Around the NHL: 2016 Offseason

Hoss

He's been playing in the Foxboro league with Vesey.

Who with his dedication to his craft has changed Eichel like Samson got beefed up. Thanks Jimmy Vesey! I think Jack takes no this coming season.

Yes, we hate the Leafs.

But Shanahan's mailbag-type piece for the Players Tribune is well worth a read:

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/mailbag-brendan-shanahan/

The bit at the end about Hull correcting Sean Avery is priceless.

Good stuff.. I think the following is super relevant when we love to question why certain moves are made.

For example, people will always ask me, “Who taught you how to shoot? Brett Hull?” And I’ll tell them, “No actually, it was Doug Sulliman.” Doug was a veteran guy when I joined the Devils early in my career. Playingwise he was in and out of the lineup, but he impacted my career because he had the time and the interest to pay it forward to us young guys and help us learn how to be pros. You can learn from superstars by watching them, but those guys have so much pressure on them that they need to put all their focus into doing their job. So it’s hard for them to spend a lot of time dissecting the game of a young player who’s coming up, and explaining to them how to improve. Also, sometimes a guy with that level of talent is just so naturally gifted that they can’t really fully explain it to others.

I caught that as well. 

Moulson, anyone?

I get it in theory but no. I'm sure Doug Sulliman wasn't making the equivalent of 5 mil. A better guy at this stage might be Gio but even that's a reach. I say this because I{ have no idea who the hell Doug Sulliman was.

I get it in theory but no. I'm sure Doug Sulliman wasn't making the equivalent of 5 mil. A better guy at this stage might be Gio but even that's a reach. I say this because I{ have no idea who the hell Doug Sulliman was.

Well, the larger issue is just that of bringing in good veterans who are going to help young players learn how to become professionals.

And, yeah. Gio is a good call as well.

Well, the larger issue is just that of bringing in good veterans who are going to help young players learn how to become professionals.

The question would be does Gionta wall into the "superstar" category that has a tough time explaining how what he's doing with his shot or can he teach? I'd tend to think a guy that once scored 50 goals (right?) falls into the "I just shoot the puck at the place where the goalie isn't going to be; easy!" camp.

The question would be does Gionta wall into the "superstar" category that has a tough time explaining how what he's doing with his shot or can he teach? I'd tend to think a guy that once scored 50 goals (right?) falls into the "I just shoot the puck at the place where the goalie isn't going to be; easy!" camp.

his one big season notwithstanding: hell to the naw.

from 2005-2011 he was a consistent 20+ goal scorer in the NHL. I would say that he knows how to get to the open areas of the ice and how to score goals.

From 2005-2009 he was a 20 goal scorer on the NJD, a team that has played some of the most defensive hockey ever witnessed for the better part of 30 years now. 

from 2005-2011 he was a consistent 20+ goal scorer in the NHL. I would say that he knows how to get to the open areas of the ice and how to score goals.

From 2005-2009 he was a 20 goal scorer on the NJD, a team that has played some of the most defensive hockey ever witnessed for the better part of 30 years now. 

I agree. The question is, can Gionta explain how he does that?

I agree. The question is, can Gionta explain how he does that?

Well he's been captain over assistant captain for every team he's played for since 2008, wait no in 2009 the Devil's took away his 'A' but outside that Captain or Assistant so I would guess he can communicate to some degree because leaders have to. 

Well then to the larger question Moulson fits.  

I do not process this. No Gio is not in the superstar mold. Do you think he helps younger players learn the game? There's a good reason this man has been a Captain for so long, in so many places. His role is legit and he backs it up. 

MattPie, I give you exhibit C

I have total and complete confidence that Gionta is the kind of player and professional who is capable of imparting knowledge to younger players.

And MattPie this notion is exhibit B

Jack and Sam acknowledged that Legwand was very helpful in showing them how to prepare for every game of an 82 game season.  Gorges is Risto's binky.

3putt, this is so right. MattPie, exhibit A.

If I had my druthers I'd say Leggie's time has come and gone for us. Thank you for your service good man and good luck catching a ride somewhere. You will get nothing but glowing remarks from the Sabres organization who will gladly admit, you still have a role to fill on another team.

Gio has one year left and should be left to fill his term with us. He's our Captain and we all respect that. He has one more year and I hope we make magic in it!

I think Moulson was a little of that and there was a perception that he could put up points.

The problem was that he didn't adapt well.  This season will be the tell-tale one for him.  Can he put himself in a position on DDB's team to be productive or will be trade/buyout candidate?

But yes, he wanted to be here.  He was going to be sought after that off-season.  He had ties to others and was a stabilizing presence.

Roy out in Colorado

https://twitter.com/kristen_shilton

Patrick Roy announces he's leaving Colorado Avalanche organization, where he was head coach and VP of hockey ops

Roy says vision of HC/VP needs to be aligned with organization and he must have say in decisions team makes, but those needs not being met.

Roy was critical of Avs' core in April. Said team needed more leadership, more character guys in room. Mindset needed to change.

Roy out in Colorado

Patrick Roy announces he's leaving Colorado Avalanche organization, where he was head coach and VP of hockey ops

Roy says vision of HC/VP needs to be aligned with organization and he must have say in decisions team makes, but those needs not being met.

Roy was critical of Avs' core in April. Said team needed more leadership, more character guys in room. Mindset needed to change.

Dammit, that was so much fun.

Roy out in Colorado

And the reason behind retaining Barrie comes to light

Sakic is still there, no? No reason to believe Roy leaving suddenly makes them a well run organization.

Him leaving can only improve them. MacKinnon was about to be ruined

Dammit, that was so much fun.

My reaction too

Sakic is still there, no? No reason to believe Roy leaving suddenly makes them a well run organization.

There is that. But Roy seems to have brought a unique brand of incompetence to the table.

With Roy gone, my bet is that Sakic will resume listening to his career professionals (who, I presume, are generally competent hockey people).

I understand that this was a "resign or you'll be fired" scenario. I heard that Roy wanted a strong/prominent/controlling voice/role in player-personnel matters. The FO wanted him out of that entirely. Good decision by COL.

You do not get to talk to Mr. Sakic.

:w00t: