Sabres Moving Preseason Game to Penn State

Brawndo

Rochester sports columnist Leo Roth says the city should play nice with Terry.

I shouldn't take this out on Terry, but it does irk me when he gets too much credit for things. IMHO the following from Roth's piece is quite an exaggeration.

He's the guy whose billions have ignited an economic renaissance in Buffalo. He's the guy who owns the Sabres and the Buffalo Bills, who saved both big-league franchises from leaving the region.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/columnist/roth/2016/06/29/roth-city-cant-afford-alienate-pegulas/86506704/?

Rochester sports columnist Leo Roth says the city should play nice with Terry.

I shouldn't take this out on Terry, but it does irk me when he gets too much credit for things. IMHO the following from Roth's piece is quite an exaggeration.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/columnist/roth/2016/06/29/roth-city-cant-afford-alienate-pegulas/86506704/?

Yeah, that does seem to be laying it on a little thick. The Sabres were in no danger of leaving when he bought the team and when they were owned by the league, Buffalo's personal Lebron James was no where to be found (although I have no idea if he was rich at that point either). The legend of Terry Pegula will one day surpass that of the great Tedy Bruschi, if it hasn't already.

Yeah, that does seem to be laying it on a little thick. The Sabres were in no danger of leaving when he bought the team and when they were owned by the league, Buffalo's personal Lebron James was no where to be found (although I have no idea if he was rich at that point either). The legend of Terry Pegula will one day surpass that of the great Tedy Bruschi, if it hasn't already.

He was rich by any standard, but he has said he wasn't rich enough to buy the team. One other problem: he has also said he didn't know the team was for sale.

He was rich by any standard, but he has said he wasn't rich enough to buy the team. One other problem: he has also said he didn't know the team was for sale.

Yeah, I remember him saying that at some interview or press conference. A super fan that didn't know the team was for sale seems curious, but building a billion dollar fracking empire probably took up the vast majority of his time in those days. I'm still happy he owns the Bills and Sabres but I don't think he's as altruistic and some seem to believe.

Yeah, I remember him saying that at some interview or press conference. A super fan that didn't know the team was for sale seems curious, but building a billion dollar fracking empire probably took up the vast majority of his time in those days. I'm still happy he owns the Bills and Sabres but I don't think he's as altruistic and some seem to believe.

Yeah. Eff him, man! And his money. And his vision.

I thought the article is spot on. Rochester has its head up its rear, as per usual. (Just look at that soccer stadium.)  God forbid they work with someone with a track record.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Yeah. Eff him, man! And his money. And his vision.

I thought the article is spot on. Rochester has its head up its rear, as per usual. (Just look at that soccer stadium.) God forbid they work with someone with a track record.

Hard to argue when your Mayor's name is Lovely.

• 6 months later...

That irritating Pegula/Pennsylvania connection was certainly on display in this topic.  So the up and coming Sabres prospects its not an issue for them to play at BC Arena on a regular basis, but it's unacceptable for a pre-season game?   LOL

And truly, Rochester should have had a new hockey arena YEARS ago.  Rochester always does everything small;  they think small all the time, and counting every pence and shilling like Scrooge.  

That irritating Pegula/Pennsylvania connection was certainly on display in this topic. So the up and coming Sabres prospects its not an issue for them to play at BC Arena on a regular basis, but it's unacceptable for a pre-season game? LOL

And truly, Rochester should have had a new hockey arena YEARS ago. Rochester always does everything small; they think small all the time, and counting every pence and shilling like Scrooge.

And when they go big they go dumb, like building that soccer stadium in the worst part of town.

And when they go big they go dumb, like building that soccer stadium in the worst part of town.

Good point!  That is a terrible part of town.   Not a place for an evening solo stroll down the streets.    LOL. 

And as I recall they cheaped out on some facet of the stadium construction - I vaguely recall Bob Matthews regularly  complaining about it during his radio show 12 years ago or so.  Can't recall what it is - I've never even set foot there.  

