Sabres Moving Preseason Game to Penn State

Brawndo

Was it? I recall getting in there once - ice/floor level, I thought. But there was some staircase arrangement somewhere too (I've seen that in photos).

Chicago Stadium famously had its locker rooms in the basement.

I thought it was only the visitor's locker room.

I joked about how Terry shouted out to northern PA in his draft speech ("SabreNation, from northern Pennsylvania to southern Ontario"). State College is central PA, but it's still closer to New York state than it is to Pittsburgh or Philly (I think; I did the old two-finger measurement on a map). Maybe Terry has an idea that more of PA can be Sabre Country. FYI: State College to Buffalo, about a four-hour drive.

I joked about how Terry shouted out to northern PA in his draft speech ("SabreNation, from northern Pennsylvania to southern Ontario"). State College is central PA, but it's still closer to New York state than it is to Pittsburgh or Philly (I think; I did the old two-finger measurement on a map). Maybe Terry has an idea that more of PA can be Sabre Country. FYI: State College to Buffalo, about a four-hour drive.

Was thinking the same yesterday, he might want to get a good fanbase going there.

Was thinking the same yesterday, he might want to get a good fanbase going there.

What's the permanent population of that greater metro area? Can't be more than 250,000 - spread out over a fairly large area.

(Also can't tell if this is meant tongue in cheek.)

What's the permanent population of that greater metro area? Can't be more than 250,000 - spread out over a fairly large area.

(Also can't tell if this is meant tongue in cheek.)

About half of that. The university there has about 45,000 students though.

Don't you think it's actually about promoting Penn State hockey more than it is about Sabres hockey?

NYS, maybe, but not Buffalo. Driving distances are Pitts (130-ish), Philly 192 mi, Buffalo 202 mi, and DC 217 mi.

I, as a common defender of the Pegulas and their decisions, think this falls right in the "sports owners are too powerful" category. Another strong arm move to bully taxpayers into paying for their facilities.

As above, the money to improve BCA already is in place.  The Amerks just want a say in how it is spent.

But aren't the Sabres the Amerks.....

Yes, but the argument is "as the primary tenant in the building...," which brings it to the Amerks side of things.  By no means am I suggesting that there isn't common control here.

Maybe I'm missing something, but why should a tenant have control over improvements to the arena? (Having said that, I suppose the Sabres have such control over their barn.)

You don't think the owner/operator of a restaurant business should be able to have input on renovations because he leases it?  You don't think he should be able to say "Hey if you change that you'll take away 3 seats at the bar and those mean $10K in revenue to me each per year"?

Is the money that's in place near enough to do what the Sabres want done?

I have no idea.  I know the mayor would rather spend it on concession stands, a restaurant, and a party deck, whatever that means. That's in the first article upthread.  But as far as I can tell, the Sabres are far from moving the Amerks to Portland.

You don't think the owner/operator of a restaurant business should be able to have input on renovations because he leases it?  You don't think he should be able to say "Hey if you change that you'll take away 3 seats at the bar and those mean $10K in revenue to me each per year"?

A bit different no? The Amerks move out and what team is going to move in with that type of attendance/concession sales?

The lessor would just find another restaurant.

I have no idea. I know the mayor would rather spend it on concession stands, a restaurant, and a party deck, whatever that means. That's in the first article upthread. But as far as I can tell, the Sabres are far from moving the Amerks to Portland.

Oh, yeah. The Amerks are FAR from moving. That's why this was the Pegulas only real option to try to flex their muscle.

I have no idea.  I know the mayor would rather spend it on concession stands, a restaurant, and a party deck, whatever that means. That's in the first article upthread.  But as far as I can tell, the Sabres are far from moving the Amerks to Portland.

The mayor didn't make that recommendation, that was a city consultant, according the the article.

This stinks. Only thing I can think of that makes any sense is they wanted to play a game at Penn State and this was the easiest to move there...so they come up with one of the flimsiest excuses possible to do so.

This sums up all the reasoning for the decision.

Enough of all the boohoo'ing. There's a pretty simple explanation for everything, sometimes you just have to dig through all the crap to find it!!!

This sums up all the reasoning for the decision.

Enough of all the boohoo'ing. There's a pretty simple explanation for everything, sometimes you just have to dig through all the crap to find it!!!

You are very likely to be correct on this one.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.