OT: 2016 Summer Olympics

Neo

Wow, as luck would have it, we have actual footage of Mandela dancing, so we have to go with this one. Not sure what it's called, though. We can work on naming it. 

giphy.gif

Well, in all seriousness, he HAS a dance apparently. Madiba!

Also, the Thai fans at the weightlifting competition are amazing. Wearing full apsara headdresses and just gettin' down. Pretty great stuff. 

You know, just a few quick casual sketches.  Just like anyone could do, if given a pencil, tracing paper, a still shot, and about fifteen hours.

Geez, Josie, I hope you know you're talented.

Can you make us some more donut animals?

Doin' some sketches of a few of the Olympians who've caught my eye (and that i can get decent reference of besides my terrible blurry screenshots). Can't wait for track and field!

olympians_sm.jpg

Ahem...and where are the Americans? Hmmm? Hmmm?

On a serious note, those are pretty sweet.

Get out of here NBC!

Hey! These are the Olympics! I don't give a about any other country! Unless of course they are the chosen to fall at the feet of our mighty athletes!

.....that was only like maybe half serious. OK, maybe a little more than half. :p

Josie, this is absolutely not a request for you to do more work, but if you have done or were planning on doing one of those for Matt Anderson, the West Seneca volleyball player, I'd love to see it.

Seriously, don't do it if you're busy or don't want to.

You're amazing with that stuff.

Good point, I should give that a go. 

So I made the great choice of watching weightlifting yesterday, and this relatively little Kazakh man snatched gold from the favorite and broke a world record in the process. Check out the dance he breaks into after he finishes- and if you can find it, how emotional the medal ceremony is. Bronze went to an Egyptian man who didn't expect to medal. Silver went to Xiaojun, the guy I drew above. He's known to be a good sport. It was really touching. 

https://i.imgur.com/fSR5O8Q.gifv

Also, everyone's favorite #13 wearing Sabre's beautiful daughter posted this article on her twitter this morning. Very interesting view point.  https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/olympics/in-villifying-russian-swimmer-yulia-efimova-americans-are-splashing-murky-waters/2016/08/10/0ccdba8a-5eef-11e6-8e45-477372e89d78_story.html

Edited by Josie914

Yeah, now we're on to handball.  The NBC-owned cable networks are doing a better-than-expected job of covering the "unusual" sports.

Yup, I'm impressed. I get a feeling that will end once track & field starts. 

Later at night when some of the stations go back to regular broadcasting I switch to the Roku. That's nice because there is almost no commentating and the camera views are a little more candid. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.