Summer 2016 Movie/TV Show thread

qwksndmonster

What's so wrong with the movie? It's a superhero movie and I thought it did things every other superhero movie does wrong but got a ton right.

DC does not make movies good. I like Eisenberg, he was great in both the now you see me movies but Luther was horribly done. Wonder women was ok, the movie would have been better if she got more screen time. Superman is just a horrible horrible character. Batman was good, which surprised me since I thought if anything would go wrong it would of been Affleck as batman. in my opinion the movie was borderline unbearable. For me it sits right on the edge of why am I watching this. maybe the movie suffered from executive oversight or maybe snyder is just getting worse and worse. I have watched the extended cut and it was not much better so I am thinking snyder was the problem.

I guess I watched it with the knowledge that Superman just isn't a good character and not with the hope that he would be a fulfilling character for once. When you get beyond that I think they did a very good job considering what characters they're working with.

We all know every single superhero in these movies is untouchable. They'll never die. But Superman is presented as such in the movies which is redundant. We get it, he's all powerful and unkillable.

I saw Kubo and the 2 strings a few nights ago. Beautiful stop motion animation.

The people that made this movie love Avatar The Last Airbender and all the Zelda games, it's alarmingly clear from the art style and setpieces. The setting is, in a nutshell, Japanese Mythology.

The writing in the fist half of the movie was excellent, and I feel like if they had kept the movie simpler and slower paced then it could've really been something special. The end gets muddled and feels disconnected from the rest of the plot.

But, NONE of the main characters are voiced by Japanese people. They're all white. George Takei is there to voice the smallest role imaginable. That's really not okay in my book, and broke immersion for me a few times.

I'd still reccomend it. It's not a very kid-esque kids movie (and I'd prefer that it just be an adult movie that's animated, but oh well).

Edited by qwksndmonster

I guess I watched it with the knowledge that Superman just isn't a good character and not with the hope that he would be a fulfilling character for once. When you get beyond that I think they did a very good job considering what characters they're working with.

We all know every single superhero in these movies is untouchable. They'll never die. But Superman is presented as such in the movies which is redundant. We get it, he's all powerful and unkillable.

He's no Batman though.

http://wesb.com/man-dressed-as-superhero-steals-beer-from-store/

Last night I watched The Invitation. Wow. Best film I've seen in a long time. It's a psychological horror film. The creators of this movie have such control and knowledge of horror tropes and they turn so much on its own head.

I recommend this movie to everyone.

Is it reccomend or recommend? I've spelled it both ways today.

Last night I watched The Invitation. Wow. Best film I've seen in a long time. It's a psychological horror film. The creators of this movie have such control and knowledge of horror tropes and they turn so much on its own head.

Please tell me John Lynch plays a bad guy?

I saw Kubo and the 2 strings a few nights ago. Beautiful stop motion animation.

The people that made this movie love Avatar The Last Airbender and all the Zelda games, it's alarmingly clear from the art style and setpieces. The setting is, in a nutshell, Japanese Mythology.

The writing in the fist half of the movie was excellent, and I feel like if they had kept the movie simpler and slower paced then it could've really been something special. The end gets muddled and feels disconnected from the rest of the plot.

But, NONE of the main characters are voiced by Japanese people. They're all white. George Takei is there to voice the smallest role imaginable. That's really not okay in my book, and broke immersion for me a few times.

I'd still reccomend it. It's not a very kid-esque kids movie (and I'd prefer that it just be an adult movie that's animated, but oh well).

Why does this matter?  Would you feel the same way if a Japanese actor voiced a white character?

Also, it's "recommend."

Why does this matter? Would you feel the same way if a Japanese actor voiced a white character?

Also, it's "recommend."

It matters because it's a movie with Japanese characters. And I wouldn't feel the same way if it was the other way around because we live in a white-centric society where the majority of (especially hollywood) movie and tv show characters are white people. Now there's a movie with primarily japanese characters and they're all portrayed by white actors.

Even my favorite shows (Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul) are very very white.

And D4rk, I can neither confirm nor deny. But I mean, come on.

It matters because it's a movie with Japanese characters. And I wouldn't feel the same way if it was the other way around because we live in a white-centric society where the majority of (especially hollywood) movie and tv show characters are white people. Now there's a movie with primarily japanese characters and they're all portrayed by white actors.

Even my favorite shows (Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul) are very very white.

And D4rk, I can neither confirm nor deny. But I mean, come on.

:lol:

I'm 2 episodes into Stranger Things.  I can see why people like it.

I'm also watching BrainDead, which I wasn't expecting to enjoy.  Never would have even checked it out if Tony Shalhoub weren't in it.  The jingle recaps are fun.

