What Is Buffalo's Next Move?

WildCard

Now that stamkos is out, does TM make the rumored move with Edmonton for Yak and look spend the rest of the time looking for defencemen?

I hope not. Yakupov is abysmal.

I want them to trade a first for Fowler and to sign Okposo for 5.5 avg.

I wish. I really do want Fowler though, but at this point I don't think Murray will trade anyone away form our forward group. 

Would anyone do Kane for Fowler? 

My guess is Okposo comes in around $7M. I'm not interested at that price.

That price is fine for me, it's the term that comes with it

Offer sheet Lindholm. Offer Loui Eriksson 3 years at an above market value yearly basis to keep the term down. We have money so overpaying a guy to ensure less term for when we need it is an advantage of Pegula money. Lastly get Eichel, ROR, Samson, and Management on a plane and get Vesey to put pen to paper.

Ideally, I would love this to happen. Eriksson really wants term and security though

It'd have to be a real bargain to get me to bite. $4M x4?I was super high on him, learned I was incorrect (I honestly thought he had a couple 60 point seasons banked...which is most assuredly not the case), and likewise soured. The only thing he brings is some scoring, and it's not that much scoring. Additionally, he's a flat-out awful even strength player, which is what we really need to improve.

Yeap, I'm not a Boedker fan at all

I wouldn't make any trades for anyone over the age of 25 this year. Fowler, Vesey and let a couple prospects grow into their roles.

Next year, take another look.....

Bad idea IMO. That's how you end up in cap hell. You have to have a balanced approach

Looking at 2017's UFA class: Jamie Benn, who's never going to leave Dallas and Victor Headman, who TB is going to have a hard time resigning (or else something else pops loose) and everyone else they have to lock up, are the only two non-Shattenkirk (he's been throughly discussed) players I'd actually want.

if GMTM's not done constructing this team to his liking for the next few years, gonna have to be some more trades...

Blues turned down a Bruin first for Shatty.

Standard package for a top UFA-to-be is a pick, player and prospect.

What would we have to add to next year's first? Bailey? Guhle? Girgensons? MCCabe?

I'm reasonably certain Shattenkirk would sign with us.

Can we threaten to offer sheet Schwartz to sweeten the pot?

Top four of Risto, Bogo, Kuli and Shat (sounds like a law firm) would be solid, IMO.

Edited by dudacek

Blues turned down a Bruin first for Shatty.

Standard package for a top UFA-to-be is a pick, player and prospect.

What would we have to add to next year's first? Bailey? Guhle? Girgensons? MCCabe?

I'm reasonably certain Shattenkirk would sign with us.

Can we threaten to offer sheet Schwartz to sweeten the pot?

At this point I think it's Reinhart or nothing. Edmonton didn't only screw themselves with that trade

At this point I think it's Reinhart or nothing. Edmonton didn't only screw themselves with that trade

Think so? Blues aren't re-signing him so they are going to have to take the best offer or let him walk for nothing.

When is the last time a UFA got a core young piece like Reinhart?

I'd say this Oiler deal is an anomaly.

I don't think this approach THIS year does any long term damage at all. It's not like you can't turn these younger players into trade bait down the line IF you had to

I mean, why would you target players under 25 if you planned on trading them later anyways?

Think so? Blues aren't re-signing him so they are going to have to take the best offer or let him walk for nothing.

I agree, but I also think it's going to embolden those with RHDs on the trade market.

Edit: Speaking of which, given what Larsson got, Murray has to at least explore Bogo's value, right? No? Okay, back to the bunker with me.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

It's Hitch's last year, and they just came off a deep playoff run, they're desperate to win now IMO. I don't think they mind keeping onto him at all

I hope so. But with Anaheim and Minnesota reportedly asking for the moon on their guys, I'm not sure it is.

TrueBlueGED, on 29 Jun 2016 - 8:04 PM, said:

I go back and forth on this. After the end of the season presser, I was nearly certain that all Murray wanted to do was upgrade the defense and look at a bargain forward or two with some upside. Then the whole Stampocalypse stuff came out, and changed my thinking some...but I dunno, that may have just been a special case of "It's a potential 50 goal scorer, we have to try" and now it's back to business as usual. Really interested to see things play out.

I'm not convinced GMTM wanted Stamkos in the first place.  That seems like a meddling owner type of thing to do.  Pegula is still looking for that big pro-sports splash.

Anyway, they should sign Vesey.  They should also pursue Loui Eriksson, and make a trade for Hampus Lindholm. 

Not to get all yingy/yangy...But in spite of us "doing nothing" today, today was good.  PK exits the division.  

We didn't sacrifice everything for Stamkos.  Detroit and Toronto are sad.  Sounds like a pretty good day to me !!!

Exactly my feelings as well. Good day for us.

At first I wanted Stamkos pretty badly. Then I wavered and decided it was just too costly, especially if he was asking 10+ mil. Then as the rumors heated up, and after TM confirmed they would "chase the big fish", I allowed myself to get sucked into the excitement again. "F the salary cap, Tim will make it work!"

So now that it's over, I'm not necessarily that disappointed that we didn't get Stamkos... it's more of the fact that the next best option is Kyle Okposo, who I'm just not that interested in to begin with, let alone as the standout UFA forward who is going to get overpaid.

I think any trade bait we have would more likely be used for a defenseman, which I am fine with. But it kind of tempers my expectations of bringing in any true impact forward, unless Vesey signs. 

Wouldn't mind bringing back Jamie McGinn if the price is right.

GMTM has reiterated that the Sabres are "a ways away" from being where they want to be, and I don't see them standing pat & hoping a Vesey signing is their greatest hope of taking the next step.  They need to show their fans, and Vesey, that they are making strides.  May the chase for the big fish continue.