They did cheap out on the roof at Frontier Field.  They could have extended the roof to cover more of the seats for a reasonable cost (at that time) but didn't. Now it would be a lot more expensive to alter with construction complete.  

Two words.

Fast. Ferry.

What an unbelievable boondoggle that project was.  The developers turned a fast buck and scrammed, at Rochester's expense.   might have been possible to build a new Hockey Arena with the money thrown away on that useless project.  There should have been in depth investigations into possible criminal misconduct there - there may have been but I bet it was whitewashed/swept under rug.  

That was Bill Johnson's 'baby'.   No one could tell him anything negative about.  I predicted it would fold within 6 months - I was astonished that it only lasted like 87 days.  

What an unbelievable boondoggle that project was.  The developers turned a fast buck and scrammed, at Rochester's expense.   might have been possible to build a new Hockey Arena with the money thrown away on that useless project.  There should have been in depth investigations into possible criminal misconduct there - there may have been but I bet it was whitewashed/swept under rug.  

That was Bill Johnson's 'baby'.   No one could tell him anything negative about.  I predicted it would fold within 6 months - I was astonished that it only lasted like 87 days.  

Haha... yea.. what a joke.  

Not too long ago they had a discussion on a high speed rail line.  Louise Slaughter was asked how it would fund itself in year 5 and her response was "Let's build it first, then we'll figure that out."  Brilliant business sense right there.

Haha... yea.. what a joke.  

Not too long ago they had a discussion on a high speed rail line.  Louise Slaughter was asked how it would fund itself in year 5 and her response was "Let's build it first, then we'll figure that out."  Brilliant business sense right there.

LTS, I recall before the Fast Ferry became operational - there were detailed figures published on overhead and operational costs.  I then took the capacity of the ferry,  factored in ~90% capacity for ticket sales (which is VERY optimistic),   calculated the total possible ticket sales (number of trips x 90% capacity x price per ticket (splitting up between commercial and passenger traffic) to come up with an estimate of gross revenue per day.

I then compared the published costs per day vs possible gross revenue - it was clear the ferry would lose millions in the first year, without even factoring in additional lost revenue due to breakdowns,  weather cancellations, etc.  I saw no way that it COULD ever work unless there was a significant increase in ticket prices (which were already high)

If I could do these calculations in my spare time with the limited public information available, and the specifications of the ship and number of runs per day, WHY COULDN'T THE GOVERNMENT do this and cancel the project from the start????  That's why I say - somebody must have known this - seemed like a strong possibility of criminal collusion.  

IF a private company thought they could run a ferry service at a profit, it would have HAPPENED on its own!  The Fast Ferry was a stunning example of either gross incompetence by the government OR outright negligence/corruption.  

LTS, I recall before the Fast Ferry became operational - there were detailed figures published on overhead and operational costs.  I then took the capacity of the ferry,  factored in ~90% capacity for ticket sales (which is VERY optimistic),   calculated the total possible ticket sales (number of trips x 90% capacity x price per ticket (splitting up between commercial and passenger traffic) to come up with an estimate of gross revenue per day.

I then compared the published costs per day vs possible gross revenue - it was clear the ferry would lose millions in the first year, without even factoring in additional lost revenue due to breakdowns,  weather cancellations, etc.  I saw no way that it COULD ever work unless there was a significant increase in ticket prices (which were already high)

If I could do these calculations in my spare time with the limited public information available, and the specifications of the ship and number of runs per day, WHY COULDN'T THE GOVERNMENT do this and cancel the project from the start????  That's why I say - somebody must have known this - seemed like a strong possibility of criminal collusion.  

IF a private company thought they could run a ferry service at a profit, it would have HAPPENED on its own!  The Fast Ferry was a stunning example of either gross incompetence by the government OR outright negligence/corruption.  

Go with the last option.

Penn State is ranked #1 in college hockey this week.

So Terry provided the resources and let sports people do their thing and success followed? Interesting that the one place in the sports world he's thrown his money but not his weight around is the one place there's been success.

What a novel concept.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.