Unrelated to summer, I got caught up on The Walking Dead.  I see now why everyone was so upset about the finale.  I moved onto Fear the Walking Dead, but don't really care for it too much.

Accommodate, accumulate, embarrass... it's a diabolic language.

I'll be finishing up "Lost Girl" on Netflix in the next day or two. Come for the gratuitous side-boob and girls making out, stay for the.. um, that's about it really. It's not that great of a show and tends to be awfully formulaic and deus ex machina. On the bright side, it's shot in Toronto/Hamilton, so you get a few familiar shots and Canadianisms (they mention Niagara in a bunch of places, there's a football-themed episode with the 110-yard field, etc.). And lots of side boob. I'm weak.

Edited by MattPie

I'll be finishing up "Lost Girl" on Netflix in the next day or two. Come for the gratuitous side-boob and girls making out, stay for the.. um, that's about it really. It's not that great of a show and tends to be awfully formulaic and deus ex machina. On the bright side, it's shot in Toronto/Hamilton, so you get a few familiar shots and Canadianisms (they mention Niagara in a bunch of places, there's a football-themed episode with the 110-yard field, etc.). And lots of side boob. I'm weak.

An honest man if there ever was one :D

Saw War Dogs last night. It was pretty severely boring.

Jonah Hill has a funny laugh that he does throughout the movie, it's pretty great.

I didn't like The Big Short very much, but I recognize its value as a film. Not to mention Steve Carell was incredible.

After Adam McKay showed that he can go from directing bro comedies (Anchorman 1 & 2) to a Serious Movie (The Big Short). Todd Phillips (The Hangover) thought that he could do the same.

War Dogs tries hard to be like The Big Short in structure and tone. Not only does it fall short, but I don't even know what message they were trying to send.

The soundtrack was a really boring mix of classic rock that reminded me a lot of the Suicide Squad soundtrack.

And this is a minor, but dear in my heart, quip: all the smoking weed shots in this movie were boring and uninteresting.

Saw War Dogs last night. It was pretty severely boring.

Jonah Hill has a funny laugh that he does throughout the movie, it's pretty great.

I didn't like The Big Short very much, but I recognize its value as a film. Not to mention Steve Carell was incredible.

After Adam McKay showed that he can go from directing bro comedies (Anchorman 1 & 2) to a Serious Movie (The Big Short). Todd Phillips (The Hangover) thought that he could do the same.

War Dogs tries hard to be like The Big Short in structure and tone. Not only does it fall short, but I don't even know what message they were trying to send.

The soundtrack was a really boring mix of classic rock that reminded me a lot of the Suicide Squad soundtrack.

And this is a minor, but dear in my heart, quip: all the smoking weed shots in this movie were boring and uninteresting.

Nope.

Don't mean this in a bad way at all, movies are obviously exceptionally subjective. But I've realized I can go to you for movie reviews: if you disliked a movie, I'll like it. And vice versa :p

Seriously don't think our movie opinions have matched up once, from what I've read, haha.

Spotlight had some of the worst over-acting.

Yosemite, an adaptation of a James Franco book and with James Franco, was good but left me wanting more, wanting to feel more, which maybe was the point.

I thought the acting in Spotlight was sublime. Ruffalo also was particularly amazing. Probably my favourite movie from last year.

Nope.

Don't mean this in a bad way at all, movies are obviously exceptionally subjective. But I've realized I can go to you for movie reviews: if you disliked a movie, I'll like it. And vice versa :p

Seriously don't think our movie opinions have matched up once, from what I've read, haha.

Hahaha you and True both :lol: Edited by qwksndmonster

Saw Sausage Party the other day. Highly entertaining although you should probably be inebriated in some way. Can't wait for season 2 of Ash vs Evil Dead to start again this fall.

Snoop Dog doesnt have enough cheeba to make me laugh at that movie. Worst movie I've seen since the beach.

Snoop Dog doesnt have enough cheeba to make me laugh at that movie. Worst movie I've seen since the beach.

Right? I had high hopes and was completely let down. It might be me though, I'm getting a little bit...over Seth Rogen. All his characters are exactly the same, even when he's playing a hot dog.

Right? I had high hopes and was completely let down. It might be me though, I'm getting a little bit...over Seth Rogen. All his characters are exactly the same, even when he's playing a hot dog.

Yeah I feel like he and his boys had a month long smoke sesh and this was the result.

I laughed my ass off watching that movie. It's definitely low brow humor but I got a kick out of it.

Yeah I feel like he and his boys had a month long smoke sesh and this was the result.

Well, yeah. It's a stoner comedy movie where the items in a grocery store are alive and the only way that humans become aware of this is for them to be on bath salts. It wasn't made to be compared with Shakespeare or Steven Spielberg.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.