he could've written that story about Lindy in his old age.

And your choice should you exercise it would be to stop caring, as I did when Doofus was chosen and allowed to bring in dumber as a coach. I really felt liberated last fall and realized how crappy a product the NFL in general is and that it wasn't worth my investment, emotionally or otherwise. If Ryan is banished to the circus where he belongs then maybe I will give them a chance to earn my interest again. But I am now exercising my rights as a consumer without the emotional investment.

PS: I Was a SST from 1974 through 2014 and haven't lived in WNY since 1991. I kept buying them every year out of fear they would leave. That seems no longer a concern.

Man, am I with you there. There have been other instances like this -- signing T.O., maybe.

Bread and circuses.

Disagree with him thought I may (and I often do), I find PA's use of my there to be endearing. The issue has come up here before. He feels that in an honest and sincere way, from what I can tell. Absent that sort of feeling, no way he could've written that story about Lindy in his old age.

Man, am I with you there. There have been other instances like this -- signing T.O., maybe.

Bread and circuses.

The Lindy Story was/is a SS highlight. I recall it, still.

PA, you got my first ever PM with that story. Link? I'd never find it.

Edited by N'eo

I don't think you have the question right. What did Kim do to earn the title of owner? I expanded on it and perhaps clarified the original question: what did Kim do to earn the right to run a professional football team on the business or football side or both?

I'll bite.

I have no way of knowing the real situation, but I'm assuming that when she went to work for that fracking company (Energy East, izzat it?) that Terry owned she earned her chops in business settings, doing management *things*, and did them well enough to convince Daddy Warbucks that she had mad skillz to run any organeyezation that they owned.  I assume that he's become a billionaire at least in part off of his ability to recognize people who can do these things for him and do them well.

And now she's here, doing Bills things.  Do the skills she showed in Fracking, Inc. relate?  Idunno.  We'll see soon enough.  But I'm comfortable with the idea that they can/should if left to the business side of things.

That's my take on it, anyway.  Not reading it literally.

Here's a thought.  Maybe instead of the traditional gold digger role, maybe he recognized that he needed her coattails to ride on.

I'll bite.

I have no way of knowing the real situation, but I'm assuming that when she went to work for that fracking company (Energy East, izzat it?) that Terry owned she earned her chops in business settings, doing management *things*, and did them well enough to convince Daddy Warbucks that she had mad skillz to run any organeyezation that they owned.  I assume that he's become a billionaire at least in part off of his ability to recognize people who can do these things for him and do them well.

And now she's here, doing Bills things.  Do the skills she showed in Fracking, Inc. relate?  Idunno.  We'll see soon enough.  But I'm comfortable with the idea that they can/should if left to the business side of things.

That's my take on it, anyway.  Not reading it literally.

Here's a thought.  Maybe instead of the traditional gold digger role, maybe he recognized that he needed her coattails to ride on.

I knew the bedrock I wanted when I found it.  Maybe he did too.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.