Evander Kane : Two crime reports filed in nightclub incident

Hoss

Edit (again): Evidently, a violation is defined as an "offence" under New York Penal Law. Some offences are crimes - some are not.

Link to the article.

Evander Kane will face non-criminal charges for Buffalo bar incidents
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabres-nhl/evander-kane-will-face-non-criminal-charges-for-buffalo-bar-incidents-20160707

Does the fact that the woman involved in this has not come forward prevent these from being criminal charges?

sounded as though some have come forward - one has not.

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but ouch:

Sabres forward Evander Kane put his hands on four people - three women and a man - at a Chippewa Street bar during the early morning of June 24 but he will face non-criminal harassment charges for his actions against just two women, two police sources familiar with the case told The Buffalo News.

The charges will be lodged in connection with grabbing two women – one of them by the neck - and are based on witness statements and surveillance camera video, the police sources said.

Kane also yanked the hair and grabbed the throat of a third woman, but she has not come forward to press charges, the sources said. In addition, Kane grabbed a bouncer after the bouncer warned the hockey star to stop his aggressive behavior, the police sources said.

In the first incident at 3:11 a.m. police stated:

“... While inside Bottoms Up nightclub, suspect threatened complainant and made derogatory comments to her. While outside ... suspect grabbed complainant around the throat and tried pushing her into his car.”

In the second incident at 3:15 a.m., police stated:

“… that while inside Bottoms Up, suspect grabbed her by the arms and tried forcing her out of the bar.”

It is unknown if Kane was intoxicated at the time of the incidents, the police sources said.

Kane, who is 6-foot-2 and 205 pounds, tried to engage the bouncer in a physical confrontation, the sources said.

“The bouncer told him to knock it off,” one of the sources said of Kane’s physically harassing the women. “He put his hands on the bouncer who could have crushed him but the guy didn’t want to hurt him. It’s all on tape.

http://sabres.buffalonews.com/2016/07/07/evander-kane-will-face-non-criminal-charges-for-buffalo-bar-incidents/

If true, that's pretty much all I need to see. Violence against women should not be tolerated by the Sabres. Put the new info. into context now and what does it say about what happened in the hotel? Why should this guy ever play another minute for the Sabres?

As always, I am sure Kane has a story to tell about how it came to be that he was grabbing several women -- one by the hair and throat -- at 3:00 a.m. at a sh1tty bar.

*Sigh*

It is almost certainly not a compelling story. In any case, we are unlikely to hear it.

My best guess: Evander needs to lay off whatever recreational substance(s) that tend(s) to lead him into confrontations like this one. Because I don't think this sort of stuff happens if the guy's sober.

Sounds Like Kane can't handle his liquor. instant ###### just add booze

I don't think it's liquor that does it to him.

Why should this guy ever play another minute for the Sabres?

Although I'm not necessarily inclined to invoke the haze that was the incident at HarborCenter, this is not an unfair position to take.

As always, I am sure Kane has a story to tell about how it came to be that he was grabbing several women -- one by the hair and throat -- at 3:00 a.m. at a sh1tty bar.

*Sigh*

It is almost certainly not a compelling story. In any case, we are unlikely to hear it.

My best guess: Evander needs to lay off whatever recreational substance(s) that tend(s) to lead him into confrontations like this one. Because I don't think this sort of stuff happens if the guy's sober.

To the bolded, I'm not sure I care. If I'm the GM, I'm actively trying to get my hands on the surveillance tape, and if Evander is initiating the violence, I'm terminating his contract and worrying about the Grievance Arbitration later.

Really? Now you "do tell!"

And if'n that's true, I reckon I'm gonna hafta sh1t in my hat after all. (I told someone here (in a PM?) that I would do so if the two weren't one in the same.)

Oof. I wish it were a good story. It really isn't. 

I started typing some of the language I recall hearing, and then thought better of it. We're all better off if it's not re-published (even with the filters).

Different people... Nothing more to say than that.