Three moves:

Sign David Backes:  Although he is on the wrong side of 30 (turned 32 May 1st) he is still a productive 2nd line player, finishing 2nd for the Blues last season in goals (21) and 3rd in points (45).  Has scored 28 pp goals over the last three seasons, and still logs close to 20 minutes of ice time per game.   Still one of the best two way centers in the game and someone you can count on each night (missing only 16 games the last 8 seasons).   He is a phenomenal leader that, along with ROR, will be a perfect role model for the Eichel, Reinharts, and Nylanders on the team.  Although his goal production has gone down the last three seasons (27, 26, 21) on the right line he can still be a close to 20-goal player with his assists rising depending on who he is paired with.  Come playoff time he'll be the welcome voice of a seasoned vet.

Trade for Kevin Shattenkirk:  I know they acquired the left shot Kulikov, but the late addition of Cody Franson last season shows the Sabres are never satisfied at the D position.  TM has stated many times if there is a better player out there he will move out someone and make room for them.  Safe to say Shattenkirk is an upgrade on the right side over both Bogosian and Franson, which is all we have behind Risto.  Shattenkirks 14 goals and 44 points were more than Bogosian and Franson combined.  His 17 PP goals over the last three seasons makes him the QB the Sabres need. At 27, he is hitting his stride.

Sign RFA Mike Hoffman:  Reach?  Sure.  But TM knows him too well, and was a name thrown around in trade rumors when he was first hired.  Ottawa has cap space, but their blue line is a mess.  Their best defenseman Erik Karlsson is ranked a horrific 26th overall on the power play, and their most important piece to keep is blue-liner Codi Ceci, who also is an RFA.  Many expect the Sens to go heavy on D in FA.  Hoffman plays both C & LW.  Averaged 28 goals and 25 assists last two seasons, including a team leading 9 pp goals last year for Senators.  At $6.5 million AAV, the Sabres would be giving up a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd to sign Hoffman.  Half the price of Stamkos for a 26 year old potential 30 goal/70 point player hitting his prime, I still believe that's great value for a team that will expect to be drafting in the 20's next year.  With a glutton of young untapped potential still on the roster for the Sabres, it wouldn't surprise me if they try and swing a trade for him first. 

Crazy?  Perhaps.  But I really see TM swinging for the fences this summer to take the final step in becoming a playoff caliber team, and convince Vesey this is where he needs to be. Regardless whether these moves are it or not, TM is going to do something.  Just a matter of what and when.

not to piss on your cereal but if there is one team that Murray isn't going to sign an RFA from its his uncle's Bryan Murray's team. 

At first I wanted Stamkos pretty badly. Then I wavered and decided it was just too costly, especially if he was asking 10+ mil. Then as the rumors heated up, and after TM confirmed they would "chase the big fish", I allowed myself to get sucked into the excitement again. "F the salary cap, Tim will make it work!"

So now that it's over, I'm not necessarily that disappointed that we didn't get Stamkos... it's more of the fact that the next best option is Kyle Okposo, who I'm just not that interested in to begin with, let alone as the standout UFA forward who is going to get overpaid.

I think any trade bait we have would more likely be used for a defenseman, which I am fine with. But it kind of tempers my expectations of bringing in any true impact forward, unless Vesey signs. 

Wouldn't mind bringing back Jamie McGinn if the price is right.

I'm still concerned he won't sign w/ Buffalo before August 15th. And to be honest, I think we get the answer to that on July 1st. Used to be against the idea of Buffalo going for Okposo. But after the wake up call provided yesterday by Stamkos, 7 million, rumor that's how much Okposo wants, doesn't sound so bad. Good to balance veterans w/ the youth. Okposo does want a lengthy deal. Even if the Sabres land Vesey, I'm in hopes Buffalo can bring Okposo in. 

I don't think they are going to make another trade for a Dman at this point - they are probably pretty comfortable with a top 4 of Risto, Bogo, Kulikov and McCabe. They will have to sign a couple of depth Dmen to fill out the roster through Free Agency.

They would probably be looking at adding a couple of wingers, hopefully Vesey is one of them.

I honestly don't mind this team going forward with a ton of cap space. They will have no issues when Jack and Sam come up in a couple of years plus they are giving the young players on this team a couple of years to define their roles.  

Why spend $7mill on Okoposo if Bailey turns out to be a better player than him?

In 2 years after a couple of playoff runs then you fill out the holes by going big. Plus you have a better chance of star players wanting to be that "missing piece".

If the Sabres were 2 years ahead in their development I think Stamkos may have signed. 

I don't think they are going to make another trade for a Dman at this point - they are probably pretty comfortable with a top 4 of Risto, Bogo, Kulikov and McCabe. They will have to sign a couple of depth Dmen to fill out the roster through Free Agency.

They would probably be looking at adding a couple of wingers, hopefully Vesey is one of them.

I honestly don't mind this team going forward with a ton of cap space. They will have no issues when Jack and Sam come up in a couple of years plus they are giving the young players on this team a couple of years to define their roles.  

Why spend $7mill on Okoposo if Bailey turns out to be a better player than him?

In 2 years after a couple of playoff runs then you fill out the holes by going big. Plus you have a better chance of star players wanting to be that "missing piece".

If the Sabres were 2 years ahead in their development I think Stamkos may have signed. 

If is the reason Buffalo needs to consider Okposo. If the Sabres land him and continue decent improvement, it'll increase their chances in landing a FA Murray may want to bring in next year (2017-18). 

Personally take what comes to you, don't overextend your hand.  I would wait and see what there is to offer up for, and unless you get someone at the right fit, don't just overpay to overpay.  Getting Ristolainen done is the most important thing at this venture. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.