To the bolded, I'm not sure I care. If I'm the GM, I'm actively trying to get my hands on the surveillance tape, and if Evander is initiating the violence, I'm terminating his contract and worrying about the Grievance Arbitration later.

I'm sure I don't care.

Also, I don't really care if Evander initiated the violence.  

In regards to seeing the tape, I would like to see it if I am the GM of the Sabres, but even if I can't there is mounting evidence that Evander is not the type of person that I want on the Sabres ... I would terminate his contract as a player immediately, but keep him as an employee (not sure how) and get him the help he needs.

I'm sure I don't care.

Also, I don't really care if Evander initiated the violence.  

In regards to seeing the tape, I would like to see it if I am the GM of the Sabres, but even if I can't there is mounting evidence that Evander is not the type of person that I want on the Sabres ... I would terminate his contract as a player immediately, but keep him as an employee (not sure how) and get him the help he needs.

This is magnanimous. You are a good man.

Being charged with an "offense," whatever that means, and a statement that there is a video aren't the same as "he did it." 

Nobody here knows what happened, and no one will know unless and until the parties admit it or the video is released -- and perhaps not even then.

Everyone here is free to speculate that/whether an offense occurred, but it is just speculation.

More from the TBN article:

Attorney Paul J. Cambria, who represents Kane, vehemently denied the allegations and said he, too, has looked at the videos and spoken to people associated with the ownership of the nightclub and to his client.

Advertisement

“Evander steadfastly maintains that he did not do anything wrong. We have seen the videos and they do not support that Kane did anything wrong,” Cambria said. “I am sick and tired of anonymous sources making inflammatory allegations. If you claim something happened, don’t hide in the shadows. Anonymous sources are worthless. The courtroom is where the truth comes out.”

Being charged with an "offense," whatever that means, and a statement that there is a video aren't the same as "he did it." 

Nobody here knows what happened, and no one will know unless and until the parties admit it or the video is released -- and perhaps not even then.

Everyone here is free to speculate that/whether an offense occurred, but it is just speculation.

Witness statements - Check

Reports of Video - Check

Charges Pending - Check

Prior Reports of Abuse Towards Women - Check

Previous Locker Room Issues With Teammates - Check

Aggressive and Fearless Play On The Ice - Check

Great Fighter - Check

Consensus D-Bag on Instagram - Check

Prefers Chippewa to Other City Areas - Check

Yes, we better wait for the "facts" to come out. 

Blame the alcohol, not Evander is the new spin. 

Blame the bomb, not the terrorist.

I didn't intend to blame booze or cocaine or whatever. Kane is responsible for his actions. I do think that he's acting this way while under the influence of something is all.

To the bolded, I'm not sure I care. 

Fair, for the reasons stated above. I was just positing a theory that drug abuse may be a factor in his inability to stay out of trouble.

Different people... Nothing more to say than that.

I hear you.

Reports of Video - Check

Charges Pending - Check

Great Fighter - Check

That's just awful.

LGR4GM, on 07 Jul 2016 - 1:29 PM, said:

Considering how bungled the Buffalo News and other outlets handled the Patrick Kane investigation and how eager they are to condemn Evander Kane, I will wait until more facts emerge. It does not look good for Evander.

Yeah, but P. Kane was guilty regardless of the outcome.  Don't you remember?  The people prosecuting him (P. Kane) before the DA made his final statement were right all along. 

Reports of Video - Check

Charges Pending - Check

Great Fighter - Check

EDIT: This was a dumb response on my part and I'm sorry for it

Edited by sabills

Reports of Video - Check

Charges Pending - Check

Great Fighter - Check

How can most of those be used as "facts" to charge Kane with anything?

What's awful? How we all have to be "reminded" we don't have all the facts unless a videotape is released or someone admits to it. Like the Sabres would allow either of those things to ever happen. 

Don't worry, my friend.

Some either refuse to believe, or just can't handle, the truth.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.